3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow tuning  (Read 141 times)

Offline R.L.Boone

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow tuning
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Just bought a legacy PSE long bow 50#@28"my draw is 46#@ 27" what is some of your suggestions for arrows, I bought a 28" 30 to 50 pound thunderstorm  at walmart just to try. The carbon express website says it's a 499 spine can these be made to shot out of this bow?

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow tuning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Randy,

You will prob need to leave it the full "28 and use a fairly heavy tip. I would guess somewhere between 150 and 200grns maybe more. You could also experiment with sideplate thickness if point weight does not work.

Just for comparison, I shoot "28 CE150 with a 50grn insert and 175grn heads out of a pronounced r/d longbow. It is 58lbs at my draw of "27.  Good luck!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
If you are looking for quality arrows for a great price than I recommend getting the Easton Legacy series shafts. I would figure you at about a 2016 cut to 29" with 150 grain points.
James Kerr

Offline R.L.Boone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Thought I would update on my tunning, ordered some test points, put new 5" feathers and 175 gr. point on the arrow mentioned above,had my wife to watch arrow flight as I shot she said it  flew straight with no wobble to it. The thing I was trying to find out was if I  these arrows were close to what I need. I will do more paper test but can it be this simple or was this just blind luck?

Offline R.L.Boone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Paper tunning didn't go as well as I thought it would had to go to 250 gr. up front to get the arrow to shoot straight at 9 ft If I go to a 29" arrow instead of a 28" how much should that weaken spine?I would like to get front weight down to 225 gr.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
try these sites:
 http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/basic1.htm
 http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
They cover paper and bare shaft tuning (paper tuning never worked for me with my recurves)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by R.L.Boone:
Paper tunning didn't go as well as I thought it would had to go to 250 gr. up front to get the arrow to shoot straight at 9 ft If I go to a 29" arrow instead of a 28" how much should that weaken spine?I would like to get front weight down to 225 gr.
A rough rule of thumb is 1" of shaft length equals app. 5# of spine,equals app. 25 grs of point weight.At least that is a starting point but every setup is different.You just have to tune and see what works for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©