3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dangerous hunts  (Read 1283 times)

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
dangerous hunts
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
i woud like to here some of your most terrifying
hunts where you get attacked or even lost.  :scared:   :eek:  

thanks! jake  ;)
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dangerous hunts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
I was returning from the back side of a mountain last week.  Some idiot drove into our fields at dawn and chased the deer over the mountain.  I went over looking for them.  As I was returning, i swung my left leg over a barbed wire and the next thing I knew I was hanging upside down.  Pretty impressive how much a barbed wire can make a leg look like a chainsaw accident.  My point is anytime we're afield, a bad thing can change routine to damgerous.  It was not terrifying, just painful!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
lol... wow! it must of been a pain walking back to your house or truck.  :eek:

jake
   >>>----------->

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
YOUCH!!!  Pain, Blood, and Boogered Up Your Drawers in the Process!!  :scared:  
  I am Glad You Got Home to Tell about it Too!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
same here... glad to hear it from you and not on the news.  :)
   >>>----------->

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
I don't know about the most terrifying as I'm seldom get scared while out, concerned yes but not terrified. But I've had a few "memoriable" ones. I'll give you a rememberance or two while I'm waiting to go caribou hunting tomorrow. Yeah two herds plus grouse opens...

Back in the late 60's & early 70's I used to hunt Nason Creek every chance I got. Once I tried to step on a black bear and I mean within a foot. We both were surprised. It was like slow motion. Him a tearing up the brush trying to get away and me trying to climb an imaginary ladder into space while getting hit by that flying brush. As I was young then I had to go back to camp & sample the Jack alot to clam my shakes as hunting was no longer on my mind that morning.

Another time there I walked right up accidentely like within 5 feet on mother mountain lion and her two cubs. She was mad and was letting me know it. As I was tired afer chasing mulies all day I wanted no fight so she kindly let me back off. Why she didn't attack is a mystery but for me a good ending.

While sheep hunting a few years back I decided to take a short cut off this mountain and try and find a better way down. Bad decision! I ended up falling, rolling, jumping to limbs and clawing to get down. Ripped my clothes & gear up good and lost a item or two but I had no choice as it was a one way trip and that was down. My old body was battered and bruised but everything worked when I got to the bottom but then I had to work my way out of a very heavy black spruce. Note to self after that was to take my normal route.

And one more as I don't want to bore you. Again I was sheep hunting and I walked within 10-15 yards of a grizzly laying on his kill. Now mister bear was so kind to give me a low warning growl which I thought was a bird drumming as I was in heavy cover and promply ignored it, next step the volume picked up but I still hadn't seen him but by now I knew it wasn't a bird, so I took one more step and I swear God spoke! I have never ever heard such a loud growl in my life. It literally shake the forest. Yep he got my full undivided attention alright. I saw him just a laying there staring at me. He also like the mommy couger let me slowly retreat. Yep alot can happen when you are out in the bush.
John/AK

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Back when I was 19 and at the time had just began dating my wife.  Her family owned a few commercial turkey houses and about 300 yards behind these buildings was the pit that they threw the turkeys that died each day.  Each house contained 30,000 birds so 10-15 dead birds a day was common.  My now fater-in-law told me I could go sit in the brush and watch the pit and easily shoot a coyote or hog that would come there to feed each evening.  I had been sitting about an hour when I heard someone walking up.  It turned out to be the ranch hand who was a few years younger than me.  He was holding a rifle and asked if he could sit with me.  I said sure (not like I had an option at that point) so we both sat there and waited.  About 30 minutes went by when the guy said that he wanted to step out of the brush to get a better look down the right-of-way. (OH BROTHER!!!!)  As soon as he did he began shooting and yelling.  I stepped out and saw about 15 hogs running across the clearing approx. 200 yards away.  By this time I was hacked, but  I walked down with him to "see what he hit"    :rolleyes:  
When we got down to where the hogs entered the brush we found a huge briar thicket that had trails cut through it about 18-24" high.  We got on our knees and looked through the maze of trails and could see hogs moving through this mess of vines and brush.  The guy's first comment was, "I'll crawl in there if you will."
Not wanting to be shown up by a youngster, I didn't hesitate to belly crawl my way in.  The ranch hand went on a trail right next to me.  The hogs began to run in all directions and once we were about 30 feet in most had left the area.  We then heard the distinct squealing of small pigs, but it was coming from behind us.  Within a second we also heard the grunting of a ticked off sow and she was in front of us.  We had somehow got in between a sow and her pigs and the sow was having none of that!  It was all I could do to get my gun up and shoot.  She dropped about 10 feet in front of me.  Was only about 100 pounds, but when you cant stand up or move to the side it felt like I was tied to a railroad track with a train coming!  I tried to act like it was no big deal (trying to be tough in front of the guy) and I guess it worked.  

The things we do as kids!   :biglaugh:
Cody Weiser

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Back in the 80's I was charged by an injured 8 point buck. Luckily he was weak and I was able to bulldog him to the ground.  Got a good bruise on my leg for the trouble.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
last fall while squirrel hunting with a bow, I decided to take along mt 22 handgun for target practice,glad I did, as I walked back in the evening, I came inches away from stepping on a coiled up cottonmouth, that little ruger came in handy
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Several years ago, I was climbing into my treestand when one of my screw-in steps broke off. I managed to hold onto an upper step with one hand, but swang into the tree with my full body weight. When I hit the tree, the step that I was stepping up to ripped thru my hunting pants and "racked the twins" so to speak. I, with much care, took my free hand and dislodged myself from the step and very slowly climbed down. When I reached the ground I noticed blood on my pants near the tear and dropped my pants to check for damage. What I found was a tree-step shaped gash in my scrotum and my left testicle was now on the outside of my scrotum. I immediately broke into a sweat and tried to calm myself. After trying to take a couple of steps, I found that I couldn't walk with "one of the boys" out of place! Then, as carefully as possible, put my testicle back in place and pulled my underwear up tight and held them there to keep everything in place. Walked to my friend's house and hitched a ride to the hospital.....some painful clean-up and 11 stitches later, everything was back where it belonged. Took a couple of weeks to heal and let me tell you, I shook like a leaf the next time I climbed a tree. I no longer use screw-in steps....climbing sticks and ladderstands only. The folding steps were new and from a quality manufacturer. I bought them in bulk form a local archery shop. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that the steps were recommended for upto 185# and it was clearly stated on the package. I didn't get a package as I bought in bulk and I weigh  #250. By the way, I still sing bass in the church choir! Hunt hard, hunt safe-Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Mike, now I remember why I hunt from the ground most of the time!!
And I also remember why I hate screw in tree steps.   :eek:
Mel Riley

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
One time, no, I can't tell it.  It's to scary.  If I told it, you guys would never go in the woods again.

Rob

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
1985 Grizzly Bear attack in Montana while Elk hunting....added 10 yrs to my life.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Alright, MAN-LAW #13 is being invoked on Strutter and Joe Skipp. No teasing on a good story for more than one hour......and it's up !!!
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Bolin:
What I found was a tree-step shaped gash in my scrotum and my left testicle was now on the outside of my scrotum.
Game over.  You win.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Mike ...that was the nuttiest story ive ever heard  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shadow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Are you saying Mike's new handle should be Onehunglow? I would agree that beats everything else hands down, Hurts just thinking about it.

Shadow Hunter
Hunting in the foot steps of Legends.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
....I've heard /em all fellars. You prolly noticed that Bolin rhymes with swollen?!  :rolleyes:  This mess even made the local outdoors section of our Sunday paper. My 15 minutes of fame! LOL!!! Mike

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
shadow...it's definitely not two hung low...!!! ouch!!! Mike..maybe you better not make the trip to michigan...now i know too much about ya... kidding bud... come chase some of these deer with me... they keep eating my flowers!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
steve, No offense taken buddy. When you work construction and something like that makes the paper, you' better not get your feelings hurt too easy! Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©