3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dangerous hunts  (Read 1286 times)

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dangerous hunts
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
when i was in eighth grade(3 years ago) i was shooting a compound and carbon arrows. i live with my mom and i was basically teaching myself how to bowhunt. i knew nothing about carbon arrows or that they could crack. well i had one cracked just past the fletchings that i had set in a pile of arrows i don't shoot. well i forgot about it and accidentaly grabbed the broke arrow. i pulled it back and as i let it go there was a huge flash and a loud noise. the bow shot out of my arm and i just stood there confused. i then felt something roll down my arm. i looked down to see a piece of the arrow sticking out of my forearm. well to make a long story short the arrow shattered hit me in the forearm right in between 3 major arteries.

anyways i got a ride in the ambulance, and after a lot of tests and plenty of morphine the doctor pulled the arrow out of my arm with a pair of pliers(like you have in your toolbox). i guess i was just really lucky. since then i switched to traditional bows and aluminum arrows but i'm starting to fool around with carbons again.

like i tell everyone else, at least it makes for a good story.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Bigfoot ?   :scared:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
TX Sweat, 06.  I'd had a great time with Curtis and the bunch; but hadn't killed anything which was just fine with me.  Last night, I went out "rabbit hunting" , really just plinking and enjoying the ranch.  20 minutes before dark, I stepped into a sendero and looking down the path saw 3 hogs feeding along the path.  I faded back into the sparse brush and got ready.  Two of them slipped off the sendero and under a fence before they got into my shooting lane.  The third still ambled along and was not quite in shooting position when he winded me.  He turned directly facing me and "growled"  Wild hogs don't "oink".  Due to the length of their head, I had nothing to shoot at because his head covered his chest and all but his feet.  I really did feel that he was about to come for me so I decided to shoot him in the head.  Aimed right between his eyes and be damned if the arrow didn't go exactly where I looked.  Sounded like I'd shot the broadhead into a telephone pole from 6 feet when it buried itself between his eyes.  He immediately charged, but went into the brush about 10 feet to my right.  I could hear the aluminum shaft bouncing off brush for about 40 yards, and then all was quiet.  I thought the arrow would have been broken off or knocked out but later serious looking that night and the next morning found no arrow and no blood.  I hope that hog is OK.  Had I not shot him, I think he'd have come for me.  Judging by the hog Charlie Lamb shot, I'd guess the one I shot weighed 250-300 pounds.  Curtis said when they get that big, they have no natural predators and can become aggressive.  I had a blast and only regret that I wounded a fine animal and didn't recover it.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
I've got one.

I was hunting on my farm about 8-9yrs ago.I was in a red oak tree about 16ft of the ground. The tree sits on a very gental slope, stick weeds for 25yds from the grass road that divides the big woods just above me.Down below me are some pines and small oaks, a funnel you could say. Now i can see our barn out in the meadow and i'm watching a hawk chase some sguirrels way out behind me. I had some time on my hands because the buck i was after wasn't due for two hrs. I had my widow hanging in front of me because i was in the big fork of that tree and limbs all around me. I was well hid.

I was peeling an acorn with my two index fingers, and not moveing anything else. I was lost in making something out of that little acorn...maybe 10-15mins.

all of the sudden it was like somebody swung at me with a ball bat! I swapped in the direction of that huey landing claws extended and it just about took me out of the tree!! I looked up and saw him
 go striat up! he was a very big hawk.

He could have ripped my hands off if i hadn't heard him comeing at the last second!!WHEW!!

I don't were face paint anymore...
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
One winter many years ago and when I wasn't so smart. I was tightening a three bladed broad head with my fingers. As you can guess it slipped and I cut my thumb and first two fingers to the bone. It was a good thing we had snow, because I kept packing my fingers in snow to slow the bleeding. I won't forget that trip!!!

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
nothing too exciting for me....i was walking thru a michigan farm woodlot down a soft quiet trail about an hour before light....when i jumped a group of deer that took off on my left... i couldnt see anything because it was pitch dark, but it sounded like 3 or 4 deer.. as i stood there another deer started slowly running right for me from my right side...All i had was a pen light and this buck stopped about 4 feet from me and i could hear him snotting, and wheezing as he was trying to figure out what broke up his party with the does...i thought for sure he was gonna let me have it, but he decided to turn and slowly walk away.... I think that was the fastest i ever made it to a tree stand and sat down.....the hunter became the hunted...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
TTT
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Many years ago I was spring black bear hunting along the Northfork of the Flathead River.  Like most river bottoms in this country, the cover was thick with head high red willow and other dense vegetation. The only way through this tangle was by following some game trails which meander around and occassionally go through small meadows where bears like to feed on the tender young spring vegetation.   I had just crossed a small creek and climbed up a muddy bank when the brush about 50 yrds ahead of me shook as an adult grizzly stood up and started swinging its head to and fro trying to catch sight of the trespasser in its domain.  When the bear spotted me I saw its hackles rise and I hear a low rumble become a full out roar as it dropped to all fours and charged.  Before I even had time to react it stopped at about 15 yards, gave me a hard stare and walked away.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Not really dangerous hunts but weird things occured while hunting:

Where we deer hunt, losing deer to bears and coyotes has been an on going problem for us the last several years. Two years ago on our last night of hunting, I drilled a doe pretty good. She took off and collapsed about 40 yards away. Being the last night, I waited about 15 minutes, took down the steps and the stand, went and gutted the deer and dragged her back to the stand location. I was going to attempt to drag out the deer, my bow, pack, clothes, stand and steps all in one trip but only made it about 20 yards before I figured out it would be too much. I dropped the deer and brought everything else out to the two track and was back to the deer about 20-25 minutes later.

Upon arriving, I came upon a really good sized bear who already had laid claim to the gut pile. Thinking of course that the bear had the deer on it's mind and was going to follow the blood trail from the gut pile to the deer, I started yelling and waving at the bear to get him to hit the road. After two weeks of terrible hunting, there was no way in the world I was letting a stinking bear get that deer.  Most of our encounters with bears up to that point had been uneventful with every bear leaving as quickly as possible. But much to my surprise, this one wasn't real anxious to leave. He stood on his hind legs and looked at me, snapping his jaws several times. He bluffed/charged twice a few yards toward me and then reluctantly backed away, all the while looking back snapping his jaws as he wandered slowly back into the woods.  

Needless to say, I BACKED all the way out of the woods and back to the two track with the deer. 8~)

-------------

Back in about 89 or 90 (I forgot), we were up in Ontario moose hunting. The story we had was that this area had been closed by the MNR for 15 years and the year we were there was the first time it had been opened back up for hunting. The trek back to where we hunted was almost a one day trip in itself, with atv's, rowboats, argos, the whole nine yards so obviously many of the animals we encountered probably had never seen a human being before.

We found that indeed, all the animals we encountered literally had no fear - especially the wolves.

One day we were back at the camp for lunch and I decided to walk down this old, old logging road to shoot some judos. As I got some distance from the camp, I had an eerie feeling I can't describe come over me, but I knew I was not alone - I was being watched. Lo and behold - I was. Somewhat unnerved, I slowly turned around and not 30 yards behind was a jet black wolf, just sitting on the trail, looking at me - much in the same way a dog would just sit. He did not seem at all tense or threatened by my presence. My gut feeling was that he was just curious but I wasn't about to wait to find out. I yelled a little and waved my arms and he just got up, slowly walked about 10 yards down the trail in the opposite direction, turned and gave me one last look like, "What in the world is THAT?" and just quietly turned off the trail into the thick bush and disappeared.

LOL, needless to say I didn't waste any time at all getting my hind end back to the camp. I hate to admit it but it shook me up a little bit.  But I also have to say that when I think back to that trip, it is always one of the first things I think of and it was definitely one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had while hunting - I will never forget it.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mitch-In-NJ:

Originally posted by Mike Bolin:
What I found was a tree-step shaped gash in my scrotum and my left testicle was now on the outside of my scrotum.
Game over.  You win. [/b]
no doubt! I hurt just thinkin about it!

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Was out coyote hunting at night once with a mouth blown rabbit in distress call....long story short, lost my hat to a great horned owl that at the time I would have sworn had a 10 ft wingspan! Man them talons are wicked sharp!!!!1

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
oh yeah, there was the time I nearly shot my eye out with a .22 that bounced back off a limb or something. I was trying to shoot a coon out of the tree when BAM...I was seeing stars and not much else. The bullet was apparently tumbling and hit the bone rihgt on the edge of my eye socket. No penetration but a tiny bruise the exact silhouette of a 22 bullet, 1/16" to the left and I would be blind in one eye for sure!

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Ok no attacking animals but scary situations.

The first was after a big ice storm in MD. I was deer hunting in a watershed area. I was walking to my stand and was looking at how pretty the ice was. It was much thicker than at my house. A I walked down the trail to my stand I watched the top of a tree (yes the whole top) fall about 50 yards away. Needless to say I decided that day was not the day to go hunting.

Another situation earlier in another season. Again in MD. I was in a tree stand it was warm and in the middle of the day so I had gotten cofortable and closed my eyes. Above me I heard a crack then another. I grabed my bow and leaned hard to my right. This large limb brushed me and my treestand as it fell to the ground. I was unhurt but pretty shaken after that.  I didn't see it as I climbed the tree but it must have been ready to fall. Leaves were still on so I probably missed it because of that. Pretty scary.
Jason Lester

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Like John/Alaska at the beginning of this thread we used to hunt the Nason creek area quite a bit during the early 70s.   There is an airstrip there that had a small campground around it.  Next us a man and his wife were staying in a camper.  They had a big black dog that if I remember right was a Newfoundland.

Since it was hot my friend and I decided that rather then sleep in the back of his truck to instead lay our sleeping bags out on some dry leaves under a nearby tree.  This made for a pretty cozy bed. About one in the morning I woke up to something rattling the garage can that was located 30 yards or so from were we were laying and half way between our camp and our neighbors.  In the dark I thought at first it must have been the dog, but after a few minutes it became apparent that the black furry animal trying to crawl into the can was in fact a bear! You never saw two more scared teenagers then us.  Laying there in our bags on those noisy leaves we were both afraid to move and felt totally helpless.  Our bows were in the truck which was probably a good thing looking back on it now.  After what seemed like an eternity the bear went off the other way back to the woods.  Our neighbors and their dog never heard a thing inside their camper.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
TTT
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
While I have had several "bad" incidents in the outdoors I don't think anything could be worse them Mike's!

2 incidents that happened to me do stand out in my mind very well though.

The first was in 1987 while scouting for spring gobblers in Parke County IN. It was warm for early April and I had been out since well before daylight listening to gobbles, around 9:00 a.m. or so the birds finaly shut up on me and I begin heading back to my truck. Well when I got to it I had a dead battery from leaving my dome light on, no problem I thought I would just do a little cross country hike, cross Sugar creek and get back to the house in maybe an hour. Well when I got to the creek I heard a single gobble and decided that I would set on a sandstone ledge maybe 20 feet high near the creek for awhile and take a breather and maybe hear another gobble or two. As I got to the edge of the ledge and was just getting sat down, about 6 foot of the ledge broke off sending me and a big chunk of rock falling 20 or so feet onto the ground below. I knew it was bad when I hit. My left elbow was completley busted up with 2 inches of bone protruding out of it, Bleeding pretty good as well. It hurt to breath and I knew that was a problem as well, and I also managed to dislocate my hip somehow. I sat there and used my shirt to get the bleeding under control and trying to figure out how I was going to manage to get out of this one. No one knew where I was (I was single at the time and only 16). The longer I sat there the more it hurt, and I was sweating bad and craving water so after a while I managed to lay on my back holding my left arm togeher with my right hand and pushed myself with one leg and worked my way to the creek. It was probaly 30 feet away but seemed like a mile. Anyway to make a long story short, I layed there all day, all night and around noon the following day I heard a tractor accross the creek from me. I'm not sure why but after a while the tractor pulled onto the sandbar straight accross from me. Of course I was screaming for all I was worth but the guy on it wasn't hearing me. Luckily he shut it down on the sandbar to unhook a log he was dragging and heard me. I ended up with compound fractures on my left elbow, broken right wrist, 3 broken ribs, and a dislocated hip! Morale of the story always tell someone where you plan on being!

The second one was in 1994 while hunting whitetails with a freind. I had managed to take a young buck early in the evening and had recruited a freind to help me drag him out. It was early october fairly warm with a light rain. As we were dragging the buck we spotted a group of deer in an old apple orchard about 100 yards ahead of us. My freind had his bow so we decided a stalk was in order! There was an old barn between us and the deer and it had large open doors on each end we could see the deer through the barn. We decided it would be best to slip through the old barn and peek out the far side to see where the deer were heading. As we got in the barn we kept watching the group of deer. They were maybe 30 yards from the far side of the barn. The light was dim in that old barn and my freind was ahead of me with his bow, sometime while we were in there he knocked an arrow, well the deer moved to our right out of site and we begin going to the far end of the barn to peak out. as we reached the end I saw another buck to the left of us just coming ino the old orchard. As I was watching it my freind turned around to whisper something and I stepped forward at the same time. The old bear two blade on the end of his arrow entered my leg 3 inches or so above my right knee and buried completley! needless to say that hunt was over. Ended up having to have it removed by surgery The tip of the point was about 1/2 inch from the back of my leg. I never felt any pain at all when it happened just kinda like poking yourself with a stick while walking, but it sure bled good. Oh course I still harrass him about poking me! We still hunt together as it was really no ones fault, no hard feelings Timmy!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
Those that know me know that mother nature has had a LOT of fun with me.

Here are three of many experiences:            

My oldest son and I were walking out of an elk area to a road we knew was below us about a mile away. We were following an old trail that was above a ravine we knew would take us to a road we were parked on- several miles up.        

This was pre-LED days; and I had a flashlight; and to save power; I just walked along the trail in the darkness; and my son followed.
 At one point I stopped because I could not see the trail; and asked my son for the flashlight. When I turned it on; I realised both my feet were toes over the edge of a drop off: that was about 100 feet down - too not so soft broken rocks. I just stood there a while-- just have never forgotten that feeling....if I had taken just one more step!!

Once I was elk hunting. I had taken a bear that spring; and I had a controlled hunt for deer that winter; so it was all about elk. I parked my truck and walked a long trail- up in the direction of some active wallows.          

I thought I heard a noise behind me. It was just cracking dawn; and I couldn't see anything. I let out a cow call and got no response; so I continued on. I then heard a noise to my left; and I could see just enough in that direction to see it was tall ferns; and such; and if there was an elk there- I should have seen it.        

So; I continued on. Then I heard a noise again; and nocked an arrow. I stood there for several minutes totally still. Then I heard a noise about 12 steps from me; and there was a mountain lion there- and it ran straight for me. I was shooting a bear recurve; and I watched as my arrow hit it square in the mouth.          

To this day; I have no idea why I hit it in the mouth. But it was 8 steps from me when I hit it. It went kind of berserk trying to get the broadhead out of its mouth; and then jumped into the brush. I shot at it a couple more times;although I could only see little bits of tan in the bushes.                        

I then remembered that I had forgotten to check the oil in my truck; and headed that direction... kind of fast...

It was NOT lion season. I had a tag; the season was ten days away. So; I went to a friends and called fish and game. They told me to go get the lion and take it too a local taxidermist- for him to hold on to.                

Then I thought; jeepers; what if the lions not dead? I really didn't want an officer injured; so I put on a .22 pistol and grabbed my bow and camera; and set off to the scene.

When I was walking in; it was light; and I could see lion tracks in my tracks. I realised the lion had been following me.              

I got to where the lion attacked me; and started taking pictures. I followed a sparse blood trail; and then saw the lions tail protruding from the brush. I took a picture of it; and the tail moved; and the lion stood up- about 5 feet from me.

I grabbed my bow; and put another arrow into it; and it ran off a bit; then turned my direction as I was taking yet another picture of it. I dropped the bow; and put another arrow into it. Then grabbed the camera and took a couple pictures as it tried to come at me; and then fell back and died.                

I dragged it whole from the spot back to my truck; and drove out to my friends place. There was a deputy sheriff there that told me a fish and game officer was on the way; and that I was to stay there.                      

The officer investigated it; checked the arrow hits-  and now uses it as a case of when you SHOULD shoot a mt lion.                          

He did though confiscate the lion. It was measured at 88 inches from the nose to tail before skinning; and was a male.            

The officer saw my pistol and asked if I had shot the lion with the pistol; and that was a shocker to me; as I had until that very moment forgotten I even had a pistol on! He is a good officer; but wrote me a warning ticket advising me: not to shoot lions out of season..

My third experience was with a black bear. It came into my camp walking around the tent at night; popping its jaws and growling. The season was not open yet; and I had a tag; so I just laid in my cot hoping the bear would eat my buddy in his cot ( and he was hoping the same for me). This went on for nearly a week; every night. I even put some camp trash about 10 yards from the tent - hey why put up a treestand when the season was getting close?  

I sat one day below camp; and below an elk trail. The bear came in below me and charged me several times; kind of bluff charges- but really intense. That lasted over a half hour. I was ready to kill the bear.                

The day before the bear season opened I was sitting on a hillside.  As some elk approached- the bear headed into camp. It had a back and forth motion to it that I had never seen before; a really odd gait.  I ran down there to keep it from getting into my bear bait- and/or the tent.          

Then when the season opened; I put 5 gallons of corn syrup on a stump; and left a bushel of apples there; and put up a treestand.        

The next night; the bait was gone; and so was the stump! The bear had torn it to shreds; and dug a hole that was quite big to get at all the syrup.  

So; that night I rebaited; and  got up into the treestand. Nothing happened and nothing hit the bait for over a week. I decided to move the bait; and when I was picking up the apples I had put into a bag; and I had my treestand over my shoulder; the bear lept off a ledge above me (an old trail) and hit me square; smacking the stand with one paw.

It of course knocked me hard to the ground; but the stand had taken most of the blow; and the ground was soft from the bear having dug it up.

The bear started biting the ground; and growling; and headed my way; and I put an arrow right into the front opening to its chest at about five steps away; and it turned right before it hit me again; and died on that trail above me. That is the kind of thing when time just dissapears. I could hear its death moan; which probably lasted a couple minutes at most... but it seemed like each second was an hour.                        

I tagged it; and skinned it out and found on the top of its spine; a hole; that was all healed up; but with the skin off; I could take three fingers and stick into it- funnel shaped to the spine ( probably the reason for the odd gait). I couldn't really come up with anyway that could be unless it had been hit from above - with an arrow; which it had healed perfectly from.          

Several.... several years later... my son told me he had taken a straight down shot on a bear about a half mile from the camp; from a treestand over bait; and said the bear had rolled and the arrow broke off; and it was 'angry' and he didn't follow up on it.              

I really believe; as I baited that bait for myself and my son; and had taken a boar off the bait that year he shot the bear; that the bear he hit remembered my smell ( from the repeated baiting and setting up stands etc). And when she found my scent in the woods again- she wanted some payback. I have no proof of that; but in retrospect- that's the way it seemed!!!

I prefer all the above to having been the one in the 'loose nut -treestep story'  :(
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
I was doing some scouting one year in the county i grew up in and the place i was going to hunt i had to walk. The turkeys were gobbeling like crazy on every other ridge. Now alot of this country is strait up and down, little mountains you could call'em i guess. Sort of like the Smokies in tenn.
I had been there i guess since about noon and saw a lot of turkeys, and sign everywhere. Thier is no fall season in that co. and they are everywhere. There are also alot of wild dogs that people have dumped off to survive on their own. Bobcats are plentifull as well. I have personally seen a very big black cat there as well, it was about the size of a medium sized dog. I've heard'em scream a few times as well...
Now if you have ever heard one scream you'll know what i'm taikin about. Amplified by the small creeks and the hills close together it can be a hair raiseing experiance for sure...
I had been lookin around for awhile and not been payin much attention to the time untill i noticed the sun was going down. I had just packed for the day and didn't take a light with me, and i thought man i better get a move on or i'm going to be walkin out a here in the dark and it was gettin cold fast. I had a ways to walk so i stayed on the ridge tops and figured i'd just drop off the top down to the railroad tracks and walk back to the truck.. That took longer than i expected. I also forgot that i had to walk by some old boarded up mine openings. Now they are spooky in the daytime moreso at night. When i hit the tracks it was almost picth black. I walked along skipping ever other railroad tie trying to judge the distance and make good time in the dark.. Walking beside them was dangerous in the dark, big gravel and other obsticles you can't see. The trains hardly ever moved through there much anymore. While i was walking i was trying not to make much noise so that i could here the surounding darkness that seemed to choke out everything...
I could see enough though to make out one of the openings that i just past and i could feel the colder air comeing from the opening. I did pick up the pace as well. Now i'm a big guy, but not being able to see very well compounded by all the preteders around do to all the game birds made me more nervious than usuall. And my dad had run into a bunch of wild dogs one time while cruseing some timber where he walked up on an old punch mines and had to fight his way out with an old board, after walking by it. Anyway i thought about that when i heard the gravel moveing behind me. I would stop and listen nothin i would walk a little more and here it again! I stopped and it stopped! I don't know what this is but i do know he is down wind of me. I started to walk a little faster! And it starts to walk faster! I stopped and I could only here my heart pounding in my ears! Now i'm starting to get creeped out! Something came off of the bank above the tracks aways down from what ever was walking behind me, i heard the rocks and stuff falling down. Now i'm starting to get a metalic taste in my nouth! FEAR!!!
I turned and picked up the pase the best i could in the dark and so did whatever that was behind me!! It sounded like it was about 60-70 yds behind me. I could make out the faint sounds every now and then of something. Now this thing whatever it was is trying to be quite!! I stopped and turned around because this was really getting old!! I yelled out at it,and it kept comeing slowly!! Well enough is enough, I pulled out my 1911.45cal that i had cocked and locked behind my back, I fired two rounds into the bank about 20yds or so away. The sound was soaked up by the darkness alot but still rang out do to the mountains so close together.Whatever that was ran off!!! And man was i glad!!
I made it back to the truck soaking wet and scared about half to death!!
I went back a couple of days later and looked for some tracks, i believe it was a bunch of domesticated dogs that have went wild or some of thier pups from years gone by...I haven't walked the tracks much at night without a flashlight since, i take a light all the time now regardless of when or where i hunt..
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline hockeyref

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Gordy... Don't go there......
Steve Uhall

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
Lost? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost. - Henry Frapp

Suprised noone's mentioned scary encounters of a two legged kind.  Ever wander up on a pot field?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©