3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 elk -The Story  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
2012 elk -The Story
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
This year I really dedicated myself to finding a good bull. I alway see and photograph some great bulls on the winter ranges and was sure that they all could not stay on the private lands all year. So I found myself in the mounatins as early as I could start and scouted almost every weekend or day off. Of course the elk have an advantage as they can travel to the high country before we can get there, unless you like to trek marathon distances in heavy mud and snow. So I found myself Losing the bulls in the spring and really putting the thinker and boots to work.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 elk -The Story
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
ohhhhh i do perdict many many awesome photos to come    :clapper:    i can't wait!
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
This year was a bit of a test also. We had the driest spring/summer I can remember. So it was obviuos after a short while that ti find water was to find animals. About July I decided I should check a seep in the timber in a little hole I know of and see if it was dried up or not.  I found it to be as wet and pretty a little spot as ever, so I hung a camera there just to see what was happening. Meanwhile I was still cover the hills looking for the big boys.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
:campfire:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Well, I saw lots of Elk those first couple of months, mostly cows and calves and a few good looking young bulls. The old warriors stayed hidden though. My seep wasn't showing much action and I was considering a different area. Then one day I hiked into the seep and checked the camera.

Things were looking up!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
:coffee:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
:notworthy:   This is going to be awesome!

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
These were good bulls, I wasn't sure what they would mature into though. The season was dry and by the time the rains started I wasn't sure what it would do for antler growth. I had a place to watch and some bulls to keep track of! It was very exciting! One of the things I do when I find Elk in an area is stay out! I will watch the area with the binos and keep activity in the area to as little as possible. I would check the camera once a week and go straight in and straight out, no wandering. It takes very little human presence to alter a mature animals activities. So to keep myself in the woods and doing what I love, I kept scouting other areas on foot. It was a great summer.

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Ahh...Finally a drawn out story the Tradgang way...LOVE IT!
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Very! Very! nice bull your hard work paid off.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Here are few scouting pic's from this summer...

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
This is great! Keep it coming!

Martin

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Very nice pictures like those get the heart rate up  :)  looks like youhave found a great place to hunt!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Three days before the season we had a cold front roll in and had rain everyday. I was able to get up to my area and was greeted by the sight of a large bull, herding, checking and chasing cows. He would herd them up and and scream for  any and all to know he was king. To say this got me fired up would be and understatement! I shot a photo of him at least a half mile away.

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
So now I am all kinds of ready to hunt! The last few days at work were some of the longest I have ever undured!LOL! Opening day dawned hot and clear. The temps were back in the high 80s low 90s and everything had gone back to summer mode. No buglin and very little game movement. My wife and I sat in a blind on the seep, but it had become very unpreictable. Once the bulls rubbed the velvet of and started to feel some hormones they split up and started to wander. They were still there, but they were not talking and they were watering randomly.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing.  Great pics

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Instant classic unfolding .......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
:clapper:  Awaiting the next installment  :coffee:
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©