3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've never shot my longbow from a stand..  (Read 379 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
I've never shot my longbow from a stand..
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Well I have been shooting for going on 4 years now. I do most of my shooting from my basement as it is fairly long (approximately 25 yards), and I can't really shoot outside as I live in a neighborhood.

I have probably fired 10,000+ arrows from my bow at least. I am confident in my shooting and can consistently group within about a 4-6" circle at 25 yards.(on most days, lol)

I am getting ready to go to my brother-in-laws farm for opening weekend of archery season here in Missouri.

I am debating bringing my longbow as I have NEVER shot it from an elevated stand, always the ground.

I really want to bring it, but I am a bit unsure how much different firing it from a stand will be. Stand is only 15ft from the ground.

You guys think it will make that much of a difference??? Or should I just go for it?
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've never shot my longbow from a stand..
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
PS: I know the ethical answer is to practice from a stand.

What I am looking for is guys with experience shooting both ways, ground and stand, and letting me know if the difference will ne negligible enough (and thus ethical) to justify hunting from a stand with my longbow.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
I have never had a problem shooting a longbow from a stand. That said I shoot highly deflex reflexed longbows that are never over 64" long.
James Kerr

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
One pointer that has helped me. Bend at the waist not the knees or you will shoot high
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
once i really embraced the bend at the waist thing i didnt notice much of a differance the only thing i have to remember is i want to aim at the upper lungs of the side facing me so the angle hits both if iut was a real animal
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
You will probably find you need to aim a little lower.  Shoot a few arrows from the stand when you get there.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Other than practicing a bit from a stand and doing what was metioned about bending at the waste and adjusting aim slightly lower.I would trim the stand of branches if needed and just be careful of hitting the base of your stand with the bows bottom limb.Especially if you get s hot while seated.
I have used 64 inch longbows alot from treestands.Most trees will accomidate it well.Some knarly trees like black locust and Osage can be less forgiving of a longer bow.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:00 AM »
Bring the longbow!

As stated above bring some practice arrows and shoot them bending at the waist. A few practice shots into a stump should make you comfortable. Don't get psyched out because you're in a stand. It's a great way to hunt.

Good luck!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
You can always find yourself a blow down and hunt from the ground, but I agree with everyone above.
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Bow length never mattered to me from a stand. Lay the bow over flat and bend at the waist.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
take only your longbow leave the other thing at home.
 take a few practice shots from your stand from very close out to about 15 yds.
  if your keeping groups like that at 25 yds. you will do just fine,

goodluck!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Get'em close. Let the 25 yard deer walk and shoot the close one. You'll shoot higher so aim at the bottom third of the chest. If you bow is likely to be heard upon release, shoot at the bottom line of the chest at the front leg elbow (broadside).
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
As already mentioned.

Bend at the waist!

Aim a tad lower. (I shot over the 1st two deer i shot at)

Take a few extra arrows w/ blunts on them and take a couple practice shots when you get in the stand, even if hunting. I usually do this througout the year, just pick out a pinecone or leaf and let'er rip.  I've had deer come out, literally, less that 2-3 min after one of my practice shots.

You should be fine.  Good luck to you.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
If you don't bring it you'll probably wish you did. As stated above take some shots when you get in the stand.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Practice from the stand when you get there if at all possible.  I was surprised how much the point of impact changed when in my stand.  Not a hard transition at all, but definitely a slight change.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Practice from a stand or elevated position as soon as possible.

otherwise be the cool, ultimate hunter that you are and hunt from the ground...what a rush it is!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Bring it!  Don't think shoot low (that can lead to second guessing and problems), just bend at the waist, aim at a spot a little lower than normal, and treat it like any other shot.  Practice is always better. If you can't do it in the stand - try to find something elevated to shoot from.

Also, if it's an afternoon hunt and you aren't feeling confident, pick something on stand to shoot at that is not where you think deer will come from and see how you do.  I do this at the end of every morning hunt and it's good practice.

Good luck!
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
In Texas where the deer are "wired", I focus on a spot about 3" below the chest line.  In my 20+ years of shooting Trad, I have only shot under 1 deer (a real giant I might add).  The rest of my "misses" are high.  Now, when I am ready to release the arrow from about 15' up I think low and just before I release it, I go a tad bit lower and release.  You will shoot over many more deer than under them.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Broken Arrow 1:
One pointer that has helped me. Bend at the waist not the knees or you will shoot high
Yes, Yes, and YES!
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Broken Arrow 1:
X2! Missed high on a few because I didn't bend at the waist .
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©