3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ratchet straps and treestands  (Read 427 times)

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
ratchet straps and treestands
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Looking for advice from folks who have done this.  Left a stand too long in tree and had to take hatchet to original strap to get it off.  Took by sowing shop to get them to put back together but they were going to use cotton thread to so back together and strap has a few years on it.  I thought I would just replace with new ratchet strap.  Have anyone had any problems with just a plain 500lb rating strap working for main support strap.   Or should person get one of the huge straps.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ratchet straps and treestands
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I would put your safety as a first priority, I NEVER use a treestand w only one ratchet strap, I always use 2 , bad things happen, not worth the risk. Be safe

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I use several straps, chain and strap or cable and strap, never can be too much when your in a tree.

Tim
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I pull all my stands after the season so that I can check the cables, straps, chain, seat, etc-never had a problem removing them.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
When I use ratchet straps I always put 2, I have never had a problem. Better safe than sorry!
Conny

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Ive used just one ratchet but thats on ladder stands. Hang ons are a little different I try and use 2 on them. I'm with all the comments above. Take the safest course. I'm with selfbow I believe after this season I'm going to start pulling all my stands.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I use ratchet straps on all my hang ons.. Always 2 straps at least rated to #500. I replace them every year
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I like 2 ratchet straps on a ladder stand, and two ratchet straps plus a chain on a hang on tree stand.

Those ratchet straps break easier than you think.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
If I was using a hang on Id look seriously at the tree stand buddy
Look like it would make hanging a stand easy

Im a ground hog nowadays
Slickhead

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I have the trail hawk tree stands where you have a pin and then a ratchet strap but i still like having another strap just in case.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I used to use the strap or chain provided with the stand as well as a ratchet strap.

To answer your question though, YES I would just get a new strap....or two.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Thinks for the replies.  I know that some of them buckles on straps can pop apart etc.  And they are only 1 inch wide where the original strap on this stand is about 2 inches and thick.  Just stopped by tractor supply and they have some thicker and wider straps that are rated for 4000 pounds so that ought to support me and stand.  This is for one of the original old non-typical brand loc ons.  Boy the original straps were tough.  I had left this thing in the tree for 2 years and the platform was at a 45 degree angle from the tree and tight and when I cut the strap off with a couple of licks from the hatched the stand jumped off the tree.  Usually try and pull or at least loosen sets each year but forgot about this one.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
I like 2 ratchet straps on a ladder stand, and two ratchet straps plus a chain on a hang on tree stand.

Those ratchet straps break easier than you think.

The strap that broke on that photo is not used for attachment to a tree, it is for holding it together when moving it and storing it - that is a Summit strap. Just trying to help you here, you should have a black or brown (bronze) actual tie down strap that came with that stand.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
This wasn't my stand, but I hear ya. I generally buy heavier duty straps from the store to use anyways.

I've got a stand up right now that needs the straps replaced.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
I put two at top and one at bottom. Had a buddy fall last year. He had a ratchet strap break. I now wear a harness as well. Been a waist belt only guy for 22 years.

I get the 1300 pound 1.5" straps at my tractor supply store. Great for treestands.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
X2 Kentucky TJ

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
I really like the strap that's provided with the Gorilla stands -- I buy extra's of those and convert some of my older stands with those.  

Sun and weather take a real toll on ratchet straps left out all year...but the main "killer" is tree growth.  You don't realize it grew, but it really puts tension on the strap fibers if left out from one season to the next.  

To echo most of the others -- better safe than sorry, buy a couple new straps for sure.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I agree buy new and don't risk it. I really prefer chains for hang ons.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
If it's permanent or semi-permanent stand it get a CHAIN with a turnbuckle and a RACHET STRAP.  No deviations.

I will strap a loc-on for daily use with the strap it comes with.  Change out if it gets frayed
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
The straps that originally come with a stand are usually 2" and heavy, not a regular 1" ratchet strap.  Replacements are available, such as this strap from Gorilla.  Much better and stronger than a plain ratchet strap.  Nothing worng with backing this up with a ratchet strap, tho.

http://gorillatreestands.com/6-foot-replacement-strap
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©