3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Our Medieval Hunt  (Read 544 times)

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Our Medieval Hunt
« on: August 09, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
The day was hot. Fortunately there was a steady breeze. The weather had recently changed from weeks of rain to clear open sky's with the sun quickly drying out the land. Lord Newley Hutchison of Chainranch Shire had requested help with a group of beast that was ravaging his lands. My friend and fellow ranger Hawken traveled the long distance from his lands to add aide to this quest because of his recent experience with taking down such an animal. We met up at my home and spent the following day reading the gear we would need on this adventure. We paid special attention to sharpening our broadheads and tuning our shafts to our longbows because the animals have a very thick plate which covers their vitals to protect them from the sharp tusk of rival beast. The beasts were known to be very quick to anger and fiercely charge any who dared to enter their territory.  
We gathered our gear and headed to the Lords land. There we met up with the Lords man Jose who was in charge of any visiting guest. He was short with a solid build and his dark skin attested to many hours spent out of doors. He was very welcoming and quickly showed us where we would be staying for the duration of our stay. The cottage he took us to was very large, quite comfortable and would be a good reprieve from our time on the surrounding land. Jose bid us to make ourselves at home and when we were ready to head out he would take us to where he had recently seen signs of the animals. We stowed our gear and prepared for the hunt.

After a brief rest from traveling we told Jose we were eager to head out and see the area for ourselves  where we would be hunting. Hoping to find fresh sign of the beast travels so we could form a plan. We headed out that evening with Jose telling us that because of the oppressive heat the beast were bedded down during the day and would only come out after the setting of the sun to forage.
We found fresh sign of the beast passing and the area that they were feeding on which was rich in corn and had plenty of surrounding water and good cover. As the sun sank to the west with a marvelous farewell before yielding to the night we quickly set up blinds with timber and brush that would keep us well hidden.

Now we settled into the wait listening for any sounds that would announce the coming of the animals. As the light dimmed to night we heard the sounds of the animals heading in from behind us. Hawken had set up on the side of a well worn path and I on another hopping that the beast would pass right by us and allow us to get a good clean shot. Not long after I could hear the approach of something that sounded large as it let out low grunts and would pause to root around in the dirt. My heart beat faster and i readied my bow ever so slow turning towards the noise. The moon had not risen yet so the light was very dim indeed. I watched intently for the beast to pass right next to my blind of brush hopping that he didn't since my presence. The beast rooted around not more than 20 feet away at best but never did come down the trail towards the corn. Then i heard splashing in front of me where there was a small pond surrounded by high grasses which was about 200 feet away. The sounds of the splashing died away and then i heard a group of them sliding through the grass right to the area in front of me. They emerged and i could see there were 12 hogs most of them piglets but a few sows that were very large. They started to greedily feed on the corn that covered the ground with an occasional fight breaking out. I focused on the largest sow and waited until they would come within a close range. My blood was pumping, there was still the sound of the beast behind me and the group of hogs moved closer and closer. I slowly came up onto my knees and pointed my longbow readying for the shot when the sow was right in front of me. Because of the dark I would only have one shot. I said to myself over and over. Just wait for it....just wait for it..... the sow moved closer and then there was a noise from the main trail to my right. Suddenly a light flared up and the hogs bolted. Crashing into the brush and quickly swallowed by the tall grass. As i cursed under my breath the light came closer and closer. It was Jose with a lantern who had come out to lead us back to the cottage. I shook my head in frustration and gathered my gear and walked out of my hiding place. I then saw Hawken heading out towards me and I told him about how close the hogs had been. He too had had hogs behind him but none had come down the trail close enough.
We told Jose how close we had come and even though his interruption spoiled the hunt we couldn't blame him because we had told him to come back around that time to get us. Even though we hadn't been able to make a kill it still was very encouraging to have seen so many and we would head out the next day eager to hunt again.
We woke early the next day and decided to go to another area and scout it out before it became unbearably hot. Jose lead us to an area that he had seen signs of the animals a few months back but no one had been there recently. The morning was already starting to heat up as Jose turned to go and we headed out to the open expanse. The land was mostly plains with groups of trees here and there and the views of the plains went on forever. Hawken had not ever seen such land and was amazed at the openness of it all. There was a steady wind that helped keep us cool and also made our passing quiet.

We headed towards a group of trees following a well worn trail with fresh sign. We stalked for a long time covering a long distance. Twice we had scared up a rabbit but the brush was to thick to even get off a quick shot and we also saw two deer from a distance bounding through the plains from tree line to tree line. It was getting very warm and we were both tired from the traveling and the night before. The trails we were on became smaller and smaller and finally ended all together. We took a break and sat down to rest and take long drinks from our costrel water bottles. We talked about how to proceed from there and decided to head back the direction we had come and check out the edges of a small lake. The grass and cotton tails were very high here with occasional groups of trees that lined a swampy area that headed towards the lake. We quickly found a large well used trail that showed recent sign of the animals crossing and followed it ever so slowly. Hawken was ahead of me aways and as i looked around i saw an area that just called to me. It was right on the edge of the water and had trees lining it. I came upon a huge bedding area. There was fresh sign and scat all over the wet mushy ground and you could see where the animals had made several wallows. I slowly scanned the area and saw a trail that headed to my right. I slowly headed that direction for the prints were very fresh. I came upon a group of three trees that were surrounded by cotton tails. I slowly slid forward making no sound at all on the wet soft trail and then i saw him. The brush was so thick i was right on top of the beast before i knew it! He was laying down on his right side obviously asleep from the steady deep breaths it took and it hadn't heard my approach. I froze and quickly looked to where Hawken was. I caught his eye and signaled that it was right here. He stood there and waited in case the beast spooked and came his way. It was not more than 10 feet in front of me. The smell of him was intense. His sides rose and fell slowly, his thick course black hair covered in mud. A tree was blocking my sight of his head with his body sprawled out directly away from me. The only angle i had was a shot to his stomach and towards the rear. It wasn't a clean shot and even though i was so close i just couldn't take that shot. I slowly stepped back trying to angle up and right so i could come in on him from the side but right then he must have woken and seen me. He exploded up and headed away from me quickly disappearing into the brush. I immediately came to full draw in case he turned and rushed me. It was curious but i was completely calm. I had never been that close to such a large beast.....especially one that could fight back!  but i guess my instincts took over. The beast had went the direction where Hawken was facing. I motioned for him to head towards it as i came up from the rear. It had stopped only about 60 feet down from me and i was ready in case it rushed out towards my friend. Hawken slowly slid down towards where the beast had stopped. As i slowly came forward i saw Hawken freeze and he brought his longbow up. He had spotted the beast and it was only about 10 feet in front of him bedded down in the muck trying to hide. Hawken was face to face with it. He had no shot and after pausing for awhile he inched slowly to the right trying to get a better angle. The beast exploded out and ran into the thick brush so quickly that he didn't even have the time to come to full draw.  I watched as the beast ran away to was swallowed up in the swampy grass. We had no chance of seeing him again.
I was smiling as i came out and headed towards Hawken. So was he. Even though neither of us had been able to get an arrow off we had come so close that that was reward enough. Our adventure was over but we felt satisfied with the outcome.

There would certainly be other adventures in the future!!!

St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Our Medieval Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Well told.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

I liked the tale indeed. Well done lad.

BTW did you get a haircut Lance?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Very good story and pics. Thanks for sharing. Just seeing game and getting close enough for a shot, makes for a sucessful hunt. looks like you guys had a great time.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
thats how I'd like to hunt!
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Well told!  I found myself cheering for you guys through the telling!  I hope you two keep it up and do some more hunts like this in the near future!  I sure like reading about them.   :clapper:
got arrows?

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
That was told so well that maybe those of us who enjoyed it should take a colection to pay for the next hunt.  Now, how much is a Shilling worth?
Brant
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
A hearty tale of valor that filled the mind's eye with visions of yore.  Mind ye, leave the King's hinds alone or it will be the gaol for ye, or worse.  

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Lance,

Well told story and I appreciate your attempts to try and recreate the medeival hunting experience.

Sometimes through attempting to recreate how our ancestors did something you can "re-learn" things that were lost.

Anything about the equipment, clothing, etc. that you guys have recreated that seem to work particularly well?
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
'Tis a shame to not have slain the beast, though I did indeed take great pleasure in such a well written tale.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Lance covered it all well, and it was quite the adventure, but I just have to add what a pleasure it was to finally be able to hunt with Lance.  He is a great guy, and the ‘Huntsman Lance’ moniker suits him well.  I’ve never met a more intuitive woodsman  :thumbsup:  .

It was also great to hunt in a part of the country where I hadn’t been before, and I have to say, you Oklahoma hunters have it made!  It was great to be able to really hunt the wind and use it to our full advantage.  With that nearly constant breeze from the south it was easy to keep the wind in our faces, and the constantly swaying foliage helped mask any inadvertent sounds we made.  In the rolling, hardwood hills of Michigan where I normally hunt there is often little breeze at all, and when there is, it is rarely constant and often seems to shift at the worst possible time  :mad:  .

Ian, you’re welcome to join us.  Here’s a link to our medieval hunting group:
  St. Hubert\\'s Rangers
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Third Eye,

Most of the clothing, equipment, and accoutrements in our kits are based on historical research, but because we are conducting medieval-style hunts, everything has to also be evaluated based on what is practical and works in the field.  Some people call this experimental archaeology.

I make minor adjustments after almost every hunt; making things more comfortable and/or quieter, etc., but to specifically answer your question (and as many modern hunters already know), wool is what works particularly well for me.

I wear period-style, linen underwear with wool outerwear, and it’s amazing the range of temperatures I can stay comfortable in.  For the hunt this week I wore the same outfit that keeps me warm in Michigan in autumn, except I didn’t wear my linen-lined, wool hood.  It was 97 degrees both days and I would soak my linen with sweat in no time, but then I felt relatively cool.  When I would strip down at night the wool didn’t even feel damp, even though the linen underwear was as wet as if I had jumped into a swimming pool.

In the winter months I’ll add an additional wool tunic and my hood to the outfit, and I’ll stay comfortable in below freezing temps, even in windy snow storms.  Wool is great stuff, but I never wore wool hunting clothes until I started doing the medieval thing.  It’s also quiet and the texture blends in well outdoors.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
Thanks everyone....especially Paul for such a great hunt!!! I dont think i have had this much fun since i picked up a longbow   :saywhat:  

and as for the clothes. I could not believe Paul when he said he was going to wear wool. All of mine are linen and i just kept shaking my head and watching for him to fall over from heat stroke! but apparently it is the miracle cloth!

and i still say the boar was at least 300 lbs   :D  

:archer:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
great story Guys.I just read it to my son for a bedtime story. The beast and the archers...Did you say where you hunted and I missed it.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Well told sir!
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
good hunt story for sure.........  :thumbsup:

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Hawken and I had been trying to get together to do a medieval hunt for a loooong time and so when i found out that my family was going to Huston for a week i called him and said "hey ya wanna go hog hunting?" He is an art teacher and has off the summer months.

I really didnt think everything would work out but it all feel into place and bam we were set! I found Chain Ranch which is in Canton Oklahoma who provides hunts for only $50 a day and if you take a hog then you are charged the $100 trophy fee unlike the other places where you pay regardless of your success.....and this was my first hog hunt so i wasnt to sure about how successfull i would be!

Paul was able to use his miles and get a free flight from Michigan to Tulsa and then we got together here at my house. We spent that night and the following day just sitting around and talking about medieval things and hunting. We got all of our gear ready and headed out.

The Ranch was nice and comfortable....we decided on a ranch because with this being the first time we had gotten together and it being my first hog hunt we figured we would have a better chance than just going to a public area.

They have two different areas. One is 200 acres that are for hogs and exotics that have 5 or 6 different feeders and the other is a HUGE open range for people to hunt on. That first night we went to one of the feeders. After being rudely interrupted! we went back to the lodge and decided to go to the open range the next morning. We both really wanted to go to the open range where there isnt any feeders or such and it is just you and the game.

It certainly made that stalk where i got so close i could count the number of tics on him mean even that much more! and the acer was that Paul also got that close and even though we didnt "bring home the bacon" we didnt feel upset about it one bit!!!

It was a great trip. I got to finally meet Paul and we got to fullfill our dream of doing a recreation hog hunt. Paul is having a medieval gathering and hunt in the fall in his home state of Michigan and i am definately trying to figure out a way to go!!! "so watch for that story"    :thumbsup:  

Its good to be home but man i wish i was still out there.....

Thanks all for your support....and Paul may not but i will happily accept any shillings you send!    :biglaugh:

Ohhh......and ask Paul to tell the story about the "exotic rams" we ran into!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Ha! A great tale indeed! There will be other hunts.

BTW Didn't I see you guys in Lord Of The Rings?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Conan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Well told squire. My heart was pounding as if I was there. Kudos to the outfits also.
I'll keep My Money, Freedom, and  Guns - YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE".

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Huntsmanlance,
Wow that was a great story! Thanks so much for sharing the adventure. Congrats to you and Hawken on an awesome hunt. I look forward to reading more tales of the adventures of ST.Hubert's Rangers.    :thumbsup:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©