3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All day stand setting  (Read 548 times)

Offline Boglee

• Trad Bowhunter
All day stand setting
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Just curious how some of you who sit all day in your tree stands keep from getting stir crazy? I do pretty good during the heat of the rut  but I still get stir crazy.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All day stand setting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I agree that enduring a tree stand during the rut is lots easier.

Who the heck can stay in a stand all day this time of the year with hot weather and 12-13 hr. days?
Lon Scott

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
All day sits during the rut, but man am I mentally whooped... But the good days, i am just trying to be comfortable or tell myself i am warm enough... or shedding layers and adding em back on as the sun begins to set....

I have climbed down and took a nap once or twice at the base of the tree.... At those times just leave your bow in the tree.... You will get a show!!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
I only stay in all day during the rut, other than that I just cant see the point. I have been known also to climb down and take a nap at the bottom of the tree.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I don't do much with all day sits, rut or no rut.  Am I missing out on some potential opportunities?  Would I have more deer kills to my credit if I did sit all day?  Very likely.

But I actually enjoy coming back to the cabin, seeing what my partners may have seen.   Share a good mid-day meal.  Shoot my bow.  Maybe take a nap.  If I stayed on stand all day I would miss out on all of that.

Hunting is supposed to be fun.  Sitting in a tree for 12 hours straight starts to become more of a chore and an endurance contest than fun for me.  For those who enjoy it, that's great, but I guess I'm just cut from different cloth.  I may not be the most successful and driven hunter out there.  But I generally get my share, and I enjoy the heck out of my time in the woods, as well as the time in between.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Boy, you hit the nail on the head Whip.  That's exactly the way I feel.  Sometimes during the rut, I'll head back out for a couple of hours over the noontime, but early in the season I don't.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
when we hunt all day - which has only been a rut hunt - and in some cases late October when hogs and deer feed any time of day in deep river bottom habitat. We set 3 different stands - all with a short stalk/walk between them. Circulates the blood - keeps us alert on stand - and we look forward to all hours of the day. This has worked great for us - but it does take extra scouting and planning - we know exactly where we are going - all background and foreground has been tested - shooting lanes cleard. We have done this with lone wolf climbers and Chippewa Wedgelocs using simmons bolts for climbing. Easy - quiet - deadly tactic. One other thing we do is build a ground blind neabry for the midday sit - great for lunch and a nap - proper scouting applies even more must know predominant wind directions and build accordingly - we shoot judos between stands to keep shoulders loose.

MOST hunting we do is evening or morning only and long term this is more productive for us.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
When I was younger, during the rut, I'd do all day stand/blind sitting. Not anymore. I find I get bored and pack it in around 10am.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I set all day some during Nov. I just take a book and read.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I also bring a book and read.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
its getting harder for me but. the desire to put a deer on the ground keeps me there. i also think about things way to much when im out hunting lol. daydreaming...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I couldn't sit in a treestand all day even if I wanted to.  The degenerated and bulging discs in my back bring me down in only a few hours.  A natural ground blind where I can change position once in a while would allow me to hunt for a whole day, but if I do, it feels more like a job or chore than a hobby.

Like Whip said, it's supposed to be fun.  I sit the morning or evening and be happy I can do that.  I've never had much luck mid-day anyway, although I know it works for some.

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I can't do it! It is way too at down here most of th time.

Bisch

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
I do it during the rut on public land.. If im at camp i usally come out around 11 and eat and talk to the other guys.. Sometimes i sleep in till around 9 then hunt the rest of the day. Ive killed a lot of deer between 11 and 1
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
From the third week of Oct. thru the second week of Nov, I'll stay out all day.  Sometimes it gets the best of me and I'll switch stands, but I will try and sit all day.  I have killed the majority of my MATURE bucks at this time of year, between 11 and 3.  Mostly around 2-3 p.m. for some reason.  I couldn't tell you about mid-day big buck movement the rest of the season as I don't sit all day during those times.  It seems the older I get, the harder it gets to sit all day, partially due to discomfort, but mostly because I sit there and think of all the honey-do's and things I should be doing.  Nonetheless, I enjoy my all-day sits.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I am too lazy to go back to camp at midday.
I have spent entire days in a tree stand, and entire days in a ground blind. I enjoy the meditation, the harvesting of information during the sit. I learn what typically happens in the course of a day at that time of year in those weather conditions. I stash that in my cranium. Sometimes I stayed put because if I didn't, someone would be in my favorite evening spot when I returned. I hate competitive hunting.

Hunting pressure in my area has decreased along with the deer population. Mostly I go someplace in the morning, and stillhunt to another place in the afternoon. I stay on the ground these days, as I am also too lazy to lug a treestand out there. Many times I wish I weren't, as the wind is as flighty as a three day old chicken. I enjoy the mobility and the lighter load, though.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
During the rut for sure....if Im on the ground,  I will stand and stretch a bit,  as stealthy as possible.  If I'm in a tree,  I will actually climb down,  stand at the bottom of the tree for a couple minutes,  then climb right back up.  Sounds nutty,   but its a good reset and keeps me going.  Try it if you haven't!

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
It's pretty rare that I can stay in one place all day, We all usually find our way out of the woods and back to camp by noon or so, eat, shoot the bull (and bows) and head back out early afternoon for the evening sit.  On the rare occasion that i plan to sit all day or if nobody else is in camp (so I might as well sit all day) I make sure that I have downloaded a couple of books to my phone.  If I were smarter, I'd realize that all the other guys in the area are probably doing the same thing and stay put in case somebody else jumps one toward me!
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline Boglee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Yea, I know I should stay put but man it's hard! Seems like I do better later in the season, guess I get used to it. I'm gonna try starting a little later in the morning and see if that helps me stay put. May practice by sitting all the way through the church services.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I never sit all day no matter what. I hunt in the morning then usually scout a little once I get done then go grab some lunch and watch football and shoot my bow and go hunt a couple hours in the evening.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©