3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All day stand setting  (Read 547 times)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: All day stand setting
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Haven't sat all day in a long time. Have no plans to do it again. It takes the fun out of hunting for me and makes it seem like work. No matter what else, I am out there to enjoy myself and have fun. Sitting in a stand all day takes that away from me.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I don't do much with all day sits, rut or no rut.  Am I missing out on some potential opportunities?  Would I have more deer kills to my credit if I did sit all day?  Very likely.

But I actually enjoy coming back to the cabin, seeing what my partners may have seen.   Share a good mid-day meal.  Shoot my bow.  Maybe take a nap.  If I stayed on stand all day I would miss out on all of that.

Hunting is supposed to be fun.  Sitting in a tree for 12 hours straight starts to become more of a chore and an endurance contest than fun for me.  For those who enjoy it, that's great, but I guess I'm just cut from different cloth.  I may not be the most successful and driven hunter out there.  But I generally get my share, and I enjoy the heck out of my time in the woods, as well as the time in between.
Joe, you and I will get along just fine in January.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
"Hunting is supposed to be fun."  Whip & Berne I guess we Wisconsinites have a certain appreciation and get more of a thrill in the adventure itself rather than focusing on actually taking game. With that being said, I do know quite a few folks that pack a lunch, bring a book, (some even take a nap) and this all helps them to "endure" the all day sit.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I only do it on my annual Ks rut hunt. Out of a twelve day hunt I probably sit about 6 or 7 full days. It still whips my hiney, though.
God is good, all the time!!!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Sitting all day, no way. I will stay out all day sometimes during late October/ early November, but I'll be hitting different areas. I get bored easily so I move a couple times a day.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm the father of four little kids, complete with the noise one would expect... I'd sleep in the tree if I could!
Seriously though, I find spending an entire day from dark to dark, without speaking a word, to be rejuvenating.  I don't sleep, but I do kinda go on autopilot for stretches where I'm not actively scanning the woods, but waiting for an out of place sound.  
To me the single biggest factor in how well I handle an all day sit is simply how much confidence I have in the stand site.  If I've done my homework and I "know" that this is a good spot, then it's just a matter of time, and I don't mind spending it.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Maybe you miss seeing a couple deer but I love the anticipation of the evening hunt and for me that would be impossible to do with an all day sit. I'd just be anticipating for it to be over.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
I only marathon stand hunt during the Rut.  I have found for me over the years, that if I start getting fidgety, it is better to leave, because had two times, where was getting mentally fried, and moving around only to blow a shot at some nice deer.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I will do all day sits from Nov 4 through Nov 15 to coincide with peak rutting activity.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I have sat in a tree all day many times... to many to count. Usually its during the rut, but also late season when deer are moving and feeding all day. Its tough during the cold weather, but I still do it. I have taken many big bucks between 10:30 AM and 2:00PM. Most all day sits are in heavy cover or near known bedding areas. I am hunting and filming, so if I don't see the big buck , I will usually always get to film some animals during good lighting.

Mike

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Just imagine the P&Y buck walking out any minute.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Never done it, don't know how others do it unless they change stands or take a walk.   Maybe I need more comfortable stands and better books.    :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Online Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
3 Hours for me is about it.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
When I use to hunt all day...only reason I did was too far to come back out and go back in...I'd take food and drink along with my little jungle hammock I can wad up the size of a softball.

I'd come down from the tree around noon..find two trees spaced right and tie my hammock,eat a bite and take a nap.

Now days, I hunt till I'm ready to walk home..never any longer than I feel like it. Sometimes I get sleepy, sometimes my vision gets blurry from looking too long, sometimes my back, sometimes a ball game is coming on..etc.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I plan on doing some during the rut this year. I bought the hunt comfort seat so hopefully that will help. I plan on putting a stand up in some mountain laurerls that i think will be perfect for an all day sit. Other days i'll sit until noon then move to another stand for the evening sit.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm trackin' with Whip. No question that during the rut all bets are off as to deer movement. But for me, the total experience of deer hunting comes into play and time at the cabin or tent along with fellowship with my fellow hunting partners is part of the TOTAL package for me. Life is short my brothers. Time spent with kindred spirits becomes more and more precious to me.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Sitting in a stand can be a bear.  I've done a few all day sits, but mainly bc we were having absolutely no luck during morning and late afternoon sits.  But they have been rewarding, one year I sat in a tree just off a dirt road and watched a couple coyotes come down the road, they stopped about 40 yards from me and turned around and about 30-45 minutes the entire pack came down the road, including several very playful pups!  it was quite a site to see,  although they are devestating to the deer pop and probably a big reason we were having such bad luck...a pup is a pup and they are darn cute when playing.  I watched them playing all over the dirt road with the rest of the pack nearby( it's a closed off road so there is no traffic at all)  this probably went on for another half hour, they slowly made their way to me and got within 30 yards and stopped dead in their tracks. They knew something was wrong in the air and immediately made a uturn and bolted off.

Another year I had a mother bear and her 4 cubs come in to my stand...one of them literally come to my tree and put his paws on the ladder of my stand. I was a little worried bc I know mother bears can be very dangerous.  Fortunately he turned back around and I got quite a show.  Watching them wrestle each other and shoot up and down trees,  climbing way up some trees and least 20 feet above my head.  The mother was off foraging, but I'm sure she wasn't far.  Those years I had no kills during my week long hunting trips and long sits in the stand but those memories make it worth while.   I think I got off topic a little, forgive me.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I sit alot longer in the morning, and return for evening stand alot earlier during the rut, but I won't sit all day. A couple of hours back at the cabin to unwind a bit and eat does me wonders.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I can sit alot longer since I started packing in a better seat cushion. Factory tree stand cushions sent me packing my sore butt cheekes back to camp way more often than boredom did.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
I wait all year to get in a tree stand in November. There is no place I would rather be. The only reason for me to leave before dark is a filled tag. I enjoy every minute, and I don't need a book or a cell phone to occupy my mind.
    What is there to do if you get down? Watch TV, chores? No thanks, that stuff can wait until December.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©