3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ferrul smaller than shafts... (problem solved!!)  (Read 348 times)

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
ferrul smaller than shafts... (problem solved!!)
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I just got my vpa 175 grain Terminator screw ins today. I put one on one of my 2016 gamegetters and quickly realized that the ferrul's diameter was smaller than the diameter of the shaft creating a not-so-smooth transition from broadhead to shaft. Should I be concerned? If it is a problem, do I have any options to fix the problem without changing broadheads or arrows?
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ferrul smaller than shafts... (problem solved!!)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
i wouldnt worry about it, its going to cut anyway making really any drag due to that pretty null i would think, id just ignore it if its hitting where i want it to
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
I would double that.....

its not going to help...but you're hunting whitetials.  It may be an issue on heavy bone shots ie shoulder...soft tissue you'll be fine.   if you get into chasing something with heavier bones...I'd consider a bh change imho.

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »
^ once again something i didnt think of as a novice thats a good piece of thought there about the bone
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by kiamichi kid:
I just got my vpa 175 grain Terminator screw ins today. I put one on one of my 2016 gamegetters and quickly realized that the ferrul's diameter was smaller than the diameter of the shaft creating a not-so-smooth transition from broadhead to shaft. Should I be concerned? If it is a problem, do I have any options to fix the problem without changing broadheads or arrows?
I guarantee there is no issue with that it's 5/16" and have been taking water buffalo on a regular basis through heavy bone!  :thumbsup:

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:40:00 AM »
Ok...so the cut of the head opens up enough to let the exposed blunt edge of the shaft pass through? Just making sure I am grasping this. It doesn't look optimal but I trust the opinions given.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Boomerang:

I guarantee there is no issue with that it's 5/16" and have been taking water buffalo on a regular basis through heavy bone!   :thumbsup:  [/b]
That set-up is being shot through bone on a regular basis?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Ok...so the cut of the head opens up enough to let the exposed blunt edge of the shaft pass through? Just making sure I am grasping this. It doesn't look optimal but I trust the opinions given.
That's most likely correct, but I'm with you....I'd prefer a smooth transition.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I think boomerang is one of the designers of the VPA and i understand they have been extensibly tested.Shaft diameters are all over the place so it would be hard to have a head that was the same on all shafts.There are many broadheads that have more humps where the ferrel attaches than the diffrence on shaft diameter and not much is ever said about that.I dont have any VPA heads yet but they look to me to be the best design i have ever seen yet.When i have the money VPA is what i will get for sure.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
I have noticed the same thing with my Arrow dynamics shafts. Good to hear it won't effect anything.
James Kerr

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kituwa:
I think boomerang is one of the designers of the VPA and i understand they have been extensibly tested.Shaft diameters are all over the place so it would be hard to have a head that was the same on all shafts.There are many broadheads that have more humps where the ferrel attaches than the diffrence on shaft diameter and not much is ever said about that.I dont have any VPA heads yet but they look to me to be the best design i have ever seen yet.When i have the money VPA is what i will get for sure.
Tissue I could understand... while the "skinny shaft" theory is sound I don't put all my eggs into that basket alone... I was just interested in the bone penetration part given the noticeable difference in diameters (increased) between arrow shafts and broadhead ferrules.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Somebody, I think his last name began with an A, found that having the shaft larger than the ferrule adversely affected penetration.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
Somebody, I think his last name began with an A, found that having the shaft larger than the ferrule adversely affected penetration.
Thats what I was thinking....

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Originally posted by LKH:
Thats what I was thinking.... [/b]
same here.
James Kerr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Could you post a pic of the transition? I don't have any 2016's to compare with.

May try filing the hard edge of the insert down a bit.

What is your setup and what are you hunting?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I will post pics later today.  I'm shooting a striker slapstick 50@28". Arrows are gamegetter 500's (2016) 28.5" 175 grain point - around 535 grains of total arrow weight.  I am primarily hunting deer but pigs are going to be shot as well (or hunted, anyway).

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
are you hunting heavy boned animals?  

I think the general consensus is its going to not help one bit!   But youre not trying to split a cape buffalo, asiatic buffalo or any other iron tanks ribs.    If you're hunting whitetails...I wouldnt prefer to opt for something with this kind of transition...but I dont think its going to keep you from getting good penetration...all things considered!

The problem with penetration is, it's not an x+y=z equiation.   There's too much happening, too many variables that apply.  And imho this one variable though not optimal, on smaller game (whitetails I consider small due to the thin boned nature of them, believe it or not caribou fit this ticket also!), I dont thinkn it would be the end of the world if the rest of your situation has been figured out...and a good shot is made!  

Shoulder shots are obviously not optimal, matter of fact I dont think any of us on a regular basis shoots for a shoulder.   I know I dont anyways and the people I hunt with.   Where the problem would come into play would be a thick rib, or hitting the shoulder along the reinforced section thats 1" or so wide.   Shootem with the leg forward and go find your deer....hit that shoulder and you may or may not have issues.  

Just looking at a head can only give you an opinion on will or will it not work!!!!  

have you considered just changing heads?  there's so many good ones to pick from that if this transition is an issue it might be your only option.

There is one other idea..and thats different diameter shaft.  Its one of the nice thing about shooting aluminum or wood depending on what spine you shoot.   You can sometimes (read not always) find a different diameter shaft that with a little tweaking will shoot perfectly.  It may be a skosh longer or shorter or may need a tad bit more or less weight up front or in the rear..but it is feasable if you absolutly are sold on the vpa's.    So dont feel like there is no other option than switching heads.....though it might be a bit of a headache.....I personally like tinkering if you cant tell  ;) .

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
21 hogs with the same 175gr. 3 blade is a pretty good indication there will be no problems.  :thumbsup:

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
A 2016 is 20/64 or 5/16" outside diameter so the lip should be very small.  I use a reloading chamfer tool to bevel the front of the insert on my 5/16" carbons for a smooth transition

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
The file fixed the problem! I havent been around a computer to post pics in a while (I do most surfing from the phone)...but I will try to post before and after pics later. I rounded off and tapered down the blunt edge of the insert and its a smooth transition. Its still larger than the ferrul but it is a smooth increase...much like an extension of the ferrul itself. Thanks for the advise, Rob W and company!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©