3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you stay calm!  (Read 616 times)

Offline Thadbow

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you stay calm!
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
I was sitting in the tree in MD yesterday and heard some noise behind me.  My heart started to race about out of my chest as I stood up and turned around to see a squirrel cutting acorns behind me. Later on a mom and a fawn came walking in and I got the shaking knees again and had no intent of shooting either one!
  When I was younger everybody always told me that if you ever loose that, you should quit hunting.  I don't want to loose it, I just want to calm it down.  
  I see all of these pictures of these trophy hogs, elk, whitetail, ect. and wonder how you have kept your cool long enough to make the shot.
 It got me thinking yesterday, what do you all do?  How do you keep it calm, Do you go to your happy place?  Where is it?
    Thanks

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you stay calm!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I dont (stay calm)  :jumper:  Just hope the deer keep pace with your shaking knees when you shoot  :archer2:

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
I repeat to myself, stay cool, you have been here 100 times before, pick a spot, pick a spot pick a spot. It may sound silly but it sure helps me control the excitement!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I try to stay focused on the task at hand, that is picking the right time to draw and make the shot. I also try to remind my self to breathe. I know it may sound crazy, but when you are excited you do not take as deep of a breath as you need to, or at least I do not.

However, it is hard to keep it all together, but that is why we hunt. I will say this, the more you are close to the game you pursue, the easier it will become.

Good luck and stay after them!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Some times I really get the shakes, most often if I can hear the deer for a while before I see it.  The longer this goes on the more unglued I get.  Once I see the deer I can focus and zone in.  If I get the chance to release an arrow the shaking starts as soon as the deer is gone  I really focus on slowing my breathing and looking just at the spot I want the arrow to go, not at any other part of the animal.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I can normally stay very concentrated until the shot. After the shot is when it gets me.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
When I got the shakes like you I had to start asking myself how am I going to kill it. Front leg swing forward, pick a spot ect it seemed to calm me down until after the shot anyway. O if it has big antlers DONT look at them!!!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Try to channel that adrenaline into picking a spot.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
No need to get excited when hunting deer on public land in PA, you usually don't see any!!!       :biglaugh:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
After practicing all summer and finally finding myself in the woods opening day..I want that rush of adrenaline when opportunity arrives.

I grip the bow a little tighter, fingers tighten up on the string...this is what I've practiced for. However...to ease the rush, I just tell myself "It's just an animal and I'm going to kill it." My focus is on the vitals and hopefully my arrow finds it's mark.

I believe the more animals you take, the more relaxed you become when making the shot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Here is how it usually works for me:

I am sittng in a stand and a critter (deer, hog, whatever) walks out. I feel my heart start to beat fast and get a bit nervous. I watch the critter for a while as it moves about in front of me. At some point, the critter makes a mistake and gets in a position where I think "It's time".

At that point everything fades away. I am not nervous, and can no longer detect that my heart is racing or that I am breathing faster. I draw my bow and loose an arrow.

At that point, when I see my arrow zip through the critter, is when I go to shaking like crazy. I get the shakes so bad (esp if it is cold out) that I have to hold onto the tree or a minute if I am hunting in a tree stand.

That's how it usually happens for me.

Bisch

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
I try to repeat my shot sequence over in my head and focus on a spot. But I think it is also important to try to practice these types of scenarios too. I try to do this by shooting after vigorous exercise at least once a week. After a run and some push-ups my body feels close to how it feels when that buck of a lifetime is coming in. Knowing that I can pull off the shot when sweaty, shaky, and out of breath gives me the confidence to make it happen.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I remember looking through the platform of my stand at a doe looking up at me thinking I must look like a leafy Elvis my leg was shaking so bad. That was last year after being in that situation many times over the years.

If everything happens in a hurry I'm fine til after the shot.

I usually try to tell myself "Full draw pick a spot" "full draw pick a spot" til I shoot. That doesn't always work.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Medium bucks and does... no problem for me.  Huge bucks, I tend to fall apart!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Best thing to do IMO is to shoot as many live targets as you can.  Even small stuff like squirrels can work a person up if it is the intended quarry.  Try stalking stuff.  It doesn't seem as bad when you think you're the one controlling the situation.  The mind is a funny thing.  Focus on the task.

Bisch x2.  That's how it works for me.  There is still some concentration time after the shot, but that is a matter of picking up any detail you can about what just happened.  That should come automatic.   Then shake......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I do better if things sorta fall into place and it all happens quick enough that I don't have time to get buck fever. If the deer is cautious and comes in slow or something looks wrong I have too much time to look at it and then I might get the shakes. A tactic used by anxiety sufferers is to metally acknowledge that you are getting the shakes. Say to yourself, Hey I'm getting shakey again, OK, go ahead and shake and get it over with. That helps me get control of it. Another trick is to practice tensing and releasing various muscle groups one at a time. This "resets" your system. Next practice breathing from the belly instead of filling your chest. Filling the chest rapidly might make you hyper-ventilate. Belly breathing re-centers your breathing and will calm you. You can't get rid of it but you can live with it and kill deer.
Member NCBA

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Usually, I stay fairly calm, but, admittedly, sometimes I still get the shakes. When you get to the point of actually drawing the bow a few times, you will eventually find yourself concentrating on distance, picking a spot, etc. and the buck fever tends to give way to planning the shot. This is the old saw about falling back on your training and getting the job done.  Still, if all the excitement ever goes out of the shot, I will give up hunting.
Sam

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I believe there IS something to the theory about the more game you shoot the less nervous you become. When I first started squirrel hunting with a rimfire I got nervous as can be spotting, stalking, and aiming. Since then I've killed a ton of squirrels, and although I still enjoy hunting them, I'm no where near as excited as I was back then.
   The problem with bowhunting deer is, I'll never kill all that many, so ....................
but, I don't get out much, but if you do, keep in mind, even if it doesn't get easy, you'll become less nervous.  :D
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
It gets me after the shot, sometimes I have to calm down before I can climb out of stand.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
When i quit getting nervous its time to quit.Just try to focus on the spot i'm trying to hit. Aim small miss small.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©