3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you stay calm!  (Read 615 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you stay calm!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Two years ago I fell to pices over a large buck a 10yd shot right over the top of him.I was sooo mad I felt sick all day in fact I was sick for 3 days.It was on my mind all the time.I really had to think this through an deal with it.I am as good of shot as any.( average) but my nerves got the best of me on that day.however the next year I was able to hold my self together an take an even larger buck.I knew I had to hold myself together or I would not get this deer either.missing that big old buck was a learning curve.I knew from that day forward I got to hold myself together.missing that big buck taught me a huge lession.now I fall apart after the shot.trad hunting is about 50% mental an about 50 % mental. pick a spot stay calm get the job done!!!

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Just deep breaths and focus.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Most animals dont bother me.Bull elk on the other hand give me a real heart pounding.Im alright until i see that arrow hit.I hunt from a treestand for elk,after the shoot i have to sit down in fear of falling out.I just dont get that from deer or other animals.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Experience is the best cure.  I almost hyperventilated before, but luckily had time and a tree blocking me to get it back together.

That is all part of it.  Just try your best to focus on getting it done!

Oh and you've heard it before, but take your eyes off that rack and start doing the little things - feet and body in position, make sure arrow not behind a branch, strap, just do the other little things you need to get ready - that might help some.    :dunno:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
I don't get the shakes, but that doesn't mean that I don't get excited.  I get kinda tunnel-visioned and just wait for the shot opportunity.  I wish that I could take more relaxed breaths, but I take shallow breaths and it is a really difficult to focus and pick a spot.  I don't know if I will ever stop having to remind myself to do that.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Coyotes I have no problems with along with other varmits . But when it comes to deer I fall all apart. Most likely have a heart attack if I got close to shoot an elk or somthing. I have trouble hitting deer with a rifle at tweety yards . I do flip out after I get a coyote. Can't hit pigs iether.  :banghead:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
I've mellowed over the years and just learned to keep it together on deer although once in a while I'll still get wound up.  When it comes to elk I do ok with cows and spikes but even raghorns turn me into a mess.  If you ever quit getting excited it's time to quit hunting.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I rarely get nervous over anything but I do get the shakes after the shot. Im almost always calm before the shot. I just watch the deer closely and keep focusing on the spot I wanna shoot.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
First deer I see always gets my heart pounding.  I think that's a good thing.

Just practice and time in the woods.  "Cool and detatched" comes with practice and experience.  I truly think 3-D targets placed in woods similar to were you hunt helps, as does roving and certainly small game hunting.  Your brain has to kick into: "hey, cool, a deer.  Now I do that thing I do with the bow".
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
Oh, I just don't... but that's okay.  I like it that way!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
This probably sounds silly, but this is how I (attempt) to keep nerves under control.  I kill "freezer" deer and just about every one I mentally recite to myself that "I'm going to let this one walk, I'll just enjoy watching it and won't even draw".  Then if the shot presents, I'll allow myself a "dress rehearsal" to draw, anchor and pick a spot, all the while telling myself I'm going to let down.  When I let down, the arrow's on its way and I usually don't even remember releasing!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
For me, it's all about concentration.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Get your breathing in order, talk your way thru it, and remember "nobody" stays completely calm. It wouldn't be any fun !!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Since I've had some serious heart problems for the last 25yrs I've had to make myself get a grip when it comes to staying calm.

In yrs past it didn't matter if it was a little doe or giant buck my heart would beat so loud and fast I was sure it could be heard.

Then about 8yrs ago I had a group of does come up on me and had to draw, hold, letdown..and draw a finally shoot. All while I was as excited as if I was shooting a big buck. When it was over..I killed two does..but I had some very serious chest pains and had to sit down in my treestand and hope   I wasn't going to have a heart attack.

Anyway, after that episode I got serious and learned to talk to myself while on stand and regularly remind myself to relax and be calm in all situations. It's worked..now I just kinda go into a situation mode with me being in control of my emotions. It's kinda like one of my favorite quotes..don't remember who from, but instead of mind I use emotions.

"Be the master of your mind, not it's servant."

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
a little taste of shine    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
When I am under pressure I count backwards starting at 100.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I am not the most experience woodsman but get mighty jumpy and heart pounding when I think something is around me. I get all worked up over any deer, I tell myself " that is why I am here" for the big monster which I rarely see and it helps a little

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Rob I always thought you had a little Elvis in you LOL

I Always get the heart thumps when even so much as a squirrel comes by. I calm down pretty quick usually by telling myself hit or miss being here at the moment is good enough. Took me years to learn that and until I did I just suffered through it and hoped for the best.

Now by the time I take the shot I'm usually pretty calm just enjoying the moment and focusing on the spot. After the shot I got to sit down and get it back together though cause it comes back in a flash. Especially if that flash is red LOL
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I just go into kill mode. If it doesn't pertain to getting the shot off, it doesn't enter my mind.
If you are going to get shook up, there will be  plenty of time...after the shot.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
slow deep breathing helps a lot. concentrate on your exhale.... it takes practice at first, but you'll get the hang of it..... after awhile the rush comes after the shot.... and permission to shake is granted...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©