3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baking Soda Bath?  (Read 172 times)

Offline rollin

• Trad Bowhunter
Baking Soda Bath?
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I normally am a shower taker but..I have been reading about how adding baking soda to a hot bath can clean as well as remove any odors. Has anyone tried this for scent control?

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baking Soda Bath?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I have used baking soda when washing my hunting clothes and wiping my body with it after a shower before heading to the woods

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I wash my clothes in it. Cheap and has no scent.

As for showering, I just use any old non scent soap. Baby soap works fine.

I think a baking soda hot bath would work well. It'd be relaxing, too!

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I take a cup of baking soda into the shower. Just get wet, turn water off, rub it all over (hair too), rinse and go.

It does work - at least I'm a believer. I brush my teeth and also wash my clothes in it. (Hang out to dry & store in a plastic container with crushed pine needles.)

I've several times had deer downwind that did not spook with this method. I'm not saying they didn't smell me - just saying it obviously was not strong enough to raise an alarm.

Hint: use unscented deoderant, go slow and dress appropriately to minimize sweating.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:
I take a cup of baking soda into the shower. Just get wet, turn water off, rub it all over (hair too), rinse and go.

It does work - at least I'm a believer. I brush my teeth and also wash my clothes in it. (Hang out to dry & store in a plastic container with crushed pine needles.)

I've several times had deer downwind that did not spook with this method. I'm not saying they didn't smell me - just saying it obviously was not strong enough to raise an alarm.

I do this same routine & I haven't heard a deer snort, stomp front hoof or raise tail & run from me in years. That used to be a common thing prior to the above routine.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I use it as well. I put my hunting cloths in a trash bag add baking soda shake it up and your ready to go.

I also like it for washing hair and body. I also exclusively use the unscented baking soda brand (arm and hammer) deodorant.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
After showering, I put my hunting clothes on and the clothes have been stored in a plastic garbage bag filled with leaves from the forest floor.

In the piney woods, I smell like a pine tree. In one of my hunting areas which is populated by oak trees, I smell like a oak tree.

This gives me my edge in the areas I bowhunt in. The wind usually never gives me away because my human scent is masked.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Baking soda works good. I also use it as a mouthwash...that's an aquired taste, but it seems to work.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I have some commercial soap now, but I used to just use baking soda in the shower, and had good success.   I'll have to mix up a bottle with some for a mouthwash to swish with before I head to my stand ( I like to sip coffee while I drive to my hunting area in the morning).
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I use the commercial scent free soaps but used to use baking soda, but not much anymore!
Isn't there something about taking chloryphyl tablets a couple of weeks before you hunt to cut down on body odor? thanks.

Kenny    :dunno:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©