3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow(5%)Hunting(95%): Improving the 95%  (Read 337 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow(5%)Hunting(95%): Improving the 95%
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I will say that I am SUBSTANTIALLY better as a hunter now than I was only six or seven years ago.  Pay attention to what it happening around you, be still or move very very slowly, and put in the time.  Reading, scouting, studying...This is all good as well.  I have a long way to go, but I have gotten markedly better both in skill and philosophy, and this has shown me how much more there is that can be learned and enjoyed.
Silence is golden.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I bow hunted for deer for two years before I got a shot at my first deer.I found that most of my problem then was the people I hunted with that couldn't sit motionless or got up to walk around after awhile because they got stiff. Now I usually see deer everytime I'm out. I also turn down alot of shots every year and have seasons that I never shoot a deer. I learn something every season that I log in the old memory bank. My best year I sat 88 times and turned down many shots waiting for a big buck. Ended that season shooting the smallest buck I had seen on the last hour of the last day and it was one of the best seasons I ever had! Ironicly I'd practiced drawing on that same buck three times prior to shooting him and that was invalueable experience learning how to draw on one without being seen. All the practice before hunting lets you have confidence that given the opportunity you can make the shot. I shoot everyday with few exceptions so when shot comes I will give the animal the repect it deserves to be put down quickly and humanely.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Brian, I'm not from Chicago... I live in greater Rockford, in the far north central part of Illinois.  The property I hunt is within a few miles of the Wisconsin border.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
It's been said already on here, but time in the woods will probably help you more than anything else.  And this includes time spent scouting.  Find an area with a lot of sign and stick with it.  Scout ahead of time to plan for different scenarios (wind direction, bad weather, what the food sources are at any given time, etc.).  In north Louisiana, we have a fairly long archery season, Oct. 1 - Jan 31, so food sources vary greatly throughout the season.  This means that scouting during the season is important (One of the main reasons that I squirrel hunt).  I have different areas that are "hot" during different times of the year and I hunt them accordingly.  I'm pretty new to traditional archery, but I have killed a fair few deer with firearms and "non-traditional" archery gear.  I also believe that you can learn much more from watching deer than from killing deer.

If you can find someone who is a "good" hunter to hunt with, that is a big help.  I grew up hunting along side my dad, who is one of the best hunters I know.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
My brand new pretty bow might help.

seriously though, I have nothing to add to whats been previously stated.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks, Charlie!  It just might! ... Let me give you my address...!

Actually, I've got a right pretty-lookin' bow already, and it even shoots where it's supposed to most of the time.  And I'm not bad in the woods, either... but man, those whitetails!!

Offline Grizzbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
Most my kills come on a whim. Also the biggest. create a theory in your head año go with its usually a sign from the spirits

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
I think it is mostly mental.  Even many poor hunters know the right thing to do, they just don't do it.  So I believe it is about confidence.  Spend some time scouting (even if it is done remotely on maps) and feel like you know your area.  This feeling seems to keep you more aware of your surroundings and keeps you alert.  When you are confident a critter is coming around the corner any minute, you tend to be more still waiting on it.

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Putting in time is important, but even Mr. Wensel said in his book that $$ can help, by buying into posted land leases that limit hunters and contain game. All the woodsmanship in the world won't get you anywhere if there is no game on the land you hunt when you're there. Here in southeastern PA, there is plenty of public land. The only problem is that after the first couple of days of the season,the deer aren't on that land until well after dark, because there's plenty of private wooded farmland for them to hide in where the pressure is much less. So I content myself with taking my bow for a walk, sitting in good areas that might have a deer passing thru, and not having to drag a deer out! Oh, and the few deer I have seen are so small that I'm content to let them go to grow up.    ;)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Putting aside my thoughts that the idea of a 95/5 balance is a bit of a stretch (50/50 maybe), the best hunters I've known all had one thing in common (aside from being excellent archers). They were/are students of the animals they hunt. One can spend a lifetime pursuing a species and learn little to nothing if they do not trully study their quary. There's an old cliche that applies here about the difference between 20 years of experience and 1 year of experience repeated 20 times.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks, Jason... that last line is some pretty sage advice.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Like many have already said, there is no substitute for time in the field. Be observant and learn from your experiences. Time spent in good habitat will result in close encounters and shot opportunities. Being ready when they are presented is the challenge. It often happens quickly when you least expect it so try to be ready at all times. I get antsy if I don't have my bow in hand with an arrow knocked during daylight, especially hunting on the ground. Be safe, but be ready.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Archie - going off what you wrote I think you are on tthe right track.

Couple a thoughts: One is it is healthy to not be satisfied with less - dream big - then go live those dreams.

Mentors are good. Sharing a camp with experienced hunters is fun and will help. I have shared camps and been profoundly influenced and inspired and learned a lot from other sucessful hunters.

Reading is good - talking more here about books - I can get you a list of you like. Really like your mention of a journal - we keep them and use them. Most importantly we use these as we strive to not make the same mistake twice and by actually writing down shots taken and what gets hit where and what gets recovered will teach you 'good' is not 'good enough'

Don't settle - we hunt year round - everyone can - its attitude - commitment - and state of mind - we are not big on excuses.

Interesting mention of 5%/95% and truthfully I never heard that before - and I see mention of 50%/50% ?? I wouldn't know but both could be correct for two different approaches to bowhunting - I might be 2% tackle 98% huntiing   :)  

I think the next first step might be for you to decide "what" IS "sucessful" in your opinion - then map a way to reach that goal. This bowhunting thing is more about the road traveled than the destination - BUT you might just pass beyond your goals - we sure did.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
<><
<------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©