3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best (inexpensive) portable 'block' target?  (Read 345 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Best (inexpensive) portable 'block' target?
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Hey all,
looking to buy one of the foam-type block targets for backyard & on-the-road shooting. Something small & not too expensive - probably looking to spend $75 or less...
It'll be used for field tips only as I shoot my broadheads into sod-buts.
Anyone with experience with these have any recommendations? Solid foam vs. layers? Best name brand?
thanks for any feedback!
Rando

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best (inexpensive) portable 'block' target?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
I dont buy commercial targets anymore. But A couple of couch cushions found on trash day duct taped together at the top and bottom are the cheapest( AKA Fee) and most portable I found. And they will stop a field pointed as well as broadhead from a 70# Hill longbow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I picked up a little black square rubbery target from Bass Pro that is made by McKenzie.   It's about 14-16" square and all the edges are beveled and it has a carry strap built into it and all of the flat sides have small bullseyes so that you can shoot if from any angle.

Today is the first nice day I've had to get out and I'll be shooting it.   It cost $75, I believe.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
I recommend getting the original Block target. They are fairly portable and only cost $45.99. They last a very long time just shooting field tips but bh's really seem to do them in.
James Kerr

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I use a milk jug filled half way with "Great Stuff"...
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Yoga block.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
Yoga block.
I have been trying for over a year here telling people to try a Yoga block cause they are made like a 18-1 rineheart target and can also make your guiver hood or a replacement for vital section of your 3-D target...They come in different colors too...They make a Big yoga block also that is around $29.00... Just do a search for Yoga blocks and find the cheapest ones you can afford...Glad someone else finally wised up to use them..Cut with a bandsaw or a handsaw and sand on a belt sander to shape it... Make some little critters from them if you want...The blocks are cheap...
                              Keefers <><

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
I have one of the original Block brand targets too. I think they are called The Block Classic now.  Works great with trad bows, hardly any wear after probably a thousand shots. I never shoot broadheads in it though, I use the cheap foam blocks for that.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
They sell a bag U-FILL IT ($23), which can be filled with plastic, and other scraps. It works for field points only, broadheads will tear it up.

Make your own from a heavy cardboard box, fill with plastic bags, scraps etc. G. Fred Asbell uses one. Good for home use, not weather proof.

I bought a Block Classic target, still being used after 10 yrs., BH's will eventually eat it up, good for FP & BH's.

Use a small Rhinhart 18-1 which for travel, good with FP & BH's. But, the YOGA Blocks are cheaper...dang it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Bought one of these a few weeks ago.  Easily transported and fairly inexpensive compared to others.  Seems to be holding up well.
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=101-52500X
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
They all suck except for Rhinehart if you asked me, and those I have broadhead problems with after relatively few shots. In that, I mean they will grab the broadheads and when you pull the arrow, it snags on the innards and tears it.  I try to stick with fp's for routine practice and shoot at deer cardboard cutouts, pinecones or old plastic bottles in front of a sand bank with old broadheads for BH practice when it gets close to hunting season.

Dave

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I picked up a smaller CUBE target a couple of years ago and it's finally getting a soft spot in the middle, very durable targets.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
My granny always said poor people have poor ways! I use a feed bag stuffed with throw-away clothes the kids have outgrown. They don't make a better field point target. When you finally shoot the bag up just slip on a new one.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keefer:

Originally posted by njloco:
Yoga block.
I have been trying for over a year here telling people to try a Yoga block cause they are made like a 18-1 rineheart target and can also make your guiver hood or a replacement for vital section of your 3-D target...They come in different colors too...They make a Big yoga block also that is around $29.00... Just do a search for Yoga blocks and find the cheapest ones you can afford...Glad someone else finally wised up to use them..Cut with a bandsaw or a handsaw and sand on a belt sander to shape it... Make some little critters from them if you want...The blocks are cheap...
                              Keefers <>< [/b]
Ditto!
I ordered the smaller blocks (6X3X9) online for about 6$ a piece. Scattered them over the yard and have at them.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
DayTripper,
  Now would you also say it feels like a rinehart target as far as denceness? From what I can feel these are as close if not exact same material and I think once everyone has tried one they could repair their worn out killzone on any 3-D animal target for around $4.00 to $6.00 max...Try one you will Thank me...  ;)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Though I did hear about it on here, I don't remember who posted it up, but I'll roll with it, Thanks Daytripper.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline gokartjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
The best DIY target I have found yet is a coffee bean burlap bag stuffed with either plastic bags or old clothes. My son and I shoot alot and we usually make quick work of targets. I have tried poly bags (grass seed bags), but they didnt hold up for long. The burlap on the coffee bean bags just seems to hold up better...

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Good info here. Ive tried most all the commercial brands and haven't found one that hold up very well to broaheads. Even the broadhead advertised targets seem to come apart eventually. I have found the "Great Stuff" an inexpensive filler for just about any thing you wanna turn into a target. I have even filled the soft foam turkey targets to make them 3D. But if your looking for a commercial brand id just go with the smallest block target you can find.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I used a yoga block today. Thanks for the suggestion.

I shot broadheads into it.  It wont last forever, but for $10 it will do what I need.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©