3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the sharpest knife you own?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the sharpest knife you own?
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
What is the sharpest knife you own and what steel is it? I don't mean the one that feels sharp and will shave, but one that would gut out 5 or more deer without being sharpened.
At this time I only own one and it is a Al Mar survival knife out of S30V steel with a 4 1/2" cutting blade.
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the sharpest knife you own?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I have Buck a 105 and a 110 that has done it. I have a new Randall that should do it    ;)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Bushmaster by Daniel Koster in 3v steel.  My hunting knife is a Russ Komer Brow Tine and I like it a lot as well.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I've got a Cutco hunting knife that's been through a dozen plus deer and a bunch of turkeys and it's never seen a sharpener.  Love that thing...
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
A KME sharpened Buck 110 folder. Gutted 5 deer with it two years ago and it will still shave clean. In between each deer it was washed and stropped lightly on a piece of leather. We slit our deer all the way to the base of the neck too so it went thru the cartilage connecting the ribs to the sternum.

Fine piece of steel for the money. Never liked Buck's steel before my KME sharpener due to how hard they are. With a KME hardness is not a factor and a harder blade holds the edge longer. Hope to have one of Mr. Tippit's forged knives one day.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
The Havalon Piranta.Honestly,I have 12-15(I've lost count)expensive,custom knives made of all the high tech custom,stainless steels and all are sitting in a cupboard and I now use the Piranta.I use knives and scalpels on a daily basis and may be more sensitive about blade sharpness but I can feel when a blade starts to "slow down" and either touch it up or trade knives when it happens.I normally don't "gut" deer but skin,and quarter them to pack out.I never get through one without touching up or changing a blade.Often,this work is done after dark and with the Piranta,I change a blade and keep moving.

Anyone interested in some nice custom knives?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I have several, Buck, Gerber, Helle, Cammilus, and Kabar........only the Gerber is Stainless, the rest carbon steel.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
cold steel recon tanto doesnt look hunting but its a tough girl
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
The only "nice" knives I can afford are Buck knives. I have a #112 folder (gift from my daughter)and a model 692 sheath knife. Can't rember when I last sharpened either, but they are only used (usually) for cleaning and skinning game. Would love to have a custom knife........... someday.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
+1 on the havlon! They seem like they wouldn't be so great but they are! I use mine for a light wieght pack in knife. But recently I started using the blades only for shaping heads on spun deer hair flys. Its crazy sharp!
Levi Bedortha

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Helle Polar.  No idea what the steel is beside that it is laminated.  Takes and holds a keen edge.

I have a Benchmade D2 steel Activator that was a cast iron b!tc# to sharpen (I used a KME with diamond stones) but hasn't had to be touched up or resharpened since.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
My Puma Fox 440C,
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
La Clair Little Shaver

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Chris reeve professional solder model I'm on deer number 4 haven't touched the factory edge yet

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimB:
The Havalon Piranta.Honestly,I have 12-15(I've lost count)expensive,custom knives made of all the high tech custom,stainless steels and all are sitting in a cupboard and I now use the Piranta.I use knives and scalpels on a daily basis and may be more sensitive about blade sharpness but I can feel when a blade starts to "slow down" and either touch it up or trade knives when it happens.I normally don't "gut" deer but skin,and quarter them to pack out.I never get through one without touching up or changing a blade.Often,this work is done after dark and with the Piranta,I change a blade and keep moving.

Anyone interested in some nice custom knives?

The Piranta is all I use any more. I am very sharpening challenged and this little scalpel knife with a replaceable blade has solved all my hunting knife frustrations. It will easily do 2 or 3 deer on one blade. Pigs are death to the blades and only 1 pig per blade. When it gets dull I just smile and change out the blade.

Bisch

Offline Oldruffedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm going to have to say the Havalon as well. I got one just like Jim's and that thing makes me nervous it's so sharp. I got it to use to skin predators but using it on everything else. I've got some great knives but this one is what I've been carrying.

Offline Wickles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I've been using a Havalon as well lately but prior to that I have a Dozier that really holds an edge.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
So far the best knives I have found for getting sharp and staying sharp, are Spyderco.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
A Benchmade Spike.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
A custom by Master knife maker Bob Crowder of Thompson Falls,MT and a Cheyenne Hawk which was the predecessor to the Lakota Hawk By Lakota Knives.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©