3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the sharpest knife you own?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the sharpest knife you own?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
A Craig Barr forged blade made of 52100 steel may be the one that stays the sharpest under hard use. I have the 2012 St. Jude auction bowie knife that Doug Campbell made from 52100, and it is also amazingly sharp, but I haven't used it for cutting up game. There are lots of great steels that will make amazing blades if they are properly designed, constructed and heat-treated, but that is no small task. There are some fantastic knife makers on this site who can put together outstanding knives that will do anything a fellow could reasonably expect a knife to do and do it well.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
I have a bowie knife that is Damascus steel, I have never seen anything get so sharp and stay that way with use.

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
I have the buck 692bkg and the 399 folder and they are sharp out of the box but they are easy to put an edge on and they hold it.  I also carry one of two Buck USA pocket knives that are also great.  I have alot of nice Schrades, Gerbers, Kershaws, Benchmades and CRKT's but the Bucks are my favorites.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »
the sharpest knife i own. well i would say the whole dam lot all 10 of em   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:00 AM »
I own several knives but have found my Bladetech folder of S30V steel is my "go to" blade. Have boned out up to 3 hogs before needing a touch up.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
I dont think this kind of performance is uncommon these days. A good steel properly heat treated and sharpened will last a long time, especially if you clean it after each use and spend 30 seconds stropping it on a piece of leather or a thick coarse cloth. Stropping between uses only takes a few seconds but makes a huge difference.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Either of my knives made by Doug Campbell. Great steel and craftmanship.

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
My Spyderco knife by far is the sharpest thing out of the box I have ever seen. I got to the point I did not want anyone to see it because they would want to touch it. No matter how many times I warned them not to touch the blade the first thing someone would do is lightly run their finger down the blade and cut the $@^%$ out of themselves.  :knothead:
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Just picked up a "Mora Companion" for around $12. They are made of carbon steel and come from Sweden. Let me tell you this knife was hair shaving sharp right out of the box. Now I know why they are so popular.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Just picked up a "Mora Companion" for around $12. They are made of carbon steel and come from Sweden. Let me tell you this knife was hair shaving sharp right out of the box. Now I know why they are so popular.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I have a Autumn Hunter by Swafford knives, D2 steel, that worked up 7 deer the year before last before i had to touch it up with a diamond steel. I have another of his knives that I use for skinning at home if the deer is brought out whole and a Fin and Feather that will go to my daughter this fall if she is hunting with me.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I don't own one but have seen video and read that the Bark River Bravo 1 is beyond scaring sharp out of the box.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
I would've thought Case would get a vote or 2.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I've got 2 Dunn knives that I bought right from Melvin when he had a booth at the Harrisburg hunting expo.I think I got them in '98 or '99. Both are D2 steel and sharpened on a buffing wheel.RAZOR sharp and hold an edge great.If they do dull down you just touch them up on the wheel with polishing compound.He was a really nice guy to deal with and his knives are the best ones I've had so far.
The bigger knife is a "Predator 3" and the smaller one is a "Minker"

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom:
I have a Autumn Hunter by Swafford knives, D2 steel, that worked up 7 deer the year before last before i had to touch it up with a diamond steel. I have another of his knives that I use for skinning at home if the deer is brought out whole and a Fin and Feather that will go to my daughter this fall if she is hunting with me.
X2.  My Swafford worked on 3 deer last year and is still very sharp.  Doubt that I will need to touch it up until after this season.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
My opinel no. 10 is sharper than my straight razor, and I have the scars to prove it.

Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I really like Buck knives as well as my Boker. They take an edge easily and hold it for a long time. I gave my Mulea ( a Spanish knife ) a go last year and it really held up well as far as ease of sharpening and holding an edge.
James Kerr

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
My favorite and sharpest is my Puma Flugwildmesser made in Soligen Germany. This knife was passed down from my grandfather to my father then to me.

The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Never had 5 deer to dress at once but my Buck 560 titanium is sharp.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
ALL of my knives are sharp, a dull blade is worthless IMO.

My go to deer knife is my "Skinner" 3 3/4" blade of 1095 Hi-Carbon steel, hand forged and edged tempered
 http://shrewbows.com/laclair_skinner/index.html

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©