3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Ghillie Suit  (Read 218 times)

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Ghillie Suit
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I made a ghillie suit for this fall when it gets nice and cool (it's heavy and hot). I sewed a volleyball net to a set of ACU's,  then tied dyed burlap strips onto the net.  I believe this is how Marine snipers make their suits.  If y'all have any further questions, please ask.  The whole project took about 40 hours to complete. Good Hunting.      

Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Ghillie Suit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Good looking suit!

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Don't wash the burlap in the wasing machine. lololol  Actually I think the dryer was my problem.  I made one with burlap strips and washed it in scent free stuff and I got it out in handfuls lolol.  It was pretty funny but dang what a mess.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Looks good I would strip some burlap strands down the horizontal stands and then find the biggest mud puddle and roll it around to really coat it I mean really drag it through the mud. Then hose it off let it dry in the sun for a few hours until completely dry the beat it out like a rug. It will be a fantastic fall dead leaf suit after that

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
The suit looks pretty good. Since you asked for suggestions I'll add a few, JWIWD.

I'd only suggest a few things that won't take you long to do.

The first thing I'd suggest is...and this takes a little time, is start to string some of he strips that are tied on the suit. This will give the suit more depth and help break up the suit to blend in even more.

The second thing I'd do if you haven't trimmed for your bow arm yet is I'd shoot and see where your suit catches then trim to accomodate, unless you've got an arm guard that will cover it then you may not need to trim or trim as much.

The only other thing I might suggest is if you have any ability to add any smaller pieces of the surrounding vegetation without sacrificing bow shootability and movement issues is just that add a little of what's arround you to blend you in even better than you're already gonna be.

My final suggestion is HAVE FUN! You will be AMAZED at how close deer are gonna get to you....sometimes they get TOO close! LOL!

Good looking suit, nice job.  :thumbsup:  Good luck and hope to see you in your Ghillie with a nice deer posted up soon.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
You've got a perfect start there, nice work! At a click this would be good. You'll want much softer edges if you want to trick deer at close range.

I'd suggest NOT washing/drying, but if you insist just do a good soak with a garden hose, then put it in a laundry bag before you put it in the dryer (or even better, hang dry it.) Check it every ten minutes or so. If you just toss all that burlap in a dryer it will either clog vent or do that and catch fire.

Personally I'd strip out all the horizontal burlap so the vertical strands hang nicely and fuzz out good for you. Of course that will triple your build time, but it looks really good.

You could mix in some untwisted hemp twine, it's a nice light absorbing texture to augment a jewt suit. Just don't over do it.

Finally, if you don't use any of the methods above to wear it in, just soak it with a hose and tie a 10' rope to your trailer ball and to the different parts of your suit and do some donuts in the gravel with it whipping around behind you. You really gotta do something to wear it in. Check it frequently if you do this, "wearing in" and "wearing out" is a fine line.

Oh, and x3 on clearing a nice spot for your string to clear.

Once your suit is all fuzzy, don't be afraid to mix in leaves, weeds, etc, each time you head into the field.
Thom

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Nice job!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
looks good!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
nice suit but  you forgot one thing. the Chiggers   :scared:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Good job!!! I  hope to here a "deer down" story from you.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Good job!   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©