3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear spray vs a handgun  (Read 721 times)

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear spray vs a handgun
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Well,
Bow season here in Wisconsin opens Satruday.
I rarely hunt opener, but utilize the weekend for setting up stands and trimming shooting lanes(and fishing for smallies and musky!)

This is the first time I'm going by myself. Usually my brother-in-law(limbhanger on here) or my dad is with me.
The last couple of years there have been an increasing number of wolves in my area(Presque Isle)
I'm not really worried about bears, but the wolves bother me a little. Hearing them howl at times, it seems like they are 100 yards away from me. I did not apply for Wisconsins first year of wolf tags.
I do not own a handgun.
Do I borrow my buddies 44 mag, or just carry my Grizzly bear spray?

Setting up stands in the middle of no-where is a little creepy as well. I will be using a harness when setting stands, but if something happens.....Hope my wife isn't reading this. LOL

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear spray vs a handgun
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I say 44 Mag all the way, but that is just my opinion.

Good Luck
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
44 mag X 2
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Some say they think spray is more effective, however bear spray doesn't hit with 970 ft/lbs at 1550 fps. (Hornady 240 HP XTP)

44 X 3
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
with choice between spray and handgun...i would prefer to take both in hopes that bear will be downwind and just a whiff will send it on its way.  I shoot all the time...have my entire life from .22 up through the heaviest handgun loads you can muster for a Ruger revolver.  I shoot heavy .45-70 loads as well from my Marlin 1895....so I am used to recoil and know I dont shoot my 325gr .45 ++P loads as well as I do the standard loads..not by long shot...it takes practice and you got to be recoil in-sensitive a bit.  One good thing is once you have practiced...you wont notice recoil once adrenaline pumps in you but then it makes you likely less accurate.

if strong cross or headwinds though....or a bear that likes a little spice with his snacks....I will be glad to have my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter single action in .45Colt using very stout Buffalo Bore loads that I shoot all the time...or a Ruger Redhawk in .44mag with Garret Hammerheads or Buffalo Bore loads as well.

If money was no option might get a Freedom Arms or BFR in .475Linebaugh or .454 Casull but would want to practice with it quite a bit and build up to full loads to ensure I could hit what I intended under stress.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
If you don't shoot a powerful handgun a lot, don't expect to hit much in a stressful situation. The odds of you being attacked by a bear/wolf/sasquatch are pretty slim to none, anyhow. If bear spray gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, then by all means take it along. Otherwise, just hunt and enjoy your time in the woods.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Any cartridge that can take down a man could handle a wolf. So a 44 mag will get the job done with power to spare. If you are not experienced with a handgun you might want to get some experience. It is easier to miss something than you think -- even something the size of a wolf. Also the first time you shoot a 44 mag the recoil will impress you. You don't want that first shot shock  to be in an emergency situation.
My 2 cents worth.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I am a Kimber man myself...mace for bears, broadheads and .45 lead for canines.
Mike Davenport

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
If your only worried about the wolfs a 22 mag will work. I would be more worried about the bears. 44 mag +4 In our bow seasons you can't have any fire arm on you while bow hunting. Would love to get close to a wolf.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Wissler.  I hunt northern Wisconsin where we have more than a few wolves, and I frequently hear them and occasionally see them.  The odds of having to use a gun to defend yourself is slim to none.  That being said, I carry a 10mm Glock.  I chose to do this because most of our bloodtrailing is at night and I try to bring my kids to teach them a thing or two.  Again, the odds are outrageously small that I'd ever need a gun, and no one has been killed, but I refuse to be the first.  Besides, my arrows are too expensive to use on the plethora of Porkies eating our trees!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Choose either. They both deter a bear by inflecting enough grief that the bear loses interest in you. Neither are immediately lethal. The only advantages to bear spray are that it is lighter and easier to hit the bear with.  The best choice may be to simply use your bow. It’s an impressive weapon.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
In my experience as a cop for over thirty years the vast majority of people who think they are good with a gun aren't.  No disrespect intended, but that's just the way it is.

Add to that a low light situation and being pumped up with adrenilin and trying to hit a target that is likely moving besides, well I hope you see my point.

Not saying not to carry, just put in some time and effort to get good enough to make it useful.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I would opt for a 357 over the 44, much easier to shoot well.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
BAK is right-carry a riot gun, does not take hours at the range to perfect.  Wasn"t an option listed, but he-motion makes many miss what would be sure hits on calm days.  Buckshot cuts well, and if you get a false charge, a shot int he ground maybe all you need to deter the beast.
I was hunting blue grouse this weekend and saw much bear scat.  Longbow in the hand and pistol in the shoulder rig-mostly to make noise as our bears are rarely aggressive.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline wissler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the input so far.
I will not be bowhunting most likely, only setting up stands, and clearing shooting lanes. Maybe I'll be hunting on Sunday morning.

I am very confident with my Dads 357 out to 30 yards, but the targets are "never" moving. It's too nice of a gun to let me drag it around the woods though. Dads in his 70's and real anal about his stuff.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I would go with a 44 magnum and possibly a larger calliber if you can handle it. When it comes down to your personal safety I certaintly don't want to leave anything to chance. If I was going to be hunting somewhere that had bears and wolves around I would carry at least a 44 magnum semi automatic equipped with a laser sight (as Mac said if something happens it will probably be dark and your target will be moving, not to mention most people would be scared to wits end if a bear or wolf charged them).
James Kerr

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
just my opinion...I HAVE been charged by bear twice.....have never been charged by a wolf....I would worry A LOT more about bears than wolves.......just my opinion and experiances.....carry spray.....  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
I would go with a 44 magnum and possibly a larger calliber if you can handle it. When it comes down to your personal safety I certaintly don't want to leave anything to chance. If I was going to be hunting somewhere that had bears and wolves around I would carry at least a 44 magnum semi automatic equipped with a laser sight (as Mac said if something happens it will probably be dark and your target will be moving, not to mention most people would be scared to wits end if a bear or wolf charged them).
.44 mag is a revolver cartridge.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
If it were me, I would aways opt for something that goes BANG, over something that goes pssst.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimB:

Originally posted by JamesKerr:
.44 mag is a revolver cartridge. [/b]
uummm... my Ruger Deerfield was not a handgun.    ;)
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©