3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Carts  (Read 566 times)

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Carts
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Who has and uses them? I'm debating on getting one for some of the public land I hunt. Best ones for the money? Things I should look for in a good cart? Any and all help would be appreciated.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Carts
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Carts are great just don't buy the cheapest one out there.  Look at the reviews on all of them.  
  The bigger the tires on the the easier it will be to drag and pull over logs an debris.  I have the Cebelas alumi light cart and it works great.  Not the biggest tires on the market but it is easy to pull.  I have a pic of it loaded up I will dig it up for ya.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I definitely have & do use them. Below are links to two videos, that you may find helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IAgwDkTc0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmiTkSdPT8&feature=plcp

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I like big tires. They roll better.I would also think about breaks. If you get a big load and are going downhill they help alot. Gary

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Money well spent I use it for hauling ladder stands,and deer. Makes getting a deer out alot easier.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
"Things I should look for in a good cart"

How about 6.9 diesel ??

couldn't resist..........

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
If your'e in hilly country they are more trouble than they're worth from my experience. But to each their own I reckon.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I use mine mainly on public land, its a lifesaver. The big tires are a plus.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matthew Bolton:
If your'e in hilly country they are more trouble than they're worth from my experience. But to each their own I reckon.
x2 for the ones I have used
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
whats wrong with your back and legs.   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Here is my cart.  I got this because of the hill in my area.  I draged a deer out up and down hills for three hours.  Got the deer cart after that it takes however long it took to walk in.    http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/biggamefish/doepinebush013.jpg  
  This pic I am holding the cart up with one hand and taking the pic with the other.  If you get the rear legs and weight centered right it is no problem dragging it out.
  http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/biggamefish/
  Good luck this season.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
I never used a cart, but I do use a body bag I have from when I worked for the Medical examiners office. Contains all the blood so no one can find your spot and keeps the truck clean as well.And in hot weather a chunk of dry ice and it doubles as a fridge. They roll up nice and small and weigh next to nothing. O and they slide over small rocks and bushes,and makes dragging out a breeze. Just go to your local coroner and ask for one, or any military surplus online store should have them(they may be material)

and in Jersey its common to see a man stuffing a body bag in his trunk on a dim lit road, so no worries here...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I've got a Super Mag Hauler from Cabelas.  It's a great option if you have the right terrain.  I have the wheel covers and it's ok for short distances through thick brush, but I really prefer my Deer Sleigh'er for that.  

Any little trail though and it makes hauling a deer a piece of cake.  On the public land here I'm usually not too far from a snowmobile trail so I think it's one of my best purchases.  Just grunt and groan or use the sleigher till I get to the trail and it's smooth sailing the rest of the way.  Makes it easy for one person to get a deer in the back of a pick up too.

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I have the same one as Easykeeper.  I have used mine mainly on hiking trails to haul my camping gear in and back out for several miles.  Money well apent in my opinion. However, I don't think I would drag one through the woods.  Good luck!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I hunt public land with my 4 wheeler and can winch the deer on it without any help, works great for an old guy.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
When the season opens, my cart goes in the truck.  I don't hunt without it anymore.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I am just tagging along and benefiting from the information.  I have often thought about getting a cart.  Appreciate all the suggestions!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Terrian kinda determines their usefulness. I have found them to be at their best in a paved parking lot.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I bought a 500 pound capacity cart from Cabela's in early winter and used it for the first time this spring for getting my bear to the truck.

It worked well... better than I thought it would. I'll be using it from now on.

However, there are two improvements that I'll be making:

1) Fastening the belt strap to the cart in a stronger way (I tore it off in the first few minutes).

2) Closing the space between the bars a little more somehow (a bear is not as stiff as a deer and parts have a tendency to slip through).
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ken Taylor:
I bought a 500 pound capacity cart from Cabela's in early winter and used it for the first time this spring for getting my bear to the truck.

It worked well... better than I thought it would. I'll be using it from now on.

However, there are two improvements that I'll be making:

1) Fastening the belt strap to the cart in a stronger way (I tore it off in the first few minutes).

2) Closing the space between the bars a little more somehow (a bear is not as stiff as a deer and parts have a tendency to slip through).
I have addressed both issues, in the video below.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmiTkSdPT8&feature=plcp

1- I added eye bolts so I could criss cross ratchet straps. That holds everything down nice & tight.

2- I made a custom platform, to keep stuff from sliding down trough the spaces between the supports. Hope this helps ya.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©