3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Carts  (Read 568 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Carts
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
Used mine for the first time last year after my surgery. Worked like a charm and will always be taking it with me.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Big wheels are a must as said above.I built my own and put wheelchair wheels on it
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
IF you can find one- there is not a better cart than the Versa-Cart. 500# cap, Angular wheels with wheel guards to block vines and such, deep body- not flat, animal head near your handle so the cart is balanced.  The wheel tilt lets you walk right over logs. Multiple configurations to haul equipment even boats.

They were being made by Ol' Man but production was stopped. However I read they were going to bring them back. Google it. I've NEVER seen a used one for sale- if you do grab it! Hopefully they will be bavck in production soon.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I bought a Cabelas Alumi-Lite cart 15 yrs. ago and have hauled big game all over the place with it.  Literally best non-bow investment I ever made.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
1) Ameristep non-typ is VERY portable- going in on your back as a backpack.  Lightwt, canted wheels, . . . I have hauled out a few 200#+ field dressed deer with it.  Works great.

2) Another option that I have been doing often the past few years; just quartering them out like the Fred Eichler vid on elk.  I do that on deer- no gutting, deer is on the way out in 20 minutes. Your "deer cart"  is 6 oz. - called a pocket knife! (By the way, I have been deer hunting 40 years- and this was never the tradition from the east/midwest. I think of the deer I dragged out of thick cedar swamps- just can not believe how stupid that was!)  

My 2c
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I have been using carts for 19 years..the first one I made myself using bicycle forks and tires.i bought a folding cart 10 years ago that looks like the Yukon Tracks cart from Gander Mounntain..it has plastic wheels that looked weak but never broke.  I  bought another cart from Gander last year for $70 now $80 with steel wheels

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »

Okay guys dont laugh   :D  

This is how I have been doing it.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Be kinda tough to strap that dolly to a backpack!!!!!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I have one from Cabelas.  I like the double wheels.  I guess it is more for when I am a geezer.  I use it occasionally, if I am in a spot where it will be of help.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I have the Ameristep backpack series, wheels pin on and go inside the folding frame for transport to the animal, unfold attach support struts and pin on wheels and load. I think it weighs around 17lbs? OHH!! one other thing is a huge plus... SOLID TIRES no flats for me.One more thing it has been in the truck since opener.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
In the right situation they are priceless.  My dad and I packed out two quartered bull elk in one trip!  Big load but on a closed logging road it was very easy.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Mine is in the truck as soon as season starts.  Even in thick stuff I find it easier in the long run than ragging.  I don't have plastic sleigh though.  On trails it is almost as fast as just walking back to the truck without a deer.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
My partner got one and uses it for elk and moose.....  he absolutely loves it!     but get a good one!

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »
Versa Cart if you can find one.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm with Dale and Cliff on this... NXT Shot Versa Cart... it truly shines when you get it off trails...

I found another on Craigslist recently and sold it to a friend here in town... by chance I called and it sounds as though the original guy is getting ready to build again or is already...

Cliff's looks like he has the boat option on his that closes it in... they made an ATV and Bike attachment to tow it which I was calling about, but he isn't going to build them anymore

Best cart I've ever used...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Many years ago I was lucky enough to kill two deer together right before dark. I had about a 1/4 mile uphill drag for each deer.
The next day I started building a cart like the one in this picture I found on the Web.
In my opinion, this is the best kind. It pops right over down logs and you can pull it up a creek bank if you need to. Once you get to the truck, set the handles on the bed, pick up the wheel and slide in deer and cart.
I used one of the two wheeled ones and to me it was as bad as dragging.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Frank,
That's a dandy. Any chance of a non-loaded pic? some dimensions? What angle is that down by the wheel?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I have only use a 2 wheel cart in the woods, but I have plenty of wheel barrow experience growing up on the farm. I can tell you for curtain that your arms will take a beating on a long haul. With the wheel barrow type all the weight is carried on your arms. A 2 wheel cart can be balanced so the cart carry's the weight.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I have one, which I've used in Montana as well as in Illinois. I purchased mine through Cabaela, the Cabelas Super Mag Deer Hauler. I made sure the style I purchased had solid tires.

Once when I borrowed a friend's cart with pneumatic tires to get my buck out of the river bottoms, I got a flat tire. That immediately sold me on purchasing one with solid tires.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Correction: I actually used it in South Dakota and Illinois. Not that it really matters where, just correcting my mistake. They work great most anywhere.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©