3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Playing Hurt and Good Friends  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Playing Hurt and Good Friends
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
After being laid up with an injured left shoulder, elbow and neck from a horse wreck last year and missing nearly the entire season I was really looking forward to this fall.  Fast forward to late August this year, I'm being real careful with bow season only a week away then another mishap in a stock trailer resulting in two more broken ribs and I was one sick and aggravated bowhunter.  I couldn't pull my bow and knew there was no way of running up mountains, hanging stands or hauling a critter out of the brush.  I was resigned to a few weeks of watching the season slide slowly by again till my good friend Tom told me he had a spot for me with a stand already hanging if I could get into it.  It didn't take much time to decide I'd rather be watching from a tree stand than sitting at home so I took him up on it.  

Opening morning found me seeing numerous deer traveling from a night in the alfalfa fields to their bedding areas.  I wasn't ready to shoot a buck unless he was a thumper and all the does seemed to have little spotted fawns in tow so I just enjoyed the show and let 15 deer pass unharmed.  By 8:30 am it was warming up and I hadn't seen anything for a while figuring it was about over for the morning.  Then I hear something right behind my tree and out steps a big old doe with a yearling behind her.  Perfect if I could get my bow back.  She cooperated beautifully by stepping right under me and sniffing my pull rope.  I picked out a hair in the center of her back just behind her shoulder blades, leaned over drew back about half draw and let go.  The old girl went down like a sack of potatoes directly under the stand.  Another arrow behind the shoulder and it was over in seconds.  The Arrow Dynamics shaft with 285 grains of razor sharp Grizzly up front had penetrated the spine and went to the breast bone, not bad for half draw...  It wasn't long before Tom came by on his way out, together we field dressed the doe and he drug her a quarter mile to the truck for me.  I was a happy camper!

A few days later Duane, another good friend called telling me he had a been watching a group of elk and had them patterned pretty well. He thought we could maybe get something killed without having to kill ourselves in the mountains.  Sounded like another no-brainer to me.

I had been working on pulling my bow even trying a little 40#er but I couldn't tell much difference in the “hurt” of the 40 over my 60# Whip.  I can tell you it's easier shooting with broken ribs than a messed up shoulder.  After a while I figured I had one or two shots in me at full draw if I had a good dose of Tylenol before heading out.  The deep breathing was definitely a no no though, it'd be slow and easy up the mountain...  Come last Friday morning Duane and I slowly worked our way up the slope to where the elk had been passing thru heading to their daytime beds.  We had no more than topped the hill when we heard a couple of bulls sparring below us.  Probably due to the heat and drought we'd been having there hadn't really been much rutting action around here yet but the bulls were certainly thinking about it.  Duane showed me the trail so I backed in under a fir tree a dozen yards below the trail and waited.  Duane slipped back up over the crest of the hill to make such his wind was good and occasionally let out a soft cow call.  

A short thirty minutes later while still listening to the sparring bulls I look up above the trail where I was expecting the elk and 35 yards away out steps a cow followed by a half dozen more head.  The cagey old lead cow looks down in my direction and is real suspicious for some reason.  I know she hasn't smelled me or spotted me but she knows something isn't right.  After several minutes of intense staring she finally walks on over the hill taking all those other eyes with her.  I figured more elk might follow her path and would probably be too far out for me to shoot.  I grabbed one arrow from my quiver laying on the ground, ran up the slope a dozen yards and dove in behind a 4' tall fir tree.  I hadn't been there two seconds when out steps a nice bull.  Now I'd already decided that with the weather, my injuries and such I was shooting the first elk that gave me a decent opportunity.  I hardly looked at the horns before raising my bow and starting the draw.  The shot was uphill at a 60 or so degree angle and 25 yards which was certainly beyond my comfort range but as I reached full draw it just felt right.  There was a perfect dark crease tight behind his shoulder which naturally drew my eye.  Without thinking and no pain by the way the arrow was away.  Just at the release he started to step away toward the ridge.  The arrow hit just where I was looking but the quartering angle was quite a bit steeper than I'd wanted almost looking like the arrow had run up behind the shoulder instead into the chest cavity.  

The bull went running over the hill toward where the cows had gone then Duane who'd witnessed the whole event let go a couple cow calls stopping him out in the open.  Duane said he could see quite a bit of blood running down the bulls leg but not a lot of penetration.  He said he was pretty confident I'd gotten in the goodies but just wasn't sure how deep.  I got up top just in time to see the bulls antler tips disappear over the hill.  To be on the safe side we backed out for a couple hours to give him plenty of time to bed.  We took up the blood trail and my spirits rose considerably when I saw the amount of blood some of it with plenty of red foam in it.  Most elk I've killed if hit right have only gone a short distance before going down so when the trail stretched out to a hundred yards and the blood seemed to be thinning my hopes started to sag again.  Another 40 yards and the trail started to “weave” and I was feeling better again.  Another 40 yards and Duane spotted the bulls dark brown hide back under the thick fir trees.  Believe me we were a couple of happy bowhunters, one of the best parts was we were able to drive Duane's tractor thru the trees right to the bull.  

Turns out I had entered the chest cavity and what appeared to be short penetration was the arrow “bouncing” back off the far shoulder or something.  There was a little damage to the lungs but mostly the lethality was from taking some of the plumbing off the top of the heart.  I'm still amazed this bull went as far as he did but they are big tough animals.  

Finally I can't say enough how much I appreciate having buddies like these and many others who have helped or I've gotten to help out over the years.  That's what it's all about Gang.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed reliving our hunts with me.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Playing Hurt and Good Friends
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  

Excellent season Doug!  Good friends, good shots, good meat...don't get much better than that!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Good Job! One of these days I will get to meet you Doug!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
great job Doug !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
Great job, Doug.  Those broken ribs are no fun at all.  Sounds like you have some great friends, and I am sure that they feel the same way about you.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
Congrats!! You earned the success you are enjoying this season. Keep em comin!!

Chris

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
very cool and inspirational.  I'm fighting through a blown disc and it's really limited my ability to get around but seeing you with a couple fine animals helps renew my faith.  Great job and congratulations!
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »
Really good friends. You dug pretty deep as well.
Looks like a pretty good season, after all. Never give up, that's the way to do it.
Congrats to all three of you.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Wow, very nice. Great story as well  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »
Congratulations on two fine animals.I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »
Congrats Doug, To you and your pals.
Nothing better than a good friend and a good hunt.

Now get yourself healed up.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
Awesome! Great shooting Doug
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
Way to go Doug!

Congrats! Great to have friends like that.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Congratulations Doug! What terrific hunts and trophies. Thank you for sharing. Now take care of those ribs and enjoy the fine table fare.    :clapper:
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Good Friends....Good Hunting....Congrats..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rugrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Congrats on your success!   :thumbsup:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Good things happen to good people!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Theres nothing as healing as being in the woods.
Slickhead

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Congrats,nice doe,bull and good friends.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Way to go.. .Those critters better watch out when your healed up....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©