3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string problems  (Read 360 times)

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
string problems
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Hey fellow tradgangers, hoping you guys could provide me with a solution to a string problem.

-I just put a new FF string on my recurve with beaver balls. I've about found the perfect brace height, but I have not shot the bow much.  My problem is that this string is way louder than it should be. Any suggestions on what I should do?  

thanks,
AJ

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
pad the limb pockets, put some moleskin under the string grooves to prevent limb slap. maybe try and raise the bh just a tad and see what happens.  shoot a heavier arrow
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
thanks for the info Tom. I raised the bh, but no luck.

I think the problem is the string it's self.  I have 2 identical bows.  My older sting is perfectly quitet on both bows.  The new string is really loud on both bows.  What could be wrong with the string.  Should I try something other than beaver balls?  Could the flaw be in the craftsmenship of the string?

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
AJ

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
you said it was ff but do you know what material its actually made of? I think theres a few different types of ff material these days. I have some in the back but its been so many years since I made a string I dont even remember what I have. lol  you might wanna try a b 50 dacron string and just see if theres much of a difference. if its much quieter and only a few fps slower, Id say thats a great trade off. a deer wont know if your shooting 155 or 160. he'll be just as dead as long as you put that broadhead where its supposed to go.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I find that rubber cat whiskers quiet my bows the best.  You may want to try it and see if it will help you.  Inexpensive too.

Good luck.
Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
I seem to have found the solution. I tried each musk ok, buffalo, and trantulas.  All 3 were much quieter on the string compared to the beaver balls.  I guess maybe I just needed something heavier.

AJ

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Sometimes the tanned hides have a harder finish on the skin that vibrates on the string. I sent you a pm.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Moon:
I find that rubber cat whiskers quiet my bows the best.  You may want to try it and see if it will help you.  Inexpensive too.

Good luck.
X2
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
Cat whiskers tied on around the string so they can be moved to find where they work best.  Shoot the bow without silencers to find the optimum brace height (quietest and least vibration), add silencers and move them 1" or less up or down the string until you find the correct spot for them.

Nock fit, arrow weight, arrow spine, your release, etc. etc. etc. also make a difference.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
One question I have is where did you place the beaver fur silencers?  Are they the same on both strings?

Also, I've heard people say that large string loops are noiser than smaller ones, although I haven't experienced this myself.  Does the new string have larger loops?
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I am just saying here, but i would assume there is a mechenical problem somewhere.  If I have my brace height tweaked just right, 10ish gpp, and the arrow is tuned properly, I can use almost anything for silencers and my bow is whisper quiet.

If you changed string material, you nocks could be too loose or tight causing it to not come off the string properly. could be that you were marginally tuned before and now need to adjust a bit on your arrow.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
I just had a PM conversation with Chad (LBR) who told me some stings need to be "shot in" before they quiet down. In any event try Terry's Bow Hush and Hush Puppies. It really works very well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
AJ lot of good advise from fellow TG's there, just wanted to mention that I just got a couple of Longbow strings from SBD strings and they are super super quiet Old strings were D97 not sure what he used to make these ones.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Silence is golden, I would much rather have a slower quite bow with B-50 dacron than a noisey fastflight string, sound is very fast and 10 to 15 fps second you gain with fast flight sometimes just isnt worth the trouble. Fast flight is fine if your bow isnt noisey.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
I replaced the B-50 string on my recurve with an SBD string and it was actually quieter. The SBD D-10 string has cushioning "recurve wraps" at the tips that really stops the string slap where it contacts the limbs.

My B-50 string was not wrapped at the tips, so maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I definitely have a quieter bow now than before.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
I have found fastflight to be MUCH quieter than B50 on all of my bows.
BCD

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Tuning, nock fit, arrow weight, arrow spine, your release, etc. all play a part in a quiet shot--generally moreso than the material used in the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©