3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions needed....which meat grinder?  (Read 668 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions needed....which meat grinder?
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm gona purchase a new meat grinder in the next few weeks. I grind most of the deer into burger and make steaks out of the rest so no need for anything fancy.

Many of the reviews I've read on Amazon and Cabelas claim that most of these grinders are hunks of junk. They clog easily, have too many plastic parts that fail, hard to clean, or only work few times then quit.

Can anybody provide a good recommendation?  I don't wana break the bank, but I don't mind spending the money if it's a quality product that'll last.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions needed....which meat grinder?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I've had one of the Cabela's 1hp grinder for years and it has served me great.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I own a share of 2 Cabelas grinders.  A 1hp and a 1 1/2hp.  Both do an excellent job!  That 1hp ground 2 bison in an afternoon and had no trouble.  The 1 1/2 grinds 2-300 lbs of deer meat every season.  Never a lick of trouble from either grinder!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Most don't grind semi-frozen meat, warm fat clogs grinders and when it's cold, they work well. You can even get buy with a kitchen aid mixer attachment but the cabelas ones get good reviews.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
It is unconventional, but go with a Northern Tool Company Stainless Meat Grinder.

Has great reviews and I have pushed EVERYTHING through it with no problems.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
My wife picked me up a 1950's oster meat grinder and it works awesome. was 40 bucks at a new uses store. motor smells bad but other than that it's great.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I have burned up or stripped the gears on a few. I have been using a 70's model Oster mixer with the grinder attachment for the last few years. Works great.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
What price range are yall buying?  The $100 rig or the $300-$500 rig?

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I just ordered the LEM #8 - 0.35 hp off Amazon for $280-something.  There are literally hundreds of positive reviews on the Cabela's grinders so I have no doubt they're good, but they went up on their prices in the last year and they're now quite a bit more than LEM.  I've found nothing but positive reviews on the LEM grinders also and I've even read (on the internet, of course) that LEM horsepower ratings are more realistic than Cabela's.  You can read all sorts of things on the internet though.    ;)
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
As to your last question, I've done a fair amount of research before buying the LEM and it seems like anything you buy for much less than $250 is probably going to have plastic somewhere in the gear system, so you can pay less and buy it a few times or pay more and buy it once...my 2 cents.  I'm the biggest of cheapskates, so it pained me to shell out even $280 but I believe it will last me many, many years.
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I have Gander Mountain's version, the 1hp and it has been fantastic.  Between me and a buddy, it typically grinds the burger from 4 or 5 deer per year and it never gives us any issues.  I don't think I'd want anything less than a 1hp though.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Watched the neighbor's gang grinding meat with the older style grinder (you know the kind grandma had), and big motor.... Wasnt long before they ground a two finger sandwich....On the left hand of the manual stuffer....They had to stop for a trip to the ER and a clean out session,,, too bad they wasted a bit of sausage on fingers....
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Just ground the hamburger scraps from 3 elk tonight - 90-100 lbs. in about an hour and stuffed into 1 lb. burger bags with the sausage stuffer nozzle.  Grinder is an old Hobart, don't know the motor hp but it weighs 135 lbs.  

Beware of any grinders with plastic parts.  Burned up a couple drive trains on Oster kitchen Center grinder attachments over the years.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
I've got the smaller cabelas which is either .5 or 1hp and it's done a bunch of elk and deer.  It depends on how much your running through it on what your going to need.  Mine was about 100.00 four or five years ago.  I have access to a full blown meat room with industrial equipment but my little grinder has handled everything I've asked it to so far.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
TX AG

I bought this one five years ago and have ground many deer and hogs.  Makes sausage too.  I like making fresh pork sausage out of a kill.   It sometimes runs on sale for $99.  I looked it up tonight and it is still $99.  It doesn't blink and will process some meat.  Small grinders bog down.  Turned an ole boy down here in LA on to one last year on Bayou Bucks and he loves  it.

I have loaned it out and almost everyone that borrowed it buys one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267  

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
Some of the older Cabelas grinders were made in Italy. The new Cabelas grinders are made in China. Big diffrence in quality.

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
I have that same model from Northern Tool and it works great!

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
I settled on the Cabelas 1 hp grinder this year.  My brother has one, and a good friend of mine has one.  They both swear by them and between the two of them, probably grind 20 deer/elk a year for themselves and friends.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
I have owned a Cabelas 1hp for several years. It has done several dozen deer with not issues. Very good product

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
I have the same Northern Tool grinder mentioned here, have had it 4 years. I have ground up 3 elk, and about 50 deer, with zero issues. Because the spout opening is small, you have to cut it into smaller pieces. Close to frozen cold meat process's much better, as mentioned. Another great place to buy the poly bags, which I stuff with the nozzle that comes with this grinder, is The HOmeProcessor.com. He has good deals on all great quallity items, including summer sausage products. He has heavy duty grinders, cheaper than the same thing on Cabelas.
samuel koger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©