3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Muzzy Phantoms  (Read 419 times)

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Muzzy Phantoms
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I must have the toughest arm hair on the planet. I've tried everything from files, stones, ceramics, to the Muzzy carbide sharpener to get these heads sharp and nothing seems to work. I've used medium to very light pressure to where I almost put myself in a trance and still can't get a hunting edge. I can shave hair with my Gerber knife after using the Muzzy sharpener on it, but not the Phantoms. I'm gettin really frustrated with these heads so any suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless, Steve
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Muzzy Phantoms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I use the phantoms and i use the KME knife sharpener to sharpen them, it's worth its weight in gold. works like a charm and will have your arm smooth as baby's bottom in no time
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I use the phantoms and i use the KME knife sharpener to sharpen them, it's worth its weight in gold. works like a charm and will have your arm smooth as baby's bottom in no time
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I can't sharpen my muzzy phantoms worth a darn either.. I have tried everything as well INCLUDING a KME..

I am 100% positive it is operator error.

Kamm could you please take us through a step by step on how you sharpen yours and save us some serious money =)
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kamm1004:
I dont have a KME and right now I'm pretty much budgeted out as far as bowhunting goes this year. Any other tricks to get these rascals sharp?
God Bless, Steve
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Just a thought bu maybe take a door stop and try and use it as you would a KME, or Accusharp. I have Zwickey and accu sharp works wonders.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Phantoms have a slightly steeper angle then most blades typically around 30 degrees so you need to make sure to adjust for that angle.  Use a marker to touch up the blade edges and see where you are removing metal then adjust your angle for this and you should not have any problems with them.  The carbide sharpeners can be adjusted to hit this angle better as well and be sure to clean out the space between the cutters to keep any chips or slivers from the cutters.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by mark land:
Phantoms have a slightly steeper angle then most blades typically around 30 degrees so you need to make sure to adjust for that angle.  Use a marker to touch up the blade edges and see where you are removing metal then adjust your angle for this and you should not have any problems with them.  The carbide sharpeners can be adjusted to hit this angle better as well and be sure to clean out the space between the cutters to keep any chips or slivers from the cutters.
Mark, I have an older Lansky sharpener. Would that work if I used the 30 degree slot for the rod? Also, at what angle do you hold the Muzzy sharpener? I've been trying to get just he front edge of the carbide blades on the head. Is this correct? Thanks for the help. God Bless, Steve

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I sharpen mine on a stone, the same as my knife. They come with very precise edges and I have found them to be pretty easy to resharpen. I think you may have altered the edge with the carbibe sharpener. I would just put it in your Lansky and keep cutting until you have established a new bevel. That should be like starting fresh.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I use the alasken bowhunting sharpening system,in 2 minutes it is a razor.It costs a little bit for the bench grinder and wheels but its worth it in the end.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Caleb Andes:
I can't sharpen my muzzy phantoms worth a darn either.. I have tried everything as well INCLUDING a KME..

I am 100% positive it is operator error.

Kamm could you please take us through a step by step on how you sharpen yours and save us some serious money =)
[/QUOTE

Its fairly simple. First, use a shapie and color the entire edge. Then start with what looks to be a close angle by just eye balling it. Then adjust as necessary when you see how much marker is being removed until its cleanly removing all the marker. then I just start with the rougher, faster cutting stones and work to the smooth polishing stones. the trick is working a bevel to one side, then flipping it and removing the bevel or putting it to the other side. repeat this as you progress to smoother stones until there is no bevel left and i gurantee it'll be shaving sharp. Look on youtube for help with the KME if you need to. Also, i would imagine the lansky wouuld work good also if you can keep the angle consistat.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
A lansky will work well. Use a sharpie on the blade to find the angle. Sharpen until u raise a burr then strop.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I gave up on them as I can't get the dang bleeder blades removed.  They come with instructions, but darned if I can get the bleeders off.  I am afraid I will end up cutting a finger off or something!  I have a supply of Muzzy Phantom's that I can't use unless I figure out how to SAFELY remove the bleeder blade to facilitate the sharpening process.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
in my last post i said bevel when i should've said burr. My bad. Work the burr to one side then flip it and work it until there is no burr.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
From one TN Vol to another.... they don't call us Vols for nuthin ! Please send them to me and I would be honored to sharpen them for you THIS time. I have run out of stuff to sharpen around here with my KME knife sharpener and I was thinking about trying my lawn mower blade next, haha !!!

When you get them back you will be so happy with them you will buy a KME knife sharpener for next year, I promise !!! How is that for an offer bud ? If you are interested then PM me and I will send you my address.   :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
The bleeders come off by pulling them back and pushing them forward at a angle.The main blade comes off also,use set of pliers to pull back off the blade out of slot.I take both blades off ferule and sharpen same as a knife blade.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
Send them to NoCams!!!! Sounds like a great offer and he's probably right about a KME in your future once you see how sharp they get stuff.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Here's a link to a neet little gadget that has worked for me since it first came out in the 60's. The Arrowhead guide is simple and very effective. Charlie knows...ask him.

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/products/guides
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
i use paper wheels on a grinder 2 mins or less and youll be able too shave your chin whiskers...
i like biscuits

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Accusharp for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©