3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman  (Read 1501 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi gang.  I am really frusterated trying to sharpen the Wenssel Woodsman Bh.....  

I have a bastard file and use it from heel to front

Then I go to the montec diamond stone 600 then finish with the 1200 easy strokes.

I then go to a leather stop with compound on it

then flip to the smooth side and finish there..

Still teh Broadhead isn't getting all that sharp.. What am i missing?  

Talk to my folks. Talk to me....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Forget the file if they are good heads without damage.  The 30 degree angle of the blade will not have the same feel of sharpness as a 12 degree of a knife.  You are getting a perfect angle everytime you sharpen if you use equal down pressure.  Use a Sharpie to check for total coverage.  It took 20 years to learn this.  Do not over work your head.
capt eddie

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
So how do I know when is "Sharp Enough" ????
Blessings,
Steve

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I can get mine shaving sharp with just the file.  If you haven't watched Charlie Lamb's video clip in members videos on how he sharpens them, you need to.  Following the video I can easily shave the hair off my arm, even without going to the stone.  Use a sharpie and once you get full coverage, verrry lightly do each side a few times and you will be amazed at how sharp they get.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
I sharpen my Woodsman's until they shave hair off of my forearm. I have had no trouble sharpening the Woodsman's, I have always followed the instructions on the Wensel's Website. You can find the instructions   here.  

The Woodsman's are my favorite broadheads!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Have you looked at the three videos on this link to sharpen the WW broadhead?

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000047;p=0
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
I'm not impreesed with the woodsmans I got from 3 rivers. I have 3 complaints.
1. They're the loudest head I've ever used. I think a deer could hear them as soon as they leave the bow.
2. I bought the screw in model and out of the 12 heads only 2 have no wobble when I spin checked them. I tried to heat them up and spin them on the adapter to get some wobble out but they won't spin, must be epoxied on.
3. It's probably because of them not being mounted correctly on the adapter but they don't group up at all. I just don't have any faith in them at all. With hunting season starting next Sat. I think I'm outta luck. Any tips would be much appreciated. Mike

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Mikecc,

I buy mine without the adapter installed, that way I have control over attaching the adapter and getting good alignment... and I like to glue the 125 grain steel adapters in there.

As for the noise, I have not had a problem with mine being noisy. Maybe you just got a bad batch? I would return them and exchange them or get a new brand if you are not going to feel comfortable.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
I always put adapters in myself as Kevin said.I usually shoot bigger heads than the woodsman but due to a shoulder injury a few years ago I hunted with them with a 48 lb longbow. I can`t remember but it was either 13 or 15 deer and hogs I killed with a single woodsman.I file sharpened them and that was it. Sometimes people file sharpen heads with a wore out file and naturaly don`t get good results, not saying this is your case but thought I would mention that. The woodsman is a fine head and will out penatrate most.RC

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I watched the videos about sharpening the Wenssel Woodsman.  What kind of file Was he using?
Also what type of stone and honeing oil was it?

Thanks.
Blessings,
Steve

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Mike- If they don't spin correcty, you don't have to heat them, just apply pressure and you can get them straight. If you really don't like them, let me know if you're intersted in selling. Mine fly better than any broadhead I have ever shot. I have never experienced any noise from them whatsoever.

BD
BD

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Charlie will have great instructions on sharpening the WW/Snuffer heads on the DVD Terry is producing, as well as instructions for sharpening 2 blade and 4 blade heads.
Tom Mussatto

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 01:37:00 AM »
I have been very unhappy with mine as well.  I have watched the videos and thought it would be no problem getting them sharp.  I spent 2 hours on 1 head just getting it even on a brand new file.  I used the marker and followed the above mentioned instructions.  After 3 heads my file was nearly worn out.  (it was a brand new Nicholson). The heads were "wavy" and had sort of a curve or concavity to them.  Some had big globs of solder on one side or the other.

I finally got 6 sharp, but I didn't have a week to spend on the other 6.  I sent them back to 3Rivers and they were going to send me the new version that were supposed to be sharp already.  That was in Nov 06 and I still don't have any replacement heads.

I want to use WW heads, but it looks like I'll be using something else instead.  My new heads won't be here for hunting season this year, and I'm ready to give up on them all together.  Looks like I'll be buying some snuffers.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
I find them ono of the easiest to sharpen.The key is to use very light strokes with the file once you have them flat.I stick mine in a vice and hit them with a file 3 or 4 times turning as I go.I then use a ceramic rod on each edge like you would a knife edge instead of doing two blades.No more than 5 minuites and they will pop a few hairs and cut a rubber band easy.Really cutting the rubber band is all I am looking for with them because with the size and shape that is plenty sharp. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
I was once "Wensel Woodsman Sharpening Challenged" too. However, after following Charlie's how-to exactly step by step, they have become one of my favorite heads. While they may not get as sharp as a 2 blade head, it's pretty darn close...and with just the file I can get the edge on the WW simply wicked. And it is probably the simplest to sharpen once you get the hang of it.

Magic marker the edge bevel to make sure you are getting the surface cut level. Yes, there is some warpage in the blade during the welding process but the file work will even it out perfectly. In my experience, one of the keys is to take the same strokes each side....not working down one side at a time. If you get two perfectly flat and one still has dips etc., keep rotating working all three sides equally. One or two strokes at most per side before rotating.

Even pressure is another key, it's easier to put too much pressure on the back of the blade as you drag it rearward...you have to work at getting the feel of keeping the pressure even.

Progressivly lighter strokes...Once the surfaces are all bright and shiny with all magic marker gone, each blade rotation I make lighter and lighter strokes. Until I am just pushing the weight of the head, rotating each stroke, for about 10 strokes per side for the finish. If you want, you can run it across some other stone or croc stick or whatever, but you won't believe how darn sharp they will get just pulling them across a file.

If you still can't get it with a file, try a belt sander. Terry does his this way and they come out as good as any method I've seen.

Still having problems, send me one you're having trouble with and I'll video what I do to get that particular one sharp. Truly, these are one of the easiest heads to sharpen there is.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
No other broadhead gets as much "how do you sharpen them?" attention.

Frankly, I just don't see the attraction to the WW. A difficult to sharpen wedge shaped design, a tip that needs snipping to prevent damage...sorry, in my opinion it's a poorly designed head.

I will take a 2 blade Magnus head over a WW any day.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I prefer Magnus or Zwickey.  They have been around for some time.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
I agree with roknjs about the "Wavy" part.All six of mine came from 3 rivers as a Christmas gift and I tried to hone this out by dragging it on my diamond hone sharpener with no luck.If you put them on a flat surface and look at the edge you can really see where it looks as if they were ground or sanded to much about an inch at the back section of the head.I had no problems sharpening them but just couldn't get the curve out.Keefers <")))><

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
I'm thinking about going with the "NAP Hell Razor"  

I don't mind sharpening a head, but I must be doing something wrong. I have folled the instructions to a tee and still a head that feels , "Less than sharp"....  If I bear down hard enough on my arm, it will take some hair off, but I want it SHARP.
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
I use a table belt sander ,(fine grit belt and very lite pressure )followed by a fine diamond pad . In minutes they are shaving sharp. I have always use the glue on with steel adapters. They fly true and no noise in flight.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©