3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman  (Read 1500 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2007, 03:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:
So help me understand this.  I don't understand buying a product like a broadhead then having to machine the heck out of it to get it to a point where it should have been when I opened the pack.  It is ok if they aren't sharp, yet they should be ready to sharpen.   To me, that is a poor product and who trusts poor products when you need it most.
- Dave
I think that the fact is; all fixed blade, cut on contact broadheads (with one or two noteable exceptions) are mass produced in this way. I would bet you'll find that nearly all of then have some blade deviation due to the uneven heat applied during the welding process. It's just that it becomes more apparrent on the Wensels & Snuffers due to the way they are sharpened. When you sharpena 2-blade head, you're not comparing one edge to another, or even both sides of the same edge. If one side is slightly concave & the other convex you would be hard presses to notice, but because you're moving metal on 2 grinds of a 6-grind, 3 blade head you're always going to compare one side to the other & therefore imperfections become obvious.
If you're having that much trouble getting them sharp, might I suggest just watching Charlies tutorial or reading Terry's advice& following it to the letter Once you've had them sharp once (5 minutes per head max, if you follow the instructions) re-touching is a 30 second job & it's a good enough head to warrant the time & effort.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline citori

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frusterated with the Wenssel Woodsman
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I must be the only on that uses the "snuffer" true angle file kit to sharpen my WW?????  It is the one with two nicholson files at an angle....this changes the angle on the WW so that it is sharper(knife like) and not so blunt (hatchet like).  It also has a small leather strop block in the kit that is set at the same angle.  There are 5 guys I hunt with that use this sharpening kit with both WW, snuffers, and other cut on contact 3 blades.  IT WORKS GREAT.....after ya get the blades all even and the angle changed....and yes they will shave.

Yes....it is some work, but if we wanted it easy would we be shooting traditional gear????????

thanks
citori

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©