3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about draw weight for our...archery elders.  (Read 510 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Question about draw weight for our...archery elders.
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm almost 37.
Little bigger than average build.
I've found that I like shooting 45# bows.

Lots of guys my age and build shoot quite a bit more # draw.

I'm worried that as I get older I might feel the need of dropping draw weight.
Right now, I don't have too far to drop and still have effective draw weight.

So here's my question to those of you that have been doing this for long enough to experience what I'm worried about...

If you could do it over again, would you spend time working your draw weight up as high as possible so you have effective weights to drop down too.

...or just shoot 45# or so and save your body/joints the beating that working up to and shooting high draw weights causes.

Maybe if I stay with 45# I won't have to go down..?

What do you think?

Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about draw weight for our...archery elders.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Your 37... you've got forever until you need to worry about dropping bow weight. and besides that 45# will last a life time.  and it will kill anything in the USA. (maybe not moose/Kodiak).
Joe   a 61  year old geezer dude
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Stay with 45 pounds and save your joints for later.  Besides, you probably already have enough bow to kill any game animal in North America.  If one day you decide to hunt Africa build up your draw weight by exercising and lifting weights.  You're a young guy so don't sweat the little stuff.

Good luck.
Moon

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
stay active.  if you don't use it; you lose it.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
I agree, just stay fit and shoot often.  I am 47 years old, not young, but not old either.  I am 6'4" and 220 pounds.  I lift weigts and stay fit.  I shoot most of my bows in the mid to low 50 pound range.  It is plenty for deer, 99% of what I am hunting.  Shooting 45 ... you should be fine.

I have shoulder and elbow issues, but staying fit and shooting this poundage seems to be fine for me.  Staying fit I think is the real key.  Heck, I ran the "tough mudder" last Sunday and have shot my bow everyday this week.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
The ignornace to shoulder injuries knows no bounds. Age and/or overall physical condition has nothing to do with muscle or tendon injury.

One 3mm bone spur tearing away at a rotator cuff can take the 6'6" 300lbs shooter who once shot 100lbs down to struggling to draw 45lbs in no time.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I started shooting when dinosaurs were still around. 40 to 45 pounds was the average hunting bow. If you were gonna go for elk some would move up to 50 lb. A good cut on impact broadhead and 10grains per pound and your bow will handle just about anything in North America. I think the move to heavier weights came when compound users moved to recurves and longbows thinking they had to bring high poundage with them. JMHO

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
64 here, 160 pounds soak an wet, and I shoot 45 pounds. Can shoot 50 pounds but 45 is plenty.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
I'm 60 years OLD, 6'1" and 185 pounds. I normally shoot bows in the mid-50s, but when I go after buffalo, I increase the weight to 70#. I rarely shoot as low as 45# and see no reason to go that low unless I am shooting hundreds of arrows a day. I have shot trad bows for 55 years and don't think my body and joints are worse off when I keep the draw weights around 55# on a regular basis. There's very little I can't effectively kill with bows that weight. At 45# I think I am marginal for a number of North American animals, so I don't hunt that light. If you only shoot lighter bows, medium poundage bows can feel really heavy. Gotta keep those muscles and connective tissues strong! That said, even a 70# bow makes my shoulder hurt when I shoot the bow a lot. But I've injured that shoulder repeatedly in skiing and bicycling crashes over the years and had it surgically repaired, so it's subject to pain with stress anyway.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Work up gradually to a heavier weight: 55 at least.  Emphasis on gradually !  Practice year-round (read that one again !).  Cross train: free wieghts, rows, flys, pull-downs.  Lose wieght if you need to (the older you are, the harder it gets).  Get a TD bow you love, stick with it, and acculmulate multiple limb weights so you can go up and down in practice as well as for species.  My 2 cents, and I'm 60 and been shooting mostly trad about 35 years.
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
The good news is you are still young. There is a lot you can do to keep strong. Think of archery like any other sport and find out what other kinds of things you can do to keep strong other than just shooting a bow. Athletes in other sports cross train and do strength training to keep fit. In fact, most guys I know that have had to go down in weight have done so due to injuries and not weakness. I suspect  you could go up to 50 or 55# and be fine. I'm 68,  have had two major shoulder surgeries and still am shooting 58-60#. With the advancements in todays equipment my wife's 45# DAS bow shoots as well as my old 55# Groves and
 she only draws 26".  I know that when I haven't worked out for a while, my upper back and shoulders, in particular, get noticeably weaker and my shooting suffers. Keep fit, don't overbow yourself and do the exercises that will minimize injuries and you'll be fine.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Thank you for the insightful replies Gentlemen.
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I would not worry too much at 37 about having to drop bow weight "as you get older". I will soon be 67 and my bows range from 52 to 58 lbs. I have zero physical issues from shooting them and believe if you shoot regularly and take reasonable care of yourself you should be able to maintain whatever weight you shoot comfortably for a long time.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Traditional Archery, shooting a recurve or longbow, is a skill that requires physical training, just like any other martial art. Shoot what you like, but 45 is too light for big game, in my opinion.Unless you are injured or required surgery, then at least be strong enough to handle a 50 pound bow.

Traditional archery is not supposed to be easy.People who dont have the motivation to train can always shoot a compound.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
I'm 60, I shoot 70-80# bows all day long.  I'm 5'8" & weigh in at 150#.  I know I will probably have to go down in weight someday but I'll wait until I get old to worry about it.  There isn't a man alive that couldn't shoot in the 60# range with little or no effort but the key word is effort.  Do you "need" more weight??? Who am I to say but I like heavy arrows going at maximum speed.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
I am 62 years old,6'1" and 260. I shoot 64-55# bows regularly, I can pull and hold up to 80# but do not shoot that weight simply because there is no need unless I am hunting water buff and probably will never do that, although when I was younger I shot 72# regularly. I have no shoulder problems and stay as fit as I can, shoot what is comfortable for you.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
I shoot upper 60's and lower 70's in bow weight.  I am not old.  Actually a couple years younger that you.  I have been shooting the same weight in sticks for about 10 years. I shot 60 at 14 years old with a wheelie bow, then moved up to 75 for about 6 years.  

The only problem I have is caused by not working out.  When I stop working out my back starts to get sore after shooting. It is caused from shooting and working my right side pulling the bow and nothing for my left.  I started working out and that problem disapeared.  

That being said, some folks are more prone to injury.  I am not a big guy, 6' and 190#, but I have a farm and work on it after I finish my time clock job.  The key, i think, is staying active, healthy, and consistant.  Also, thank the Good Lord for the strength and health He gives.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by duncan idaho:
Traditional Archery, shooting a recurve or longbow, is a skill that requires physical training, just like any other martial art. Shoot what you like, but 45 is too light for big game, in my opinion.Unless you are injured or required surgery, then at least be strong enough to handle a 50 pound bow.

Traditional archery is not supposed to be easy.People who dont have the motivation to train can always shoot a compound.
Hmmmm, back when I got into archery (about 50+ years ago) most everybody hunted with and effectively killed big game with bows in the 42-45# range.  They would be interested in the idea that it wasn't enough.   ;)   Howard Hill shot heavy bows, we all know that, but he also said that a 45# bow (and if memory serves me--dpubtful at my age--I believe he actually said 40#) shooting arrows of at least 450 grains would take any animal in North America.  I think I would go with his opinion until somebody with a higher body count proves otherwise. I used to shoot bows in the 50-58# range but mt body, at 69 years old, tells me it would much rather I shoot bows in the mid-40s.  I have excellent results with them on deer, bears, and feral hogs.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Hmmmm, back when I got into archery (about 50+ years ago) most everybody hunted with and effectively killed big game with bows in the 42-45# range. They would be interested in the idea that it wasn't enough.  Howard Hill shot heavy bows, we all know that, but he also said that a 45# bow (and if memory serves me--dpubtful at my age--I believe he actually said 40#) shooting arrows of at least 450 grains would take any animal in North America. I think I would go with his opinion until somebody with a higher body count proves otherwise. I used to shoot bows in the 50-58# range but mt body, at 69 years old, tells me it would much rather I shoot bows in the mid-40s. I have excellent results with them on deer, bears, and feral hogs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I stated, it was my opinion, I dont claim to be a authority like Hill or Bear and will never come close to their records. My point is: if you choose to shoot traditional, then put in the work it takes to shoot a traditional bow. one of the constant themes of discussion here is "Whats the least amount of weight I can shoot and kill something?" if that is someone's main goal, then shoot a compound.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
A compound is actually harder on my shoulders than a traditional bow.  I don't know about others, but it is true with me.  That is because the heavy part of the draw before break over is way up front before back muscles are engaged fully.  Back when I was undergoing treatment for a bad shoulder, I tried a compound thinking it would indeed be easier--it wasn't, and besides, I can't bring myself to go that route.

By the way, I do put in the work to shoot trad gear and have for 50 years! I just hate to see the attitude that says what has worked so well for so many years isn't adequate.  I realize that you said it was your opinion, Duncan, but it still suggests that it isn't really adequate, and my point is that years and years of success prove that 45# is adequate for most American big game.

By the way, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service in Iraq!  A tip of the camo cap to you, sir!    :wavey:        :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©