3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Wyoming High Country Elk 2012 Edition  (Read 1637 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Wyoming High Country Elk 2012 Edition
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
The next few days brought many close calls but never could make the connection.  The bugling started out strong and tapered down fast as the week progressed.  I put on 10-25 miles a day.  One morning I was with Wayne and we had a bull bugling right above us.  We set up and made our approach. Just as we closed in on the bugling bull a five point cut us off and halted our stalk.  I passed the opportunity on the smaller bull as I was sure the lager bull would soon show himself.  As time ticked on the 5 point wised up and barked.  All elk hunters know the dreaded bark and all was done.  

That night I covered some new area and also developed a lot of pain in my Achilles tendon on my left leg.  I took the next morning off the rest, not wanting to ruin the whole hunt.  I spent a long time on the practice target not wanting to repeat what had occurred a few days prior.  Leaving camp around noon proved a wise choice for only a few miles down the trail I was seeing elk.  Cows were up and no bulls with them.  This is exactly what I like to find.  

I spend a lot of time in the binos while hunting this country and it has often paid off.  This day I found 340+ bull coming off a ridge below me.   Given his direction and my knowledge of the area I knew he was headed for a wallow hidden in the timber ¾ of a mile below me.   I quickly ran down the hill careful to avoid the groups of cows and set up for a stalk.  I hoped I could beat him there but I was a little late.  He was laying right in the wallow facing away.  With dry conditions stalking in the timber was tough but I made my approach as quiet as I could.  There as one large tree right on the wallow this covered my movements.   With the wind as it was I was not going to be able to approach for a shot.  I would have to get close and wait for him to get up and present an opportunity.  I closed the gap to ten yards. Literally only a tree between him and I.  For an hour I waited only able to see his left antler and ear.   Tearing into the silence with a bugle almost making me drop my bow I knew he was getting up.  I readied as he rose and drew my bow.  Two steps either right or left and I will have a clear shooting lane.  One step was all he took I have never in my life held my bow at full draw that long. Finally he looked away I let down.  As he began to move I drew again. Then as hunting goes he turned and walked straight away into the timber never offering a shot.   An HOUR ten yards my heart raced for two more.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Looks a GP Medium army tent for a base camp, They are a excellent  camp. Brings back good memory's!

Great pics looking forward to more!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
great pics! enjoying the story as well
Levi Bedortha

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Later that night I made another stalk on the same bull. This time I was busted by a familiar five point as he was chased away by the larger bull and ended up downwind of me, again he started his warning barks.  Later in the evening as dark approached I closed in on another group.  Spending two hours inside 100 yards and twice having the heard bull under 30 I could never get a comfortable shot.  What a day hunting elk in the wilderness though.  I light footed back to camp sore from climbing tired from running and excited about what tomorrow might hold.  
As the sun rose the next morning I was with my Dad and Wayne, the morning was quiet and the elk had wandered to bed early that day it seemed.  We returned to camp cooked up some bacon and eggs and again I left about noon.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Great story so far. those elk pics through the spotting scope are truly awesome! thanks for posting
Semper Fidelis

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
At somewhere around one I approached one of my favorite vantage points in the area.  With my Swarovski’s glued to my eyes I began scouring the country side.  It was not long before I started finding elk.  Some far some farther most bedded in the sun as the often do.   I decided on a group way up in a middle canyon.  This wind was right from where I was and I had seen a good bull with this group the day before.   It was two miles from where I was to where they were in a straight line so walking briskly I headed towards them.   Just as I was nearing their location guess who I find.  Yes the mentally unstable overly alert five point that had been giving me trouble all week.  My approach again was block as he was bedded in an area I knew he would wind me before I could get past him.  
It is common when after a heard bull to have to bypass a satellite or two and even to have to bump them back out of the way.  This one was wise to my ways but I knew I had to try to get him out of there if I was going to get any closer.

Center in this picture is where he was bedded under the tallest tree.  

Used the tree he laid under for cover and approached his location.  I could not believe it when I got to the creek 20 yards away he was still there.  I crawled up to the tree and slowly moved around it.

He was laying just in from of the large rock ten yards away.

I thought to myself sometimes you’re given a gift this is one you should take.  Ten yards a clear shot on a bull that had been a nemesis all week.  I drew to anchor and made myself hold it for a second as picked my spot just above his leg I tensed my back and let the arrow fly.  He sprung to his feet and sprinted only a few yards. Before the stumbling started in forty yards my 2012 elk was down.   Though not my biggest bull I was very excited.  

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Congrats! Fine looking but you got there! Thanks for sharing!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
As others will attest it’s a lot of work once they hit the ground.   Skinning, quartering and boning an elk alone is no easy feat.  
The tools of the job

I packed most of the meat that day about half way to camp and brought one bag all the way to camp that night.  

The FMJ and Stinger Combo did the trick

TGMM Family of The Bow

Online ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I always look forward to reading about the results of your elk hunts. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
I am so fortunate to have good friends and my Dad to hunt with.  The next day four of us set out to recover the rest.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Scott was even there in Spirit

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Dad and I hunted together a lot the next few days.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing another great hunt... Nice shooting, and yeah you don't want to look a gift Elk in the mouth.....
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Way to go brother...after the text I was really looking forward to this story....CONGRATS!!!!!!   :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I just knew it was going to be worth the wait.... and I was right!!

Congratulations on the elk,the friends,and your family Randy!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Randy,
You are a sage when it comes to elk hunting with traditional archery.  There are 1000's of rifle hunters with far less success than you.  Congrats buddy.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:  Congrats! Great story and pics.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Great story and pics as always.Congrats on a nice bull.You always make look easy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©