3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows vs. carbon?  (Read 433 times)

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows vs. carbon?
« on: September 13, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
So I'm fairly new but I have always shot either aluminum or carbon arrows through my recurve. I'm seeing lots of people that are shooting wood arrows. Do they shoot better, or do people just shoot wood for the enjoyment of shooting wood?
Nathan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows vs. carbon?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
A good wooden arrow will do everything a carbon or aluminum will. It's just a matter of what trips your trigger:)

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
I can say this. You'll save your money on carbons. Woodies break too easily and are expensive but a blast to shoot
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kamm1004:
I can say this. You'll save your money on carbons. Woodies break too easily and are expensive but a blast to shoot
And cedars smell better than carbons when you break them.   :rolleyes:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Woody303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
Try bamboo, you won't be disappointed!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
I love shooting the wood arrows I make but for performance there is no comparison between wood and carbon, the carbon wins hands down every time.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »
A carbon arrow can be straighter than a wood arrow and carbon arrows lend themselves better to high FOC if you want to go that route.
Carbon is tougher than wood and less likely to break on a miss.

But a carbon arrow will never be more than a carbon arrow.
A wood arrow can be art that you will be proud to have in your quiver and eager to show off to other archers. A wood arrow can be beautiful.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
I shoot mostly selfbows now.  I have a variety of different arrows.  I've got carbons, woods, cane laying everywhere.  Most people that shoot selfbow would not consider shooting anything but natural material.  I shoot mostly wood and cane now, but I can tell you that my carbons shoot better out of my selfbows than the other two.  More forgiving on spine and definitely tougher.  That's just one man's opinion, and my own experience.  I will be hunting with cane arrows this year though.  :)
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
You really have to experience shooting wood if you haven't yet. Well made wood arrows will fly great and provide a great shooting experience.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
No one could explain it better than Guy.!!!

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
I love to watch the arrow in flight.  Maybe I'm just getting old.  I cant see the carbons fly--to skinny and too fast.  I will stick with wood and aluminum.  I can still see them fly.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
YOU  can  get   high  FOC   by shooting  TAPERED  wood shafts .  SO that is a wash !    
  I have shot  numerous carbons    but will stay with wood !
      I DO   keep a set of aluminum arrows for each bow I own .  They are great for shooting in to   frozen excelsior bales in the winter and   are the best if you happen on  a Mckenzie target.  TRY getting woods and carbons out of Mckenzies !! LOL
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
YOU  can  get   high  FOC   by shooting  TAPERED  wood shafts .  SO that is a wash !    
  I have shot  numerous carbons    but will stay with wood !
      I DO   keep a set of aluminum arrows for each bow I own .  They are great for shooting in to   frozen excelsior bales in the winter and   are the best if you happen on  a Mckenzie target.  TRY getting woods and carbons out of Mckenzies !! LOL
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
I shoot carbon, aluminum and wood.......there is nothing , I repeat nothing like a wood arrow! There is is just something about them! Plus they are fun to make!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I shot carbons since 2004 and aluminum before that. I decided to switch to wood last winter and I'm having a ball with them. I finally "Got It" with wood and they are more enjoyable to me.

Every bow I will hunt this year has a set of cedars to with it.

Offline MonRiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I switched from aluminum to wood in August.  Best thing I ever did.

I'm using ash shafts--a lot heavier than my 2016's-- which are tough as nails.  They took a some work to get them straight, but making them is half the fun.

Once I got them tuned to my bow, they fly just as well as the aluminum--just a bit slower.  

I've always enjoyed shooting, but for some reason shooting a wood I made adds a little more to my experience.  

Oh, and $28 a dozen for matched ash shafts (spine and weight) is half the price of the carbon shafts my wife shoots.
Shooting a vintage Bear Grizzly makes me smile.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I find wood more forgiving and quieter than carbon.  It is less durable, but usually I break nocks, not shafts, so there really isn't much difference in durability in a practical sense.  Wood is also as accurate as you are.  Get what you like and can afford, and get shooting.

Offline Medina1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Carbons are just all around more durable. They don't bend and they don't need straightening. They will be easier to tune and will last longer than woodies will. If you wanna shoot woodies there's nothing wrong with it but carbons from a durability stand point are the dominant arrow.

Caleb
Semper Fi
USMC 2013-present

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I think the fragility of wood arrows is greatly overblown, as is the durability of carbons. I think the stongest attribute of carbon is that the straightness never degrades. I shoot aluminum for ease of tuning but I also make cedar arrows spined to the pound. When the are closely matched in spine I find they are as accurate as synthetic shafts.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
When out stumping I have broke more carbons than I have woodies......Carbons are straight or broke and that can be a good thing. But I have no problem with the durability of wood shafts.    :notworthy:   The important thing is get whatever you shoot well tuned and then go have a good time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©