3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows vs. carbon?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Mr. Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows vs. carbon?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I dont know much about carbons. what I do know is I enjoy building my own POC arrows.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
I too think the fragility of woodies (Ceder) is overblown, I 3D shoot with them & stump shoot with them. I might have broke one this year & I shot 3 days at comptons 3D, shot at the Grayling 3D & the Lapeer Mi. 3D. Plus I shoot on the weekends at pop bottles on sticks in the back 20 acres of my backyard almost every weekend.

I used to believe they were fragile (I used to listen to people who shot carbons & didn't have a clue on cedar arrows)

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Since that is what i started with they are easier to tune for me.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Think of carbon vs wood like Ford vs. Jaguar. The Jaguar (wood) may be finicky (according to some) , and it may be a bit more fragile, etc, than the Ford, but man it is still a world class ride and a total blast.  Wood is that way. There's something inexplicable about beautiful, well made wood arrows, and they are often tougher than you might guess.
Sam

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Snag pretty much said it all.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Wood only for me. There is something mystical about a beautifully built wood arrow. The combination of colors is endless and the skills used by builders, like bowyers are a thing that I love.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
Snag pretty much said it all.
Your right, That does say it all!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Well, I like them all.  They all have their preferred use in my book.  But I intended to use wood in all my bows this year for hunting because I really like the idea of sending some fir through the rib cage of a few deer.  I like wood so much I had over 5 dozen made up for all my bows.  I had to sell them all for my recurves due to the draw increase last week.  But due to some unforseen circunstances with me getting new bows and my draw increasing 1 1/2 inches from May, I'll just have to see.  

Now, I will tell you something I did not use to buy into.  As far as acceptance of spine, carbon is by far superior to them all.  As far as tough, I have found that aluminium and carbon are beter for stumping than the wood's.  All though the woodies can be tough when shooting a blunt.  But mistake none here, a good quality woody will shoot with them all, they just require more attention durning making and care.

Lord willing, I will be launching wood from all my bows this fall.  Can't go wrong with some Surewood fir.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
There is no doubt wood arrows will do everything a carbon or aluminum will do.

My experience has been that wood will not show the durability of the others.

Personally I shoot carbon arrows because I find them the EASIEST to tune and by far the most durable...therefore it is an economics thing...

If I had the time and extra money wood arrows require, I would certainly use wood.

One thing neither carbon or aluminum can do for me is provide the "feeling" that wood can. Also, I have never carried a broken carbon arrow sniffing the freshly broken end.  :campfire:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Hows come no body paints their woodies all black to look like a carbon   :bigsmyl:  

Eric

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I think the "cost" issue is pretty much a wash, in that, carbon arrows are more expensive than wood.  If you make your own woodies and buy high dollar carbons, you'd have to break a bunch of wood to equal the cost of a single carbon.  I prefer hickory, ash, maple, laminated birch, ramin-all very tough, very durable woods-for arrows.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I know all the reasons that carbons should be and are a superior material for arrows. Moreover, I certainly have nothing against carbons or those who choose to shoot them. But they're not for me. I simply prefer woodies first, then aluminums.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©