3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting strength back?  (Read 218 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Getting strength back?
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
After going through surgery two months ago, and not being able to shoot my bows regularly for more than 3 years, it has taken it's toll on me physically.  I am down to a really light poundage, lighter than I like, but it is what I can shoot, when I can shoot.

For some of you that might have gone through an extended period of time of not shooting, what has worked for you to get your strength back.  Not only upper muscles for pulling heavier weights, but also leg strength and upping your endurance level?

Is there a diet that helps?  What exercises or physical conditioning would you suggest.

I know this year will be light poundage bows only, but I want and need to get some of my strength back, not only for archery, but just better physical conditioning.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting strength back?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Hi Charlie,

You and I are about the same age so I have a bit of your perspective.  I had heart bypass surgery back in 2005 and it took me a year to get fully back on my feet.  I walked - alot.  Walking will get your overall strength up and also some endurance.  Start small with whatever works for your upper body - light bow or real light dumbells.  Don't overdue it, take it in small steps but keep at it everyday.  At our age keeping in shape is a continuous process.  I find that if I take off for only a month I have taken a huge step backwards.  Above all, listen to your body.  If your body says something hurts, don't try and power through it, you'll just cause more damage - take it slow and easy.  In no time you will start to feel better.

Glad you are doing better.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Along with the walking, I was wondering if getting on a mountain bike and riding as much as possible would be of help, especially for the leg strength and also towards endurance?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I bet it would help, but make sure your balance has not been compromised by the medical things you've been through.  I'd love to ride a mountain bike for conditioning (and transportation), but physical challenges have made that a definite thing of the past, for me...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Well that is a big part of my problem.  Balance.  I had all of the vestibular function of my left ear completely removed, and my right side has to read all my balance issues.  That is what is giving me a lot of my troubles, but only time will let that recover.  But not being able to do hardly anything physically for the last at least 2 years, has taken a huge toll on my body, and not for the best.  Looking to get motivated and doing anything that will help me get back to somewhat of what I was.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Biking will definately help but, again, take it slow.

Regarding your balance issues.  I took a Tai Chi class at the local VA Hospital and that has helped my balance a lot.  The moves are very easy when done correctly and will improve your balance more than you realize.  See if you can hook up with an instructor locally to show you the proper technique.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Any physical exercises will help at this point, just being active will be a good start.  If you do not have access to a gym or would like to do more home based exercises that are just body weight only google Tabata workouts.  Even though these are only body weight based they are still very effective.  

Their is also a lot of physical exercises that you can do with things like sledge hammers, tires, sand bags...etc...  Train to hunt is a good source for some of these workouts.  

Some people like crossfit; however, crossfit requirements a lot of multi-joint movements.  If you understand olympic type and powerlifting type lifting and have good technique and form then crossfit can also be very effective.  If you don't have a good technique and form this type of training can lead to injuries.  

As far as diet goes, that's a loaded question.  If you are looking to loss weight, shift your diet to a more lean protein based diet.  The caveman diet is a good diet to loss weight on.  If you are looking to gain weight shift your diet to a more carb based diet.  For weight training you should really focus on eating a meal every 3 to 5 hours, and always eat before and after a training session.  Diets can be made as complicated as you want or as simply as you want them, you really need to decide if you want to loss or gain weight.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I agree completely with Pete McMiller. I recently had a knee replacement (right knee) and my left knee has some torn soft tissue issues to be taken care of next. All of my physical therapy was geared to restoring range of motion to my right knee.

Unfortunately, at 71 years of age, when you stop being active the whole body deteriorates at an alarming rate. Now that I have moderate function of my right knee back, I'm trying to work everything a little at a time. I'm drawing a bow every day (one of my lighter bows) even if I don't have a chance to shoot that day. I'm riding a stationary bike 3 - 4 times/day. I've started an hour of water aerobics a couple of times a week at our community college and walking (including stairs) as much as possible.

Seems that when you get not just older but OLD, what you lose in a month takes many months to gain back. If I try to push it too hard, I strain something new and it takes days for the pain to go away again.

A balanced approach to reconditioning the whole body is my goal now. I may lose most or all of the archery season this year, but I can hunt with a bow through Michigan's firearms season, black powder season and the late doe season which gives me until January to finally get a shot in.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
I have been looking around my area for a good used mountain bike to start riding some.  It sure can not hurt.

An no Tutanka, the diet would not be for loosing or gaining weight, but to help build muscle and muscle memory.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
They make stationary trainers for your bike. They clamp onto the axle in the rear and have a cylinder that applies pressure to the tire so you get the feel of the road. I recomend a street tire on the back knoby tires do not work very smoothly. Cycle-ops make one of the best for the $.pm me if you have any questions

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Got out this morning and did a short walk, but it is a start.  Looking every day for a good used mountain bike to ride, and looking and starting to eat healthier foods.  Now it will just be time.  If anyone else has anything they do to share, please do so.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
You didn't mention what kind of surgery. In the last 5 years I've had 3, one bypass and two torn tricep tendon surgeries. I'm 68 so not really young but fairly strong and walk and work out.

The by pass was by far the most challenging to overcome but with PT, walking and going to the gym I regained 100% strength. Can't do much of anything but walk for 10-12 weeks. I'm still 6 1/2 weeks from tendon surgery and walk 3.5 miles/day 3 times/wk. No weight bearing excercises for 3.5 more weeks. I recover fast from these starting shooting a 30# bow and move up to 38#, 42#, 45# and then 50# before you know it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Reddogge.  It was found that I had menieres  disease in my left ear about two years ago.  I had to retire on dissability and thing got bad after that.  I had two gentimicine injections into my left ear to try and kill the vestibular function, but it did not get it all.  Finally, two months ago, they did a Labyrinthectomy operation on my left ear.  They basically cut my left ear away from my body, then went in and drilled all of the vestibular canals and hair out of the side of my scull and then filled the hole is with something and sewed my ear back on.  I now have no vestibular function(balance to the brain and eyes) on my left side.  Nothing.  My right side has to read everything that I do.  Lots and lots of dizzy days, days I can not even stand up, depending on what I do.  Only time will let the right side be as good as it can be, but will never be the same as with both sides.

Not being able to even walk much, other than around the house, for more that 2 years now, has taken it's toll.  I just hope it is not to late to get some of it back.

Another reason I ask here, is to see and hear from others that battle a handicap and how they get improvement through exercise, and food.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I am just about 7 months out of a back surgery with rods and screws, I have been back at work doing hard physical labor for over two months. I found walking and using light weight(dumb bells and curl bar)and a lot of reps and every 3rd session increase the weight a little was the key to getting back in action. But the best physical therapy I had was taking care of my kids while the wife worked. Cardio workouts will give you the endurance you need, but dont just do that and neglect the muscles.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I had to back off the mountain bike due to vertigo issues. Walk first Charlie. Then see if you can borrow a bike before making a buy.

If we lived closer to each other you could borrow one of mine.

Hang in there.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks Bud.  And yes, for now it is walking as much as I can.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©