3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missouri Season  (Read 1306 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Season
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Water could be a big factor, they need to drink every day. If its a long way, they may hang closer.  We have a lot of ponds here, so they haven't changed up much.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Hunted this evening.

Jumped one deer coming into my blind, not sure if it was a doe or buck.

Didn't see any deer rest of sit.

However, I had a coyote run past me at a steady trot only 20 yards out. Had a baby raccoon walk literally 8 feet in front of me (I was in constructed ground blind), and had a squirrel come to 3 feet in front of me.

No deer, but very rewarding hunt anyhow.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
It was a beautiful day today and I had to go hunting.  I was feeling extra spunky so I told the wife I planned to try an area where I saw a nice buck at the end of last season.  The location is on public land but the hilly terrain and distance from the parking lot means very little hunting pressure.  The wife reminded me she enjoys chili much more than antler stew, so I promised not to pass a fat doe if the opportunity arose.  I took the game cart just in case since I didn't want to walk all the way back to the truck if I was successful.  I found a perfect spot and settled back to enjoy the afternoon.  The squirrels were in overdrive and very entertaining.  After about an hour, here comes a fat doe.
I was not impressed with the performance of the Woodsman broadheads last year so I switched to Ace.  You can't be disappointed with penetration like this!

She wasn't quite sure what happened, so she walked off a little ways and it was over.  Even though I knew where she was laying, I like to follow the trail to see what I can learn.

After a quick photo, I began the long haul back to the truck.  Wow, I knew I was getting old but come  on!  It took me an hour to get her up the first hill and another half hour to get her to the truck.  Thank goodness the last stretch was down hill.  

I learned something today.  I need to hunt flatter ground, exercise more, and/or find a hunting partner.  Straining that hard at 50+ years old is a recipe for a heart attack.  

I hope you guys had a good day as well.  Happy Hunting.     :archer2:
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Nice job Wind.

After talking Dad thru emailing me a pic, I have one of my Chilli doe.......now to make doe chili...

Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Those are both nice big fat ole slick heads, guys!

Congrats to you both...!  Yum!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
congratts! guys....wind d, i know what you mean 50+..the hills seem steeper!  :thumbsup:

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Nice doe Onestringer.     :clapper:  
I just got done grinding, wrapping, and freezing my chili doe.  I hope to hit the timber again tomorrow evening.  
Have you guys been seeing anything?
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Anyone get a chance to hunt the foggy weather? looked perfect

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Great job guys, those are good eating!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Congrats on the deer taken.  I went out yesterday and was on the ground in a brush pile between two fields.  I decided to get up and move because I haden't seen anything.  That was a bad mistake as I go through the brush making noise a nice 8 pointer was chasing a doe right to me, until they heard me.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Weather getting very cold. Will be out Saturday and sunday

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Got to go tonite, does and little ones around, but the turkeys and the good buck(and a lil one) stayed out a hundred + yards at other end of wheat plot......  :cool:  

Here is the buck, probably gross around 120-130, but had 2 cute stickers on his G2s about 3-4" long. You can barely see em in the pic. They angle forward, can see em from side or front!!

I'da probably shot him, but he wasn't interested in lite rattling or grunting, so I didn't push it. He will be around.....  :D  

Called a yote in after sunset, when I heard him bark at the ones across the creek. He came in downwind naturally and my setup almost worked anyway. Was at half draw waiting for him to clear a pinoak limb when he decided his Mom was calling him....  :archer2:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I was out this evening on the ground in an area I've hunted with a stand, but the wind is notorious for shifting in this creek bottom. I've never seen a deer here, but it is a good funnel area and so I ground hunted. Once again at about 6:30 the wind shifted, so I just moved a few steps. Well just before dark, three bucks walked down into a low area waiting to cross the creek. I could only see this fellow and I knew if he tried to cross they would all three spook. He got to about 45 feet of me in some brush and began to look my way. Not sure if he could see me or if he was just checking out the crossing. It seemed like awhile and my arms started to cramp up, as I dared not to move. He made the mistake of turning his head and when he did an arrow was on it way thru a small opening in the  brush. They all three took off and within 50 yards I heard tree limbs breaking and knew he was down. I have a feeling the two other bucks may have been even bigger, but I'm happy as my intention was to shoot a doe for the meat and it doesn't seem to get any more exciting as when you're on the ground and an opportunity happens.

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Finally connected with trad gear for the first time tonight.  I got hooked on this site 8 yrs ago and have been patiently waiting.  Here she is.  Thank you Lord.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
I was out this evening on the ground in an area I've hunted with a stand, but the wind is notorious for shifting in this creek bottom. I've never seen a deer here, but it is a good funnel area and so I ground hunted. Once again at about 6:30 the wind shifted, so I just moved a few steps. Well just before dark, three bucks walked down into a low area waiting to cross the creek. I could only see this fellow and I knew if he tried to cross they would all three spook. He got to about 45 feet of me in some brush and began to look my way. Not sure if he could see me or if he was just checking out the crossing. It seemed like awhile and my arms started to cramp up, as I dared not to move. He made the mistake of turning his head and when he did an arrow was on it way thru a small opening in the  brush. They all three took off and within 50 yards I heard tree limbs breaking and knew he was down. I have a feeling the two other bucks may have been even bigger, but I'm happy as my intention was to shoot a doe for the meat and it doesn't seem to get any more exciting as when you're on the ground and an opportunity happens.

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Congratulations Bowman and  mqqse!  Very nice.

I saw several does yesterday morning but have yet to see a buck.  On the way back to the truck, I made a nice shot on a fat rabbit.  I haven't had fried rabbit in ages.     :)
NRA Endowment Member.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Way to go guys!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Nice buck Neven!  Way to get it done on the ground.   :thumbsup:

Way to go Chris!  There's only one "first", enjoy it!   :archer2:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Nice deer guys.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Lost count of the deer I saw yesterday afternoon. Mostly buttons and spikes, a couple of does, and one decent 8. Passed on two buttons, almost shot another one that was big as a doe. One doe spotted my ladder stand, which had only been there three hours, and actually crept up and stuck her nose to the ladder. Wrong side, so she was spared. None of the other deer seemed to notice it.

Very few acorns here are good (SW MO). LOTS of bad red oak acorns and post oak acorns. No white oak acorns at all that I've seen. The spot where I am hunting has black oak acorns that are good, and the deer know it!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©