3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Marysville, Ohio deer quality???  (Read 342 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Marysville, Ohio deer quality???
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Well, looks like Ill be hunting central Ohio this year and I hear that theres a B and C buck standing broad side under every tree in the state. OK, maybe not every tree but what are the genetics like if you are aware. ls the area known to produce bigguns, high numbers or none of the above?  Either way, itll be an adventure and a road trip to new country and Im looking forward to it.

Any recommendations  for a great dinner would also be appreciated.

Also, I hear there are alot of pheasant and some quail in the area. Anyone? Ive been looking forward to hunting Ohio for some time now.
                                      Thanks,Izzy

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Marysville, Ohio deer quality???
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Good luck finding a place to hunt in that part of Ohio. most of it is privetly owned by Honda or other big outfits. there are some BIG bucks in that area, I see them all the time as I drive through there. When you coming over. I live about an hour away
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Great hunting there but like stated mostly private hunting.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Ive got the place already secured. Ill be there on and off from October through the end of season.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I would plan a whole second week of November there if I were you. Great time to be in the woods all day.

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
No quail hunting allowed in that part of the state.  The pheasant hunting is not great with most of the pheasants killed in Ohio being put and take although there are some areas with wild pheasants.  I would stick to deer.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Our numbers of deer have dropped in ohio since the 6 doe tags, but there are many big bucks if the area is managed properly and has the right crops.Good luck i like the first week of the season and first 2 weeks of november.Try not to hunt much in the middle of october the big bucks are really nocturnal at that time.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
i can tell you izzy marysville is okay, but go west about 15-20 minutes to the western edge of logan county, zanesfield, west mansfield , bellefontaine is a much better area,logan county had 2284 deer harvested comapred to union county that had 996 deer last year, so unless your going to do some traveling to west of columbus, logan county is a better choice and only 20 minutes from marysville. i know have hunted both area for many years
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I used to work for a supplier to Honda and spent alot of time there. There are big bucks in that area. Shoot, I used to see huge rubs on the trees while driving into Honda's R&D facility. Some of my Honda  friends had gagger bucks hanging in their houses. Good luck!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Watch out for a speeding truck with SELFBOW on the plates. That's Torges country.   :p
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Im sure looking forward to it. May make it an annual thing.

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I killed a 148" not too far from there.  Honda has ridiculously large deer.  Outfitter had properties around it and killed 200"+ deer that lived on and around Honda.  All I can say is that you are one lucky man.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
If it is a decent sized private property and not hunted heavy, then you will see at least a few big bucks on the land. I can tell you there will be REALLY good bucks if there is some overgrown fields mixed with woods and agriculture. Like said before, focus on the 2nd week of November (10th-16th) if you have to take vacation. The weather should be cooler and the rut should be in a full chasing phase. That will also help you avoid youth shotgun season.

Don't be surprised to see a good number of decent bucks and fat does. There might even be some BIG ones mixed in from time to time. They aren't behind "every" tree and may not offer a shot, but you will likely see a couple big boys.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Izzy, as shedhunta stated, "you are one extremely lucky man." Most the the hunting ground in that are is lease by outfitters. There are some dandy bucks in that part of the State. If you need someone to shoot a "little buck", call me and I will be right over! Good Luck! The great state of Ohio only charges non residents to purchase a deer license  $150.00 over the counter. I went to Illinois year last year and it cost me $500.00.

Offline fredbear1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
i live and hunt around marysville i also hunt in logan county very good hunting alot of it is being leased up but there is alot of quality deer hunting

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone knows who the outfitters are and how much do they charge?

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Good luck Izzy!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
Leasing greed will be the demise of this great heritage...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
I was looking forward to some bird hunting but will have to be content with deer, thats not much of a task. I dont plan on being too picky unless I put a NY deer in the freezer before I get out there. Thanks fellas, I appreciate the info.

Offline fredbear1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
5 star outfitters is one of them he is leasing up the land around the farms i hunt eventually there wont be any land to hunt but public

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©