3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Traditional Journey Elk pics added  (Read 1280 times)

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
A Traditional Journey Elk pics added
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Hi everyone. I thought I'd introduce myself by taking you on a brief trip through my introduction to trad archery.    ;)    

I started my trip by the purchase of a 2004 Bear take-down recurve with 60 lb limbs. Although the bow felt great in the hand,60 lb was to much to start my trad life with. I was lucky enough to get a fine gentleman by the name of Brandon Stahl of Rose Oak Creations to make me a set of 48 lb limbs which fit me and the bow perfectly.

I was off and enjoyed shooting on a daily bases for 6 months until the spring of 2012 when turkey season started. Yes we have those crafty critters up here too. I like to use my mountain bike to ride into areas that I wish to hunt turkey as it's quiet and mobile. Unfortunately, wooden slippery bridge decks promote wipe-outs and upon "hitting the deck" I broke one of my Brandon Stahl limbs. Back to my 60 lb limbs.    :mad:    

And yes there will be a hunting story involved.    :goldtooth:    More to come.

The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Traditional Journey Elk pics added
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
This sounds good!  Keep it coming!   :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Welcome from Indiana. Good first post.  :wavey:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Nice, is that a mineral site?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
:campfire: , since I didn't get to go on my first elk hunt this year, I love these stories.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I wish my first post were as edge of the seat as this one!
Let loose another'n!

Killdeer   :clapper:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Methinks his mountain bike legs got a workout!!

:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Luckily Brandon put me back on the list for a new set of limbs and I'm patiently waiting!   :rolleyes:

I then had the great good fortune to meet up with Abe Penner and his lovely wife Tina, owners of Cari-bow Bows, at the B.C. Provincial Trad Shoot and spend the next couple days shooting with them. I was also lucky enough to come away with a new Silver Fox long bow which is not only a shooter but a beautiful piece of art.   :bigsmyl:
Elk season is approaching and I decided to use the Bear with it's 60 lb limbs as the "Silver Fox" is just to pretty to take into the bush this year.

I set up a camera in my honey hole which is a mineral lick to see what was coming in. As you seen previously a nice 6 point was coming in on a regular bases as it was hot, into the mid 80's. Need to go cook up some steaks, I'll be back.   :goldtooth:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
wow two post and already a true trad gang story teller

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Sept. 01 was our archery opener, hot, sunny and a full moon, does it get any better.     :dunno:

Unfortunately, Martin had to head home and I had a Golf Course to prepare for a tournament.

On Sat. Sept 08 I checked the game camera at the mineral lick, I think maybe I need to get serious about sitting on this soon. More to come.

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I hate to break the flow of the story but I,m having trouble downloading the pictures from photo bucket. It continually posts the original picture of the 6 point and I can't seem to post any other ones. Any suggestions?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Abe Penner has made about the prettiest bow I've ever seen.
Nice fella, highly ethical person, has some terrific stories, too.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I should also add that for over a year I have been soaking up as much knowledge as these brain cells will take from all of the trad gang member and thank you Rob, Killy and the rest for the kind comments. I hope that as this story progresses that it gives you an idea of the pleasure and contentment that trad archery and this site has brought to me.    :thumbsup:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
You have a knack for the art of the story Craig - keep it coming!  

I don't know what the issue might be with Photobucket - hope you get it figured out.  But in the meantime your words are painting wonderful pictures!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Thanks Whip, hope I can GET IT FIGURED.
Computer illiteracy gets frustrating.   :banghead:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Photobucket is giving me fits at the moment right now also.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
On the evening of Sat. the 08 I got to sit in my tree stand over the mineral lick. I had just settled in when I could hear something approaching. Elk, 3 cows and 2 calves were making there way toward me and just glimpsed through the trees a young 5 point bull.

I tried to keep myself as calm as possible but it was a losing battle. The bull kept cruising on the perimeter and never quite coming in to my effective range of 20 meters or less. Then suddenly he started into the lick, at 20 meters he stopped, facing me and stood there forever. No shot!

He then walked up to the mineral lick at 15 meters and stopped again. Still no shot. Turning broadside he then walked away following the rest of the cows without ever giving me a good solid opportunity.    :(  

After getting the shakes under control and my heart rate down to normal it was getting dark and time to head out but I was coming back in the morning to try another round.     :)  

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
You got us Craig. We're hooked. Well worth the wait for your photos  :)

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
The early morning sky was full of stars and it was an interesting walk out to the mineral lick in the dark. The things you can't see but only hear seem to help you on your way.    :scared:  

I got settled in my tree stand in the dark and enjoyed how the night came back alive after my passing through. It was only minutes later that I heard approaching animals. There is no mistaking the sound of elk moving through the trees when they are relaxed. Noisy is a word that comes to mind! But no, it's still dark and I can't see anything but the moon light glinting off of hide and horn.   :mad:  

It's now breaking day light and the silence is broken by a single bugle and close by comes an answer. I look at my wrist watch and it reads 6:00 and I give 3 cow calls with a mouth diaphragm. Nothing, no answer, no movement. 15 minutes later I call again. Silence. I look down at my watch and check the time as I don't want to call anymore then ever 15 minutes. I look up and see horn tips coming trough the bush. Points, a lot of points, this is no 5 point or any bull I have seen on my game camera.

I tell myself don't look at the horns, don't look at the horns but they seem to draw my eyes as the bull comes ever closer.

He's walking straight into me and stopping every 3 or 4 steps. Now he is standing right beside the flagging tape that marks 20 meters but still facing me. I'm a wreck, trying to control my breathing and shaking. He continues on coming in to 15 meters and then suddenly turns broadside and slightly quartering away. NOW! I see a piece of something just behind his left shoulder and direct all of my concentration on just that spot. Come to full draw, hold a second and don't remember telling myself to release.

The arrow suddenly appears right at the point I was staring at embedding itself right up to the fletch and stopping against the other shoulder. The bull stumbles, puts his head down and crashes away at a full run until he goes about 40 meters and stops, looks around and slowly walks away. More to come.     :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©