3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10788 times)

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
You had me thinking you were going to blow through him!!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
But wait it gets better.

This buck was clearly just a three year old.  I have much larger bucks on the  wall. There is 3 months of season left and there are much larger bucks in these woods.

At 8 am I see movement again on the trail to the North. This time moving slow and browsing as they move. 2 mature does walking in single file right on the trail. The wind seems to have died. The first doe approaches my shooting lane only to stop and tilt her head back. Crap. Body language says she has me. She doesn't know where I am but she knows I am near. She looks up at me but doesn't make me. She gets all rigid  and start to angle away. I think about the shot and decide to pass. She is too alert . Better safe then sorry. Down the ridge they go.
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
but wait it gets better.

I look up into the food plot as its only about 45 yards up the ridge and see deer bodies walking around grazing. I spend about 15 minutes watching them feed and then off they go to the cedars to sleep. its about 8:45 and I reach into my pack for a double shot of espresso and milk in a can. I am sitting there enjoying that when I hear loud bleating coming from the food plot. A small deer is totting thru it bleating bleating and bleating. Off it goes to West.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
But wait it still gets better!

At 9 a.m. I am about to pack it up when through the trees to the North I CAN make out a deer's body. He is feeding on acorns or hickory nuts. A big bodied animal with large antlers! Behind him in the heavier cover is another LARGER BUCK. They are both slowly feeding their way down the ridge and do not appear as though they will end up any where near me for a shot. At 45 yards downhill the first one lays down.

At  9 45 I text Bwana that I am pinned downed and can not leave the stand.  I have been holding the bow and standing stock still for the prior 45 minutes and I do not want him to come looking for me.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
I have now been watching them for over an hour. The bigger buck has been foraging this whole time. Clearly this is a buck I'd love to kill. He walks to where the other buck is laying and pushes his rack up against the other buck. I can see him put his weight into it and the other buck gets up. they clack their antlers together and shove each other a little.  they pull apart and both turn to look to the East. I look down the hill and see a tail flick.

The buck I passed on must have been laying down there and has gotten up and is walking their way .
He approaches the others with caution, they all stand and look at each other for a few seconds. The last buck turns and starts to walk back in the direction he just came from . The other two follow along and down onto the steepest part of the ridge below they disappear. I ever so quietly pack my things and slink out of there. Pick up Bwana and sneak back down to camp.

I didn't get a deer (yet) today and couldn't be a happier guy

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
great encounter!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Your frigging killing me..........cool, but your killing me....lol! Great story........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Several guys have now said that, sorry!

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Awesome, That first shot is coming soon!! I feel it.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Well you have a good idea where the big bucks are hanging out. They shouldn't go anywhere. Good luck tonight.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
LOL.....no need to apologize....I'm just jealous!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Great stuff Jim!  This is going to be the thread of the fall, no doubt about it.  
I've been hunting this week too, but haven't been very patient in the mornings thinking that all the big bucks would be long bedded up after the first couple hours.  Your story will be playing in my mind tomorrow morning!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
"I didn't get a deer (yet) today and couldn't be a happier guy"

Man, I love this stuff!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
:campfire:  great hunt!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
you guys are welcome.

The wind was out of WNW by the time it was time to head back out. Blowing harder than I like too.It was no good for where the bucks might come back out from  this mornings hunt. But it would be still be good for two stands up on the old hay field so we headed there with high hopes for an eventful afternoon. Bwana chose to sit in the " Bwana " stand. After all it does have special meaning for the guy. I on the other hand cut across at an angle to the far NE corner of the field where it slopes and then suddenly drops off all most cliff like at my Eastern Border. I call this the "Corner " stand. Its like a 90 corner on a box with a trail following the ridge in both directions.  Here is the stand in the big oak.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
here is a the view from the stand.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
There is a tiny micro food plot 15 yards from me there in that opening.  Up above is the plot with forage oats and Brassica's. About 6 pm I saw three deer busting over the hill running down towards me. The doe stopped and stood just at the upper edge of the little food plot. About 10 minutes later legs appeared behind the cedar tree on the left side of the picture. I assumed the doe was back. Out walks a little 4 point and he stands in the ten yard opening along side the cedar tree! He then walks into the micro plot and starts to nibble. Crashing noises from my left send him running towards the sun set. Deer are running down the trail from my left. It's the two fawns that were wiith the doe that ran by me earlier. They stop directly under me and stand there looking back.  The little button buck was straight down.    

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
they stood there for a little while and then trotted up the hill towards the oats and Brassica's. The sun is just starting to set and I am on edge waiting for the next deer to show! But alas that was it for the day. tomorrow i'll be out again  

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
"But wait it gets better"
I'll say. Great read along. 3 months left in the season, this'll be 30 pages! Fantastic!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
Living the dream!!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©