3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10787 times)

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
WOW    KEEP it coming!        Great reading !   Thanx for sharing  !!!
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Nice story bro.  Just some food for thought.  I am unsure of the reason why you are not impressed with the rape seed but deer really don't eat it much until it frosts on it.  So if it is because the deer are not hammering it yet, just be patient.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Today was another great day and I have yet to pull my bow back on a deer.!

The day started with the retrieval of Bwana's doe from last night. He had seven deer in the rape plot and shot the biggest. She just happended to be the one that ran by me last night with the two fawns.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
I got to share great coffee, great laughs, hard work and natures beauty with good good friends. On the way to my stand this after noon I saw my favorite flowers. Wild Asters. Perhaps my favorite because when they bloom its time to hunt!  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I was thinking I'd go back to where i had the encounter with the snake a few nights ago. The wind was a little stronger and I hoped it would work more in my favor as it was more northerly tonight. As I passed my clover field a big doe with triplets ran out of it and up into the woods.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Approaching the stand, quite honestly I was looking more for snakes then for deer.  Another bedded deer jumped up and ran up hill. Darn, I am bumping them left and right tonight.

And the night just sort of passed. At one point I had a deer some where near, behind me in heavy cover my eyes couldn't see into. I could hear it walking and making the snuffling noises they make when scent checking the ground. But I never laid eyes on it. The sun set, I walked back, and bumped another deer. The lights were on in the yurt, I could hear laughter and celebrations going on. The boys were having fun!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Keep it coming   :campfire:    :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Kim is on the score card too

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I hope it is ok to post the score card pictures.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I really enjoy reading this!  Following your story is the next best thing to being in the woods.  It's getting more exciting by the day!     :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
way cool buddy way cool   :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
ok so I have been stalling to write today's post.

With only one guest left still to fill a tag, Joel and I left the yurt at 5:15 A.M. in gusty winds, light rain and even some snow flakes in the beams of our head lamps. The wind was gusting out of the NW and we both needed to be some where in the 23 acre bluff to be somewhat protected from the weather if we were planning on staying out for any length of time.

I walked Joel down to the ultra view stand  on the corner that I last hunted earlier in the week. I then backtracked and hiked up to another ladder high on the bluff but far enough south of Joel not to be blocking any deer from coming his way.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
And then.....   :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
The name of this stand is " Do Over". As in I'd like to do that shot over. The spot is a hub of deer traffic in the morning but it seems to be cursed. Unfortunately i was about to join the ranks of the Do Over Club members.

here is a view of the stand  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Above me it gets very steep. The deer can be coming down the hill , up the hill or traversing the bluff cross ways. Part of the curse is you have be watching in all directions constantly.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
At 9 30 am I was thinking of calling it a morning as I had not seen another deer. I looked down the bluff and make out two does on a trail about 40 yards down heading away from me. 15 minutes later they were coming back. Changed their minds for some reason except now there were three of them. The first one was what I like to call a magnum doe. She had a big horse size head. She was on the logging road. You can see the road in the picture its a 15 yards shot. I kept saying pick a spot over and over and I slowly pivoted on the stand tracking her as she walked up the road waiting for the shot opportunity to come.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  thanks for the updates. Some of our seasons are pretty much over.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
She kept moving. I am not a fan of making a noise to try and make her stop.  When the shot didn't materialize , I turned my focus to deer #2 who was now standing still on the road her head behind that little leaning tree. But deer #3 stepped up in between  the doe in front of her  and I, making her closer, yet a little bit steeper of a shot. I was already bent at the waist and I focused on a spot and began my draw. Out of the corner of my eye I could see doe #1 had now turned and was facing me watching me draw the bow.

I broke the cardinal rule of trying to pull off a shot at an alert deer even if the alert deer isn't the intended target. I think what then happened is doe #1 at the exact amount I hit anchor spun around to flee. Deer #2 and Deer #3 reacted immediately with doe #3 dropping. There was aloud CRACK as broad head hit solid bone. The doe spun to her right and I could see my entire arrow sticking from the center of her scapula. I think I could even see the 50 grain brass insert glint for a second in the sun . She exploded down the hill and I sat down on the seat replaying what just happened.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
What the hell? I was so mad at myself for miffing a putt. I guess what I describe is what I hope happened to make my self feel better. But the  truth of the matter is I simply blew it!

Here is what I found 10 yards from the point of impact     the carbon shaft split and the insert and the 200 grain VPA stayed in the doe's shoulder.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©