3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10800 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
I checked the area for blood even though I knew i wouldn't be finding any. Then walked the short distance home.

I tried to make peace with myself and served up a lunch of Venison Back straps from Bwana's doe and veggies on the grill for the boys and my wife.  
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Later I took Joel and dropped him off in apple ally then hiked up to the Corner stand. I enjoyed a nice sunset and watched a small doe in the little food plot.  

Several deer were up in the forage oats at sunset but nothing else came close. I waited until it was dark and exited down the trail that keeps me hidden from the deer in the food plots so we can go back up there and give it another whirl tomrorow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Those scapula's are tough Jim - don't need to ask how I know.  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
Stinks, but she'll likely live and be no worse for wear. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Looks like you have an awesome place. Good luck.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Now you have a goal of recovering that broad head. That would be a neat story. Thanks for sharing

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Love this thread and I'm getting a late start to hunt this year and enjoy reading your adventure of each day's hunt with photo's...Very nice place you have there and looks so relaxing...I noticed your bow looks to have Olive ash burl and I have a Hoot's with it it as well...Awesome swirls in it.... Keep us posted and thank you for taking us all along...
                  Keefer's <><

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Jim,
sorry about the doe.  It really would be something if you had another shot at her.  I really cant add to what Joe said.

This thread is great.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
What an awesome thread! Sorry about the doe. Keep at it though. Beautiful land!

FR
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your words of encouragement!

Cold morning today! It wasd 32 degrees when I walked down to the yurt to roust the last hunter with a tag.
I dropped Joel off at the stand that is just up the logging road from the yurt and continued my way on up the bluff to the stand I was in last Thursday the day of the three big bucks.

The sun rose and my attention was focused in the direction the bucks had come from previously.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Shortly after sunup I looked left just in time to see three fawns exiting the food plot. I never heard a sound! They must have been feeding and were now heading to bed.  I kept a close eye towards the north but after 4 hours on stand and not seeing another deer, I returned to the yurt for fresh coffee and conversation. We shot some arrows,made some lunch, drank some coffee and told some tall tales. The weather was checked and we made a plan for the evening hunt.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Season hasn't even started here yet, and i'm stoked reading this thread.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
The forecast for wind was out of the NW for remainder of the day. At 4pm we began our march up the bluff to the 20 footer tree stand. I helped Joel get set then doubled back so I could circle the field and avoid letting any bedded deer to the south wind me. I didn't want to push any deer that would come up to Joel out of their beds by winding me as I went to my stand on the SE end of the field. Joel was on the East end and the deer feed up the ridge onto all of the upper food plots. As I got to the south end of the middle field I could see 4 does in the final field clover right in front of my ladder stand.

by the time I got the camera out of my pack two had exited the field but I got the last two as they went back into the bedding area.        

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Standing in the spot I stood when I took the photos of the deer in the clover and turning back north, here is the food plot I had circled to avoid letting deer wind me  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
After I was sure the four deer were far enough down the ridge, I slowly walked to the ladder and climbed in for what was starting to look like a promising evening!

Here is the view to the clover from the ladder     its about a 12 yard shot to the edge of the clover and 30 yards to the top. The farther the shot from the stand the more level the shot due to the slop of the field. After about 90 minutes in the stand a small 4 point buck was coming up the trail behind me. But the wind was wrong for the deer to approach from that way. At about 15 yards the buck finally got a nose full of Jim and he turned tail and trotted back down the ridge. 30 minutes later deer to the South and East of me began snorting continually the rest of the sit. Just at dark a lone doe came out of the woods just to the right of clover field. She was going to come into the field but the snorting behind me down in the timber turned her around and  the evening ended without any close encounters.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I'm a "regular" here now. Always scroll down to find the latest addition. As above no season here yet, so this is big time inspiration.
Way to keep at it and thanks for taking the time to post.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
I love this thread!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
Standing in the spot I stood when I took the photos of the deer in the clover and turning back north, here is the food plot I had circled to avoid letting deer wind me  
What is growing in this plot?  It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like clover.  It's so nice and green I'll bet the deer love it.  I'm a couple hundred miles northwest of you and my clover and alfalfa plots are all dry, brown, and dead.  

Have you gotten better rainfall or is that a secret blend of drought tolerant clover or...?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Your doing an excellent job in telling the tale of your hunt.....one of the best I have followed!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©