3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10775 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
Jim, you are a blessed man..enjoy
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Nice, pure heaven.

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Looks like a nice set-up.  Can't wait for the story and pics that will be coming!      :campfire:

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
I will definitely be following this thread!

That area is one of the prettiest in the state.  When I was much younger I used to hunt grouse in Whitewater WMA (not too far away..?) and I know what you mean about the steep bluffs.  We aren't used to that in Minnesota where elevation is often better measured in vertical inches than vertical feet...LOL.

Beautiful place you have, looks like paradise.  Good luck, looking forward to the updates...   :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
:campfire:  

I will be across the Mighty Mississip in late october in SW wisconsin.

I will wave from my bluff.

Good luck, I look forward to following this thread.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Nice pics and pray you put a tag on "Mr.Clean"..

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
thanks everyone for the nice comments and encouragement .

I left the yurt at 5:15 am. The stars were very bright. The wind was calm. There has been a small fawn hanging out this week in the brush along the little creek our one lane bridge crosses. It was laying there today just watching me as I made my way across  the bridge. not sure where its mom is .

I slowly made my way down the dirt lane  and up to the fire break up the edge of the old pasture.   Stopping every so often to listen and to let my heart catch up I slowly made my way up the old logging road and arrived at my stand just as light was breaking over eastern horizon.

its very steep at this stand. When you get right below it on the deer trail I almost have to crawl up to base of the tree. the stand is only about 8 feet off the ground but due to the steepness of the hillside the shot to the trail is about 20 feet down.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
the morning was very pleasant. Lots of bird noises especially owl calls. We seem to have a lot of Bard owls. Their "who cooks for you" back and forth made me smile . I did't see any deer until 9:30. I had just moved and the strap on  my harness make a noise as it rubbed on the bark of the elm I am in. Looking down hill about 30 yards a does head pops up! Shoot It had been there browsing and I hadn't spotted it. The stare off, foot stomping and snorting began. after what seemed like an eternity it finally decided I was nothing and it continued on its path on a trail below    mine. Then I saw her 2 large fawns trailing behind. They went by me at about 20 yards, just below my trail. I sat another hour before heading down. Bumping two different does in different sections of the woods as I made my way back to camp  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
tonight I will head up the bluff in the opposite direction from this am. I have been working hard this year creating new food plots in an old hay field. A buck I call Godzilla has been hitting a rape field. I will be after him for sure. here he is just a few nights ago.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Beautiful piece of land, looking forward to following along.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
This will be enjoyable, I'll be following along. I'm not far from you in southwest Wisconsin, beautiful country isn't it.  Good luck!
-Jay

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Great stuff....keep us in the loop, Beautiful spot you have!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Sounds like a deer hunters dream, enjoy the season and hope you get a good one.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
after a nice lunch and a visit with friends who stopped by a quick nap was had and we were off once again up the trails to the top of the farm

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
My nephew Justin is hunting with me today. He still hunts with wheels but I am working on him! It was a hot walk up to the top. I'll be happy when the 4 wheeler is repaired.It will be make life a lot easier.

this past some summer I worked many hours creating new food plots up on my highest point where there is an old hay field. As we approached the closest one i could see this doe grazing her way away from me.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
here is a shot of the same field after she left.  
all total I have about 5 acres of food plots this top bluff. The idea is to provide lots of food and cover in the center of my farm. Then to not over hunt this part of the farm . I have two areas of steep bluff side below this area that I do not hunt ever leaving it for secure cover for the deer to retreat into.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
more food

I went to  a stand over looking a rape field. this stand is called " bwana stand". Its named after a friend we call bwana because he was the first one to kill a deer out of it.  
got to remember to get rig of that red cord

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
here is the rape field. the stand is in the lower right hand corner  

it was a pleasant afternoon with light winds out of the south. not overly hot. The sun had just set and i heard foot steps behind me. A yearling doe came up  the ridge from behind as expected . Stopped in the shooting lane checked the field for danger and walked on out. I heard bleating behind me and another yearling this one a buck comes trotting in . He lays his ears back and runs at the doe and bullies her for bit. then they both focused on eating and moved to separate  ends of the field.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
after about 20 minutes the buck trotted over the ridge to the next field and the little doe made her way back right under me. She tested the air for a bit and then walked in the direction of the clover field at the far end of my property. Justin sat the clover and saw a total of five deer, Passing ten and twelve yard shots on does. Day one has passed with over 15 deer being sighted between the two of us .Time for bed and back out for day 2.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Another stellar day here in the valley. What is it about the mix of wood smoke and coffee that makes a man feel good?

I knew from the forecast the wind would continue as it had been yesterday out of the south. But standing on the deck of the yurt this am, it sounded like up on the bluff top to be blowing alot harder than predicted.

I decided to return to the bluff I hunted yesterday but to try a stand on the bottom. Down low the action should be earlier and a good trail from the corn passed this treestand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©