3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10804 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Keep it coming .. great stuff!!!

Homework...  learn how to ooze

You're getting closer Jim.... pure envy..  Oh well time for work

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Must be too busy skinning deer to post??

Good problem to have!
CJ

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I wish!

You ever have one of those days when you were just sort of a dumb ass? That was me today.

It was clear and cold and Still this am. Really , Really still. The kind of still that when you take your hand out of your pocket it makes a sound and everything in 100 yards heard you do it!

It had been ten days since I sat way up high in the 23 acre . It felt like the right time to back in there. As I walked down the gravel road, the gravel crunched under my boots. It seem impossible to be quiet. I made my way up into bluff as quickly as possible so the wood would quiet back down.

The sun was a welcome sight. here is El uno shortly after first light  
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
So i had been standing in the stand since before first light. Sort of leaning into the tree on my right side. I decide I had to take a pee. I shifted my weight on to both legs and unzipped my fly. I look down to my right while fumbling with the two layers of long johns and see a little 4 point buck standing right on the trail! He had come around the bend just like I wanted him too and had no idea I was there until he heard the ZIP of my Zipper. He stood at alert looking down the trail. Then he slowly swapped ends and walked back the way he had come from. Now I wouldn't have shot even if I could.  We have an antler point restriction in my zone so he wasn't even legal. But that's not the point. I should have been more alert. He was coming down the trail I wanted deer to travel on and everything! who know what was coming on behind him! That was dumb ass thing #1.

About 9 am I decided to throw in the towel I got no more than 40 yards from my stand and a big bodies deer goes running off down the trail It had pretty good head gear too! Damn! That's two times in a row upon leaving this stand too early I bumped right into a deer on the trail . I know better than to hunt this spot and not stay longer. Dumb ass thing #2

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Now for dumb ass thing #3. ( the whopper of the day)

We had very light wind and it was right to sit over the rape field in the Bwana stand. it had been a week today since Bwana shot a doe out of it. I decided before heading up the hill to climb up into the ladder stand I have in white pine behind the yurt to shoot a few practice arrows Satisfied with my shooting , I changed into my hunting clothes, threw my pack together and was off up the hill. Now its a 1/2 mile walk and its up hill the entire way. I take my time  and 30 minutes later I just below the crest in the old hay field where the food plot is. I take my pack off, drink some water and open the pack. WTH? No harness! After cussing myself out royally, I head back down the hill all the way to the yurt. There my harness  lays on the yurts deck right where i set it when i took it off after practicing! I walk the 1/2 mile back up the hill and its now almost 5 pm. I make my way to the food plot, climb the big oak and settle in. What else Can I screw up today?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Only 3 dumb things in a day.....   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
We haven't had any rain for two weeks straight now and the rape is starting to lose its brilliant green color. The deer are still hammering it though as evidenced by how short it is in the lower center, right in front of the stand! I was hot and tired from my hike. I was having a hard time staying awake in the afternoon sun. After fighting it for about an hour I decide to stand up. Crash off goes a deer that was standing almost right under the tree! Thats Dumb ass thing #4! It  only went about 25 yards down the hill stopped turned around and walked back and stood right behind me. It looked to be the buck fawn from the doe last week that was with the doe that Bwana killed in the is very spot. It never came back into the field. It eventually just wandered off.20 minutes later I hear another deer walking and its his sister the other fawn. She comes out and starts feeding in the rape right below below. I can clearly hear her tearing the leaves and chewing them. Two more does appeared on the crest of the hill. They had come from the other food plot and were now in the top of the field. Another deer is walking down in the forest behind me.But its starting to get dark and I have run out of time. Now I am stuck in the tree with deer around me. I try a trick a friend uses. I wheeze snort. But instead of running,they all just stand there and look up at me in the tree! Dumb ass thing #5!. Finally they split and I shinny down the oak and head on down the hill. I promise  myself on the way down to try and think a little more tomorrow. We shall see if I can keep that promise or not.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
$#it happens, isn't it awesome, redemption comes soon,  :thumbsup:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Good stuff!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Shake it off!  

Good luck today!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Littlebigman, there are days that it just doesnt pay to get out of bed, however now you are due for a few smart moves. Also, if this was easy everyone would do it and we would not want that...

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
no deer were harmed in the making of the following photo

my morning update in a little bit

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
I woke up with a renewed sense of everything is going go right today! 36 degrees with an icy fog in the air here at the bottom of the valley. It looked like a scene from a werewolfe movie as I headed up the logging road. It had been six days since I sat in the stand where I saw all the bucks last week. I just love this spot and know eventually it will be called "Jim's stand.

The sun came up and I was having a hell of a time staying awake. Then it dawned on me. I grabbed the wrong coffee bean container this am. I brewed DECALF! Fortunately a can of Starbucks double espresso was in my backpack! Oh sweet salvation.

At 8 am I saw three sets of legs approaching the food plot from the north. A magnum doe with twins walked into the plot and started to graze. But the doe was obviously nervous about something. She actually circled the little plot while the fawns munched. She exited it on my side quite close to my stand entry trail. She called to the fawns and they trotted to her. I thought to myself if she gives me the perfect shot I will accept it gladly.

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I love this running story line. Makes my day. Sometimes not going hunting is the dumb ass thing to do.... especially when you have a camera hung to show you want walked right by your stand.....when you were not in it.

That would be exactly what I did two mornings ago. I either need to hunt or move the camera. Two bucks there are driving me crazy.

Hope your luck turns.
CJ

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
As she headed down the hill she crossed the trail I am hunting and turned on to it! YES! Walking my way picking up acorns and hickory nuts as she slowly walked she closed the distance to my stand. The trail goes by below me at about 12 yards. I need her to step behind  a tree I have for screening my draw. She was just about there. Suddenly her 6th sense kicked in and she looked up. Staring at me for just a second she turned to look back over her shoulder. I thought I had gotten away with it but something bothered her and she turned a quarter turn down hill and angled away. I had a 20 yard shot but decided not to take it.

Oh so darn close!! I still had another hour to hunt. My heart went back to a normal pulse rate and I relaxed on stand.

30 minutes later I feel my phone vibrate. I check the caller id and see it is one of my staff. I sit down and read his text and respond to it. Sliding the phone into my pocket I catch quick movement coming my way. Its a huge male coyote! Shoot and I am sitting down with my bow hanging up!! Crap. I'll never get away with standing or picking up the bow. He turns to go in the food plot and when his head turns ( he is at 15 yards)away I stand and grab the bow. He hits my scent trail in the plot and reverses course! Running right at my tree I draw El Uno and bury the VPA in the log right behind him! He put on the after burners and was out of there!

I just about got him! That was the very first time i have ever gotten drawn on a coyote and he was so big! no wonder the deer are edgy. It was a great morning!

Got to go get the yurt ready for company. A trad hunter should be here any minute. Maybe we can post some good photos later in the weekend. Should be fun. going to need  the chainsaw to free up the VPA!

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Awesome shot! I mean picture :-)
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Jay arrived around noon. We caught up on each other's news , then shot some arrows! Fun to have another traditional archer to shoot with. We both headed up to the upper food plots but the high pressure and warm temps kept the deer in their beds. Only one fawn was sighted. Hopefully there will be more action in the am!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Lovin this! Good luck this weekend  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Good luck this weekend to you both!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©