3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10815 times)

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Keep it up Jim...Your day is coming!  Makes me long for days on the hunt!!!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
I lived in the LaCrosse area for 10 years. Hunted across the River a time or two. Nice country. Thanks for sharing!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Great stuff Jim!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
An absolutely awesome thread.  That is an amazing piece of turf that you have there.  

When I saw the VPA in the tree I laughed.  I buried a Woodsman in an ash, about the same set of circumstances.  Paying attention to a text on the phone instead of hunting, bow still hanging...

Almost cut the WW out, but decided to leave it as a reminder to pay attention and pick a spot. Of course it also reminds me that I choked on one of the only two for sure BC bucks I have ever been lucky enough to shoot at!

Thanks for the thread and hope it all comes together- Darb

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
It's is such a good thread to follow along.  For those of us who don't get to go daily deer hunting (or any for that matter) keep it up! Love that new bow too. Coco and Osage is a favorite color combo of mine as well!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
If you ever come to stay at my place , here is a word of advice, don't put too much wood in the stove! Got the yurt way too warm last night!! Nothing like waking up feeling like you are sleeping in the sauna!

Today's forecast is for highs in the upper 70's! We hoped to see some deer early today , since its was 43 when we left the yurt and yet another very still morning. Jay decided to hike up on top where all the buck activity was last week and I decided to throw the dice and head back to the a cursed  " Do Over"! Stand. We both experienced identical mornings. Neither one of us saw a single deer! But it was a pleasant morning. Despite the dry conditions the trees are coloring nicely.  
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
This is the top of the big oak that "do  Over"  rests against.  

Several times this am I heard a stick crack or saw the flicker of movement in the timber and and every time it turned out be squirrels!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
We both quit at roughly the same time, returned to the yurt for food and refreshments.

Jay was good enough to get a fire going to  cook some of last years venison  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I am thinking of taking the new bow out hunting tonight. So we shot our bows before the sun climbed too high.   Can't have too much fun shooting, thats for sure!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
it's undecided where we will sit tonight. With temps approaching 80 F I don't expect to see a lot of deer movement. I am thinking we will both hunt some where low, down around the turnips and hope for the best.

The fall flowers are in their full glory. How can anyone not love Autumn?  

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Beautiful Jim....  you're right how can anyone???

Hope it cools a bit for you...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Long range forcast is calling for that cool down to happen later next week.  Hope that along with the moon working away from full gets things brewing...

I'm addicted to this thread - first thing I look for when I check in  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Good Luck Jim!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks again everyone for following along!

Despite overly warm temperatures we both decided we were here to hunt so hunting we would go! I played with my new weapon "Anubis" all afternoon and felt really confident of my set up. Strapped on my favorite quiver and chose the " Squirrel tail" stand for my evening post.  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
This stand sits just inside the timber at the bottom of the ridge above the turnip field I have behind the farm house. I have mowed a trail up thru the old pasture to edge of the woods and then its just 25 yards into woods under some really nice oaks and hickories

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
The mowed trails allow me quiet entry and exits and also the deer tend to use them as well.At the end of the mowed trail the deer trail takes over  
the ladder stand sits in a big oak in the center of this photo. Its hardly noticable  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
the hill behind the ladder is very steep. I have been doing tree release and working on killing invasive species for a couple of years on this hill side. So its become fairly open once you get inside the edge of the woods.

The deer usually run down the hill side and stop and stage in the open areas before heading out into the old pasture and then dropping on down to the field. You can really hear them coming.. They run past the stand and then stop right below you. Last week A hunter I put in this stand was there for only 30 minutes before he killed a doe! Shortest deer hunt ever!  The colors tonight were really something special.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
The deer movement was about what I expected. Just as the sun disappeared behind the western bluff i hear deer running. Two does come down the hill but tonight they are on an adjacent trail about 40 yards from me. They stop and mill about a bit looking out to the hill side below.Once they are sure the coast is clear out they go and on down to the turnips. Later when it is too dark to shoot I hear another deer coming down the hill. It too seemed to pass just a little  further to south from my stand but it is too dark to make it out.

Jay hunted a ladder stand over by my clover field near the hay bale blind. He saw two small bucks and one doe.  He elected not to shoot the doe as he only has the one tag being a nonresident and plans on returning for another hunt during the November rut. The bucks were both 1.5 year olds sporting small 8 point racks!

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©