3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10819 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
The rest of the afternoon i was on high alert as I expected to see more deer. But this darn high pressure is keeping them in their beds until well after sun down. On a good note a new big buck was caught on camera in the food plot just over the rise

This guy looks darn good! Hope to get a better look at him in the day light soon.
Make a life, not a living

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
He does look darn good!! Good luck with him!! Should be closer to good daylight movement every day!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bogenjager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
In the yurte I would  move in smoothly from the autumn to the spring. why is there such a thing in Germany. absolutely cool.
Regards Thomes   :archer2:
PCH II 58" 42#@28"
Zipper S-Hunter 58" 40#@28
Thunder Child 56" 45#@28

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
I woke to an icy fog lying in the bottom of our valley. It was really temping to stay in the sleeping bag or  to sit by the fire and drink coffee

Since I am already typing this you can surmise I wasn't out that long! I took it easy on myself and made a short walk to the stand near the yurt.  No one had sat in it for 10 days or more. The morning came with out any deer on the trail and since the day is supposed to be really hot, that didn't bother me too much! In fact I plan on skipping this afternoons hunt due to the heat/ I'll be focused on the cold front due in tomorrow. if the wind is from the N or NW and isn't too strong I plan on making my way up to the top of Rattlesnake ridge. I'll let you know tomorrow how that works out. Have a good day everyone.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: October 03, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Finally got a morning off to catch up with this thread. The farm is looking great Jim, you'v really done a great job!

I can't wait to get out there to hunt with you, its all im thinking about, now that elk season is over.

Some great bucks getting around there, and no one deserves to have one walk by the stand more then you, this is your year. I can feel it!

Will call latter today.

P.s. looks like ill be getting another case of handwarmers from walmart.....can't have this African freezing his ass off up a tree again   :D
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
its only a matter of days now Andy!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Lucky you Andy!!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Just finished reading through this thread. It surely is a good one!

:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Great thread, look forward to it daily!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
I think you might be on to something taking this afternoon off Jim.  I just arrived at our cabin this afternoon  and am  sitting on the front lawn right now soaking up some rays and enjoying the October splendor.  Seems like a perfect place to stay.  Pretty warm to be dealing with a deer today.
 Better hunting days are on the way!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Great thread, best of luck to you.  :campfire:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
yes Whip I think i chose the correct stand to day. The back porch  for me! Hopefully you are right but the rain i was hoping for seems to have gone elsewhere. Looking  forward to cooler temps. Thanks everyone and good luck to you all on your hunting adventures.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I was really torn as to where to go this am. There are a couple of AM spots that have yet to host a hunter this season. A mental flip of the coin put me back in the ultra view stand. This stand is just up above the creek that runs  in between the road and the corn field I rent out.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Just after first light before the wind kicked up I can hear splashing down in the creek. It sounds like several deer are crossing below me just to the right of what I can see. If there was a good tree for a  stand down there I'd have one but there simply is not a spot to put one. Hoping they were on the way up to bed I slowly stood and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally I hear a stick crack. But it is up above me over my left shoulder. A deer had winded me  and was on the run. I caught just a glimpse of it as it hurried up the hill. I am not sure it wasn't just traversing the bluff or it could have been one crossing the creek that came up to my right and was angling its way up the bluff. Its very heavy cover down below me and to my right but I would have thought if it was one coming from below that I would have heard it before then!

The wind came up later and the Birches , Aspens and Hickories began to rain their leaves down on top  of me. The Birches were like giant dandelions gone to seed and some kid blowing them apart! I thought for sure i'd see more deer this am. But the deer had a different idea.

The wind is gusting this afternoon from the WNW at about 20 MPH.I was going to sit up on top but the wind is too strong. i'll save that area for tomorrow. Instead I'll hang down low tonight and hope to catch one on its way to the turnips.

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
If it were me I would build a ground blind near that creek they just crossed. But I am partial to the ground.
I love this thread and have been following this from the start.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
BTW your property is just flat plain BAD TO THE BONE!
I'm jealous.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
no sights, that is a good idea!

So tonight is one of those nights when it is very hard to decide what to do. With the wind blowing as hard as it was, it would have been impossible to sit for very long up on top. You just can't dress warm enough. But in gusty conditions, up top is the only place you get a true wind. The gusts tend to come down one side of the bluff wrap around the bottom and go right back up the opposite side! such was the case tonight. I chose a stand above the turnip field where a NW wind should be right in my face. Except when I got in the stand the gust would blow my scent in the completely opposite direction! My wind detectors had me hoping the scent was going up high enough to go over the trail the deer should be coming down

I wonder how big these would be if we had had  normal rainfall amounts this year!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I got in the ladder quite early. I chose the big old birch below the hidden clover field in Apple Alley

I dressed extra warm despite the fact the temp was still 53 degrees when I headed out

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
It got cold! At 5.30 a little buck I see quite often came out of the bedding area and went to the crab apple tree up to my left about 45 yards from the stand. He monkeyed around under the tree  for a while then disappeared in the direction of the turnips. I was keeping an eye open on the trail that comes down from the clover field expecting to see deer legs at any moment. I had been standing for the longest time with my right shoulder leaning against the tree.. I decided to rotate slightly so i could occasionally look down to the turnips and see if deer were coming down from the other side of the valley. Not a deer to be seen! When I turned to look back up hill I caught movement down in front of me. That darn little buck had come back and I hadn't heard him! He caught my  movement and turned and ran about 25 yards up hill and then stood there and snorted a few times. He wasn't 100% sure of what he had seen. He slowly walked off in the direction of the clover. 1/2 an hour later it was time to get down. I snuck out in case a deer had come late to the turnips but did not see any. AS I was walking through the meadow and was about 30 yards from the yurt a deer suddenly broke cover and scared the liver out of me as it snorted and ran off in the dark!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©