3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10882 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #380 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
It was still quite mild as I headed up the logging road today. I had tried to dress down so i wouldn't overheat . But, I still succeeded in soaking my kuiu
top and bottom with sweat.  I went all the way up and around to a stand that has only been hunted two times this season. Neither time by me. This stand needs a south wind to hunt it properly and I had one today. I am embarrassed to say that the name of this stand is the "email stand". It got its name two seasons ago when I was looking at an email when I should have been looking at the deer trail! A big one got away that day. Its one of those memories you hate to replay!

the stand sits on a little knob just below the top
of the ridge. You can catch deer coming up from the bottoms or cruising the bluff top contours scent checking for does. here are my views from on stand.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I have done alot of invasive cutting up here along with some tree release. Some nice really nice young white oaks have benefited greatly. Anything still green at this time of years is an invasive of some kind the green you see below me is a nasty patch of buck thorn.

Just as the the Eastern sky was showing orange I heard an animal running my way. A very light colored , and on the small side coyote was cruising by at 20 yards. Too bad I saw it too late to do anything about it. I spent the morning watching intently in all directions and rattling lightly every 30 minutes. But for a third time this week , I got skunked and returned to the yurt without so much as seeing a deer's hair. Didn't jump any either.
Had to stop to enjoy this view on the way down.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: October 17, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the time you put in keeping us updated.  We appreciate coming along with you on your hunts.  Ken

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
All of the conditions to see and kill a deer tonight seemed perfect. The wind was light and steady. Just enough to cover the sounds of a bow hunter drawing his bow. The sky was scudding low moister filled clouds and gave the appearance of a November rutting type of day. I got into the Dallas stand and noticed a new rub on one of the two Aspens in front of the stand. I had counted 5 new scraps in the mowed trail as I walked tot eh stand. I pulled the SD card of the camera as I passed and noticed there were 359 photos on the card!

So as I sat in the stand and the afternoon passed without so much as peep being heard or a hair being seen, I was just a tad disappointed on the walk back home.

Here a two photos for your viewing enjoyment. The bucks seem to still be in large groups. I think the deer like what I have planted.

Diner time

lodge brothers meeting

That is Godzilla to the left of center

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: October 17, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
one more

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Only a matter of time! Thanks for the updates  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Checking that trail cam would be a thrill. Kinda strange to me that those bucks would be together this time of year.
Love that feather tucked into your strap on. Hope you don't mind if I steal that idea. I'm big on feathers.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm with steadman, only a matter of time until one of those boys gives you a chance...   :thumbsup:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
I had every intention of heading up top and hunting for the first time over a buck decoy. But the wind was wrong for that spot so I decided to head over to  the cursed "do Over" stand. Walking up the logging road in the dark I jumped at least 4 different deer. I was surprised they were in their beds so early. that normally isn't a problem.

It started to lightly rain at 7 am. At 8 am I looked  up the ridge and coming down the steep part about 60 yards away was the body of a deer. When it stepped behind a blow down 45 yards  uphill ,I removed El Uno from the hanger. The deer was on a dead head approach to my stand.  It looked like a young doe. I had every intention of  trying to finally break the string of bad luck this stand carries and had the deer broadside at 7 yards. Too bad it turned out to be a buck fawn. Killing deer in their first season just isn't in my management plan. Who knows this could be the B & C buck I kill in 2017. He walked  on by never knowing I was just above him.

I wont be able to hunt again until next Tuesday. Family and Professional obligations are going to have my focus until then.

I hope everyone gets out over the next few days and have some stories to post for me to read when I get back.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
:wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Great trail cam shot jim.... Lots of potential now and in the future!!!

Keep at it  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I've spent the last three days reading this....What a great story!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Wheres the update!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: October 21, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Jim posted that he won't be able to hunt again until Tuesday.  I'm going through withdrawals...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: October 21, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Yes me too .  I look forward to reading the updates and seeing the great pictures almost everyday.  Keep them coming Jim.  Good luck and shoot straight

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: October 21, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Jim I'm really enjoying following you hunt this year don't stop posting.Larry
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Packed and ready for 5 Pines. Via some Compton budys in Nebraska.
See you in a couple days Jim... Hopefully ill arrive just in time to help track a Big one!

Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Got home tonight just in time to shoot a few practice arrows. I don't care what the weather is doing, I'll be in a stand somewhere in the am!!  Big cold front moving in for later in the week , its going to start getting good. Time to make plans for all day sits.........

Safe travels Andy . See you at the yurt!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Good luck guys  :thumbsup:  looking forward to more updates
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Woohoo, more updates!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©