3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10773 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
here is my view from the stand.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
You can see where the logging road comes in and takes a 90 degree turn to the left. The road continues on just on the very inside of the woods.  Down below is the county road and across the road my stream and cornfield.

About 7.15 I could hear but not see a deer close by. It was out in the grass just out side the edge of the wood and was making snuffling noises.  I realized it had smelled my foot prints and was hesitating to come up into the woods. More snuffling and then heads and legs could be seen moving thru the screen of brush. Not one but four does, one a magnum and one a fawn came into the woods skirting the actual entrance and coming in just to the right of my shooting lanes.  Going to have to figure out a away not to let that happen again. The wind was in my face and they angled up and away to my right, heading up to bed.  About an hour later I was lost in thought when a deer snort just about sent  me out of the tree!! How the heck did a doe get right behind me and I didn't hear it?  it was ten yards behind and above me when it crossed my wind. As it turned i saw that two more were trailing it a short distance back. End of story!

The DNR says there are less does this year and have reduced the number of management (antlerless) tags to just one in addition to your regular tag, down from the Four we used to get. It may just be my little valley  but in 1.5 days of hunting we have now seen 22 does!

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Keep it coming, this is good stuff.

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Great thread!! I can't wait to hear more!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
22 does in a day and a half.......I envy you!! Keep the adventure coming....your doing a great job!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, really enjoying it
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
This is a great thread! I'm really enjoying it and appreciate you taking the time to take us along...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
two words describe tonight's hunt. Rattle Snake.
I hunted on the opposite side of the valley tonight here is the view from my stand.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Do you see the nice corner across the valley in the green hillside on the prior picture ?. That's where I was this am. The four does were just on the edge of the woods where the logging roads goes in at the corner when they smelled my boot prints. The stand I am in tonight is a lone wolf hang on in a nice oak at the edge of the old pasture. This old pasture is full of wild apple trees. This year there is not much fruit due to the lack of rain.
   this is looking up thru the pasture

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
i love how this stand is hidden

but it still may not be in the right tree. This is a killer spot, one where we have killed quite a few does. I switched out a ladder stand this spring because  nine times out of ten you would get picked off drawing your bow. But now its too close to the trail that comes down off of the bluff. There were does up on their feet early despite the warm temps. I saw the first three at 5 pm. One cool thing about hunting steep hillsides is when looking up hill, deer moving thru cover that is 6 or 7 feet tall can be easily seen due to the pitch of the hillside. A lot of times you will see a head or antlers moving thur above the brush. I learned to position my stands  so I can see uphill with having to turn around.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
That was the case tonight. All though those deer didn't go by me and they were too far away to hear, I got to enjoy watching them browse for a half hour!
here is the view looking up

that elm in the middle used to hold the laddrer

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
So this stand is great for observing deer, they were across the valley , in the pasture below me and I could count 6 in the neighbor's Brassica field just across from my clover field on my northern border!
When the thermals changed I got winded twice by does making their way thru the apple trees just below me.Darn!

I had been eyeballing another oak tree about 20 yards away that would give me most of the visibility this stand has and a better shot at the main trail coming off the bluff. It was quitting time anyway and I decide to shoot a blunt down onto the deer trail below me and was then going to take a closer look at this tree. My head lamp was in the bottom of my pack but it wasn't that dark yet so I lowered the bow and put my pack on and climbed on down. Grabbed the bow took three steps over to my arrow , Bending at the waist to grab it I recoiled at the sound of a timber rattler buzzing inches from arrow in forest litter! Holy $$%%! I have occasionally seen a snake here and there the last 6 years but never have I run into one in the dark on the deer trail before! I  picked up a size able stick and tossed it in the direction of the buzzing. Then i was able to pick up the snakes body movement in the low light. I oozed forward grabbed the end of the blunt and sprinted out of there! I'll have to go back and checkout that other tree in the daylight!

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
How much did you pay for your farm

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Cool place Jim.  I need to make a road trip for a visit one of these times when I'm up at my cabin.  I don't think we're all that far apart.  How far are you from LaX?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
any time whip! 30 minutes max1

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »
Thanks for letting us share your hunt. Good luck on getting one of the big boys

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
Except for the Rattler, your place might as well be here in Nova Scotia. We've got 250 acres, 100 yr.+ old farm house, Barred Owls and lots of does and some excellent buck genetics. The topography looks familiar as well.
Great read along, thanks for taking the time.
Good luck on the bucks.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »
I didnt realize that Minnsesota was that rolling even though ive been through it a couple of times. Looks alot like this part of MI. Very enjoyable playxplay.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Awesome adventure, best of luck. I'm pretty sure you live directly above some good friends of mine.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Great thread   Best of luck !  Your "livin the Dream "     Good for you and God bless you and  your adventures !  
   Cant wait to read more .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©