3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10881 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Good Luck Jim. Rain and hot here in Central WI  but deer are definitely more active than they are back east.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Time to hunt again! Things should be heating up!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
it was in the mid 50.s this am!! that"s a full 30 degrees warmer then some of the mornings we had a month ago! Very foggy . Cant wait for the cold front to blow in Thursday.

With an East wind my stand selections were greatly reduced this morning. But an East wind is perfect for the "Joel" stand a short walk from the door of the yurt. I was anxious to get out. Hell it felt like opening day all over again!

I was in the stand early, well ahead of 1st light. In the darkness I heard steps approaching. A deer passed directly behind me and I waited for the anticipated snort of alarm that never came. Some how I did not get winded when I sure should have.

It slowly got light enough to see down the hill to the road and the creek and picked corn field. An Eagle cried and just as I looked up it came soaring down the ridge from above me and roosted in the big cotton wood along side the creek. Then a second landed as well. The local crows were not happy! Hope the cats are paying attention today.

About 8 am I caught a small movement down below me on the mowed trail I walk in on. Yup there was deer coming uphill. Then I saw a second. At first glance I thought they were twin fawns but then it was clear that the first deer was the adult followed by this springs fawn.

They appeared to be on alert. Despite the rubber boots i have on they were totally aware of my passing by 2 hours earlier. Finally they were on the 4 wheeler approach and a short 10 yards shy of my first shooting opportunity.  I adjusted the position of my bow ever so slightly. The doe spotted the movement and stopped. Looking at me up in the stand she slowly turned to leave. I gave myself hell for making such a rookie mistake. She moved onto the mowed firebreak and headed north parallel to the logging inside the woods edge. But then she stopped and angled back into the woods, crossed the logging road and was heading my way once again. The trail she was on would give me a broadside shot if I turned to my left. I glanced down at my feet to be sure I could turn with out issue and she caught that head movement ! Damn! Another rookie error! This time she'd had it and turned and trotted away down the logging road snorting an alarm as she went. The fawn raced after it's momma.

I stayed another hour but nothing else was seen. I am hoping that the rain holds off to give me an afternoon in the woods. Going to head up to the Buddha food plot!
Make a life, not a living

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: October 23, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

Nice to have my morning read back Jim

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: October 23, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
O how many times have I made that rookie mistake!   :banghead:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
The  fog hung low in the valley as I set off this afternoon. My target was the stand just off the north side of the Buddha food plot.

I had hoped the dark overcast skies wold get the deer up on their feet a little earlier today. But the overly warm temps Kept them in their beds. At 6 pm a small 4 point buck wandered into the food plot from the south side. I knew at once he would wind me and it only took about 2 minutes before he threw up his head and pranced back towards the way he had come from. Last time i sat up here I had sat in the ladder off the East side of the plot and watched three different bucks go right past this stand. But not tonight. Heck it was 66 degrees still at 7 pm!  One more day and then the temp should plummet . Tomorrow may be a bust but I'll be out there never the less!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
its supposed to drop into a low of the mid 20's thursady jim  :readit:  Good luck  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Must be nice 80's here all week.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I had  misgivings about even getting up today knowing the temp would still be near 60 at sunrise. But you know the old saying, " you can't kill a buck if you are in bed".

I stepped off the deck of the yurt and a sound caught my ear. Breaking brush! lots of it and close by too! Somewhere within 100 yards of the yurt two bucks were having a good old fashioned knock down drag out brawl! The smashing, twisting and grinding of antlers mixed with labored breathing and lots of sticks cracking. My guess was they were in the brush line alone the creek bottom 60 yards or so from where I stood. It lasted for about 5 minutes and then all was still.

I headed to my stand with a new attitude despite record am temps! I headed up to the upper ladder in apple alley. This spot between the two high points behind the house is a great place to try and call in bucks.

My third rattling session brought  the desired results. 10 minutes after i rattled a buck coming down off of the rattlesnake ridge picked up on something he didn't like about the setup and reversed course at about 60 yards from me. I can't say for certain what spooked him as the wind was in my favor and i had not made any noise. But when they are above you like that any little movement seems to get picked up and most  likely that is what happened.

There is a stand about 75 yards below where I sat today that is  a rut stand. I haven't hunted it yet but will do so in the coming days.  I pulled the SD card on the camera as i headed in and here is what was there this past monday at 7 am
<  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: October 24, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »

This cold snap should turn them on.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Hope you get to introduce yourself to that buck! Very nice.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Hope you get a shot at that big boy! Again, appreciate you taking us along! thanks
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: October 24, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Man he is just begging to get an arrow flunged at him in that first photo there..Hope you can put a tag on him cause he's just tormenting your trailcam...  :p

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: October 24, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
well I got weathered out tonight and tomorrow doesn't look good till late in the day. But I'll put Andy on a stand somewhere tomorrow evening. Got to see the VPA ILF in action before the rain. Fast bow but not exactly a widow....... but then I am not a metal riser type of guy.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: October 24, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Looks like a target-rich environment to me!

Drop the string on a big-un!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
I've been moving the last few days and have missed these updates.  Caught up now and ready for the cold front to hit; I have a feeling the bucks will be cruising.  
I'm finally taking a few days to hunt my lease next week and this thread has kept me going until the time I can hit the woods again.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
According to the radar you're getting the same rain we are up here, I'll bet you sleep in this morning...LOL.  

Supposed to clear out later today.  Tomorrow and the weekend look great.  Below freezing in the morning, light but steady winds, things are going to get fun.

Good luck, the next week should be good!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
3.5 inches of rain in the rain gauge . It was lightening on and off from 11 pm last night to 7 am today!! Still raining as I type. Hoping for a break late in the  day to do a little hunting tonight. I am pumped for the weekend!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Go get em.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
It's on now!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©