3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #480 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Good luck guys.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: October 31, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Well after an uneventful morning, Andy and I shot our bows, put our feet up for a bit then headed up once again for a chance encounter with a big buck . Andy went to the Ivy stand and I returned to the Dallas stand with a Montana whitetail decoy in hand

I set the decoy up about 30 yards up hill from my spot. The weather was just outstanding. But the deer movement was nonexistent. Nothing at all was moving anywhere. I heard a single grunt down below me in the timber but never saw the source. I did bump into three different deer in the dark as I walked back to our meet up spot. Andy confirmed that fact the deer weren't moving , he got skunked as well.

Tomorrow am is his last chance at a Minnesota buck as he has to hit the road at mid day.
Make a life, not a living

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: October 31, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Have really enjoyed this thread from day one Jim.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: November 01, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Well try as we might Andy's hunt has ended with out a shot at a buck . We both got skunked again this am. Deer movement was null. I think the big bucks all have does and are simply holding them tight. A neighbor sent me a text that a big buck was on the hill across from his house standing in the prairie grass with a doe at 7 30 am. About 500 yards from where I was on stand today. I will be out again this afternoon somewhere/ Can't decide if i should be on a trail in the woods or on the edge of a food plot.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: November 01, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I think that's what happens when things go quiet at this time of year. Bucks get paired up and aren't all over the place like when seeking/chasing.
Still time yet. Picking the spot to be is a real mind game though...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
And I'd go with the food plot edge. Sometimes seems like the does want to show off their "man". Out in the open.
TOM

Wendell Berry

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
It's been the same for the last four days here...  Very little movement and a full moon doesn't help...  It's gonna bust loose soon., Wish Andy could have been there when it did.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: November 01, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Just finally started reading this thread a couple days ago and now can't stop.  Great job!  Keep it coming and good luck!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: November 01, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Deer movement a little better tonight. With a fairly strong west wind but a forecast that called for it to die down at sunset, I chose the Squirrel's tail stand. I got in a little later than I like but was on post by 4 pm. At 4:30 a small doe comes running down from above me. Hits my scent stream and puts on the breaks. Indecisive for just a second and turns heading north back up the ridge to  my right.

At 5:30 I watched as my wife backed the car out of the garage for a trip to town. Shortly after I saw a very large and very white rack down below me and to the south about 75 yards away. The buck was moving up along a fence line heading somewhere up above but to the south of me. I grunted once, twice and he turned my way. He angled up hill heading to a trail that would take him above me. Stopping at 45 yards, he stared downhill in my direction looking for the source of the grunts. Not seeing another buck he turned and started to walk away. I risked another wheeze snort but this time turned my head away from him. He spun around and stood there. then he began working uphill and around to the north. Finally he hit my scent stream and off he goes snorting and blowing as he ran. I can still see that big white rack floating uphill thru the brush. That's what we spend hours and hours waiting  for a few seconds of crazy excitement. Hoping for a good day in the morn.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Sounds like your having fun!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: November 02, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
That's more like it!  So close, yet so far away.  Those are the moments that make it all worthwhile.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Another frosty am!! Wind was light and perfect to sit in the Andy Ivy stand. Zero deer movement until 9:30 am when I has a 1.5 year old 6 point walk by at only 3 yards from my tree! Very cool to see them so very close!!  I did have something really cool happen. At 8 :30 A red tail hawk comes soaring in at about 4 feet off the ground and sails by so that I was actually above him!! You don't get to many chances to look down on a soaring hawk!! It land in a tree next to me with his back to me and sat there for about 10 minutes

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: November 02, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Wont be long now!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: November 02, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
6:08 PM...  Shootin time.....  

:coffee:

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Time for our nightcap   :D    :campfire:
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Good stuff Jim.  Keep it up!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
I went up to the 90 degree corner spot. Not having hunted it since Oct 11th I was hopeful a buck might be cruising this ridge top trail for a hot does scent. I saw two does below me in the timber early and then just as dusk was approaching a doe and a fawn appeared about 70 yards west of me in the tall grass headed up to feed in the forage oats.  The wind was twitchy tonight and would not stay constant for more than a few minutes at a time. It may have had a negative impact on tonight's deer sightings or i could have just picked the wrong place to be!

Recapping the season exactly 6 weeks of hunting have passed. I have taken two shots, one a complete miss the other hitting a doe in the shoulder.  Shots have been hard to come by of late. Other than immature bucks it seems I am having a tough time getting a doe back in front of me or a good buck to come close enough.

Tomorrow is the start of a long and torturous gun season . Bow season runs concurrent with the slug hunters but the deer movement will take a  change for the worse. It is such a shame that Minnesota is the only Midwest state that will allows gun hunting in early November. So much for managing the deer best for the deer herd.Those trophy bucks need to be in the woods spreading their seed, not hanging in some meat locker.  I'll try not to be a whiner the next 4 weeks I promise. Fortunately for me I control what goes on here and I will do my best to hunt only the interior of the farm and to not push deer off on to waiting gun guys who like to sit on my fences. They have at least 7 stands that are actually in trees the fence lines are fastened to!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: November 02, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Lets hope that the gun frenzy pushes them to 5 Pines not out of the county....   hang in there Jim

:campfire:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
You're lucky if people will stay off your land. Mines well posted, but I meet "unauthorized" hunters every year. Unfortunately our boundary lines aren't recognized by the deer.
Like coaster says, hang in there. You'll get it done.
TOM

Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©