3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10859 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #520 on: November 06, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Good luck!! I'm still enjoying your season. Thanks for the updates and pics  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #521 on: November 07, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Did he show up this morning???????
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #522 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Nope! I sat in the funnel just above the turnips but not a deer was in sight. Texting some of my fellow hunters in Iowa and Wisconsin I learned that basically everybody is experiencing lock down now.

So I revalued what I was doing and decided  to set up on one of the food plots up top. Hoping a buck will have spun off a doe and be cruising the food sources looking for a new love interest. I set the deek up too just in case he was ready to fight.

At 4 pm i noticed a deer in the rape field about 60 yards up from me. Apparently a young doe or fawn. Then two spring fawns crested the hill top and the larger of the two did not like the looks of the decoy! It started stomping and then hightailed it up the mowed trail spooking the other deer out of the rape field as well.

That was it for deer tonight. There were several late shotgun blasts somewhere in the valley. Never ceases to amaze me how you can shoot a shot gun at a deer when you can hardly see your hand in front of your face.

Tomorrow its back down to the water hole or perhaps the bowl in back where that slugger Crabclaw was last Saturday morn.
Make a life, not a living

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #523 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
The new moon soon Jim...  the lock downs kind of late for you, right?

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #524 on: November 08, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Still in lock down mode. Saw two does only this am and I managed to move at exactly the wrong time. I hadn't seen them till they spooked.

Gusty south wind this afternoon got to decide where to go.........

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #525 on: November 08, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
suppose to drop down to around 10 mph by 4! It is starting to pick up again over here! Chasing pretty hard right at dark last night and have had a bunch of deer/vehicle claims today from last night!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
while doing some chores around the yurt at 12 :30 I looked down the picked and chopped corn field and saw a young buck running with his nose to the ground. he went up the side hill and zigzagged his way up to the timber his nose never more then 6 inches off the ground. Now that is what a deer hunter loves to see.!!

I decided to hunt the far SW corner of the farm in the cedar tree now affectionately known as the possum stand.  For awhile the wind was really switching back and forth. But finally around 4 pm it settled down and was perfect for this spot. If ever there was a night when I expected to see a buck , it was tonight. But it seems I have lost my mojo as there was nothing to watch but the birds in the cedars. walking out there were 1/2 a dozen deer in the food plot about midway down the field. Tomorrow if I go up top i will remember to get a photo of the food plot. its just amazing that about 1/3 of one field is nothing but stalks. The deer have stripped the leaves off clean!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Good Luck Jim.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #528 on: November 09, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
While I didn't shoot a deer today it was an entertaining morning. I decided to hunt in the "sure thing" stand. Andy ivy was the last one to hunt out of it back on 10/30. I always question the best way to access this stand. Do I walk down the gravel road and then cut up the hillside or do I walk up in the old pasture and follow the edge of the timber all the way to the stand.? I am never sure which way may alert more bedded deer. Today I chose the road, it seemed like the quieter approach.

Once again I was very dismayed at the number of gun shots fired in the valley before it was legal to shoot. I counted seven. Hell the first four went off when it still so dark I couldn't see the forest floor from my stand!! There are some real SOBS out there.

Any way the first deer I spotted was right at first light. It was down below me about 100 yards walking on the mowed trail I walked on once i got off the road. It had its nose down and was either trailing a doe or me. Ended up being me. It finally got a nose fill and took off like a race horse in the other direction.

Shortly after turkeys roosted up above me on rattlesnake ridge started to talk. The hens were really vocal. A young tom tried his first gobble. Sounded like a gobble crossed with a yodel! I laughed out loud then  I remembered where I was!

They started bailing out and one soared all the way down to other side of the valley and into the timber above the prairie grass!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #529 on: November 09, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Listening to the turkeys talk I noticed three deer walking in the mowed fire break on the opposite side of the valley.  They were moving right to left and heading right for the stand over there!. Darn!@! But I should have paying attention over here in stead.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #530 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
I heard the smallest noise and looked down past my arrow point and the torso of a deer was in that little gap beneath that first oak you see in the above photo. it had stopped and apparently was on to me. The thermals were still dropping my scent down hill and she had me all ready. She turned and then I saw a 2nd doe behind her as well. Darn They were coming right where I needed them!! A second later they went flagging down the hill, crossed the creek , then the road and up the other side of the valley. After a week of getting shot at by the gun hunters there is zero tolerance with scent or noise now.

9 am came and it was time to head in to work. I bumped one fawn from its bed and found this rub on the way in. Hope the dude who made it is still walking the earth.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Didn't hunt last night went to dinner with the Mrs. instead.

Jay Cornell (old lodge skins ) on trad gang came back to hunt. He has a story to tell and will share it upon his return home tomorrow. Until then here is a teaser.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Look at the body on that Brute!!!

Can't wait to hear the story   :)

To many deer at 5 pines ... somebody had to connect !!!! Congrats!!!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
What a hog of a buck!  Looking forward to the full details on that one!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
That is one fine buck!

Lookin' forward to the story.

Enjoy the feast!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
That thing has a HUGE body, and the bone is not bad either. Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I can imagine how this one starts....

So Jim takes the night off, I decide to sit his favorite stand....   :rolleyes:    :smileystooges:    

What a nice Buck!  Looking forward to the story!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
one more teaser

he made an excellent shot and had an excellent guide!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Way to go!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
"and had an excellent guide!"

No doubt  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©