3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10861 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #540 on: November 11, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
record high temps ( 70 degrees!) high winds and a deer to butcher quickly kept me out of the woods last night. Heavy rain and wind kept me in the yurt drinking coffee and sharing stories with a good friend today.  The forecast calls for the temps to drop all day and the rain to turn to snow tonight. A low of 29 is expected.

I plan on being down in the water hole ( now known as the Jay stand) tomorrow am. Yesterday the guy was covered up in bucks!
Make a life, not a living

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: November 11, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Jim,

I must say this tread has kept me going as I also pursue the quarry, a very good read.

And I must salute you for your great hospitality, while you play host to many a hunter and ensure that their dreams are fulfill, you yourself is yet to be satisfied, but good things come to those who wait.

Here’s to Jim Gilmer! And a prayer for your dreams to be fulfilled!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Hey Jim,
    Suppose to clear up a little this afternoon! Get in there tonight! Should be awesome! Enjoy the posts brother and congrats to your friend!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: November 12, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Oldlodgeskins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Saturday was indeed a day to remember in the timber at 5 pines. I don't really like hunting shows on tv because they are not realistic but this particular day I would not have beleived if I hadn't been there to see it.

It does show what one hot doe in an area will do to the resident buck population especially at a place where there are so many mature bucks.

Anyway... had a nice talk with Jims nephew Justin in the yurt before sleep on friday night.  Jim rousted us out early on saturday and we discussed where we'd sit based on wind.  I chose the top of the north east ridge but when I got to the "fork" point in the access trail I decided I'd be better off in the valley so I chose the water-hole stand.  

After cliimbing up and getting settled I heard crashing of anlters and breaking of brush in the thicket near the water hole.  I have seen and heard deer fighting before but this battle was obviously between two brutes!!  They continued for 45 min or so on and off and I considered a stalk while they faught but thought better of it.  In the mean-time several (three) smaller bucks patrolled the area and passed within shooting distance.  Two yearling basket racked bucks and a decent 120 or so buck.  I was hoping one of the two combatants would wonder my way.  I'd gladly take on the loser, I thought to myself.

Anyway they stopped and things settled down.  After a bit seveal gun shots range out to the north and east very close to my position and a few min later a comotion started in that direction as deer ran the ridge above me.  One I could see two bucks and realized one was a monster and the other was a nice but much smaller buck.  The smaller came towards me on a trot and I could see he was limping and in fact had a broken front leg.  He "ran" under me and stopped slightly quartering away.  At this point I had no idea what the bigger deer was doing and in fact figured he had left.  I decided to shoot the lame deer and at 10-12 yds put an arrow high in the lungs.  It turned and crashed up the hill from where it had come.  I took a deep breath and knew it was dead.  I was about to climb down and heard a deer again and looked in time to see the huge buck trotting my way.  He passed right under me and kept right on going.  I was sick that I had just shot a small buck (injured or not) and had a clear shot at a monster.

I took a few more deep breaths and climbed down the tree.  I then heard more comotion up where my deer had crashed and through the binoculars could see yet another monster buck trying to pick a fight with my dead deer.  He was shoving him with his rack.  I did not want to spook this buck and turned to climb back up in the stand to let the woods settle a bit more.  I never saw what became of the buck that was shoving mine.  Whew!!  Jim came after a series of text messages and though I felt bad about a dead "average" deer he quickly slapped me on the back and made me feel better about doing the right thing.  Anyway....I can't tell you the level of appreciation I have.

We took pictures....tagged...gutted....skun and worked until dark and Jim gave up his afternoon hunt to help.

What a day.  Thanks Jim.

Jay

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
You did the right thing killing the buck with the injury!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Oldlodgeskins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I have to say that yes it was the right thing to do especially after I saw the extent of the deers injury.  I should also mention that it did not appear that the injury was from a gun shot.  Most likely a car collision.  

Anyway...yes it was the right thing.

Jay

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
You did the right thing and not every one would have....  That deer is a horse and a deer to be proud of  :)

Congrats !!!!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
You know you're in a special place when you end up wondering "what if" after taking a fine buck like that!  
Congratulations on a beautiful deer!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: November 12, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Old lodge skins you are first class in my book for taking the injured buck and not being greedy. You are welcome at 5 pines anytime!

One hot doe makes all the difference, as I can tell you. I sat in jay's stand today for 6.5 hours and saw one buck fawn! While I did hear a brief buck fight down in the same thicket that Jay did I never saw another deer. It was cold too and snowing!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
it was fifty degrees colder today than on Saturday!

At 12:30 My feet were aching with cold I decided to climb down and head up to the upper fields to possibly sit over the decoy.

When I got to the top I realized how windy it really  was and after a bite to eat I changed plans. Knowing I'd never last till dark, I headed down to the yurt for a quick cup of coffee , some dry socks and perhaps a practice arrow or two.

Half way down to the yurt who should jump up out of a bed with a lovely doe? None other than GODZILLA!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I was maybe 20 yards from him when he jumped up. I had had the benefit of gusty winds in my favor and wet leaves to boot! he never heard me till I was right on him Its a pity I wasn't more alert as the spot they were bedded was quite in the open. Had I been looking I am sure I could have spotted them before they spooked. But it was great to finally lay eyes on that buck. I have never seen him in the flesh until today! I am so glad he is still alive!

I was in the Joel Stand by 2 :45 and spent the rest of the day on high alert. But I got skunked! not a hair of a deer did I see. . Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for deer movement!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Most-excellent sighting!

Deer activity will hopefully be in your favor tomorrow!

:pray:    :pray:    :pray:  

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline barms700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Nice deer Jay! Huge bodied deer! Nice to see both your skill/gamesmanship & Jim's efforts of building 5 Pines came together that day. I'm sure you know better than I (from my hunting with Jim) he gets a huge charge out of seeing a friend take a nice deer off the property. Excellent work! Another black hash mark on the pole under the BUCK catagory!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: November 13, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
GODZILLA!!

Now wouldn't that be something  :)

:coffee:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: November 13, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Well he didn't show up today!!!

It was clear , quiet and cold. Very cold ! 16 degree F! The forest floor being wet from the last two days froze solid. Walking to my stand today was like walking across sheets of peanut brittle! no matter how hard I tried to camo my approach every critter in the valley heard me today. I decided to hunt low near where I jumped Godzilla. After the woods settled down a bit I did a few series of hard rattles ( the wife heard me down at the house). At 7:30 a young buck cruised by above me about 50 yards. he was on a does trail from the way it looked.

After that nothing. My feet were quite cold by 8 30 and i headed in. Coming out of the timber i saw a buck across the valley standing in the sun watching me. Hard to say how big but I could see antlers with the naked eye.

Forecast is for a nice afternoon. I am planning on sitting in the Bwana stand tonight and i am going to kill a deer!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Good luck!!!

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: November 13, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
That the attitude I like to hear!!! Go get em!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: November 13, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Awesome, the power of positive thinking, I will check back tonight after my daughters Volleyball practice to read all about it.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©