3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10847 times)

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
GO GIT EM!

Your time is now!

Positive thinking and a strong attitude will make the sun shine upon the spirit, the sun shall shine.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Well I was finally in the right stand at the right time. I headed up as soon as I could finish up the days work and was in the Bwana stand by 2:45 pm.

About 40 minutes into the sit I heard running and very loud grunting!! Down below me about 75 yards a doe goes flying through the woods. Chased not by one  but by three big bucks!! In 35 years of bow hunting I have never heard grunting like this. Louder than I can describe to you. All the bucks were nice but one was a Kahuna of a buck.

15 minutes later I hear more chasing and more grunting and another doe goes by down the same trail being chased by 2 more bucks! Both shooters!

they run right down the trail  I have the stand I was in last week when the crab claw showed is face. Crashing and grunting. Then up the hill runs a doe and she stops in a thicket down below me about 25 yards. The Kahuna is trotting up towards her and stops on the other side of the thicket. They both stop and rest. Both deer have their mouths open  and are panting. Then the doe busts up the hill towards me. I turn to my left to get ready to shoot but the doe turns harder to her left and flees being pursued by the giant.
Make a life, not a living

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #562 on: November 13, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I am really hoping that this one works out for you.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #563 on: November 13, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Not two minutes later a doe comes running down the mowed trail that eventually goes right under my stand along the rape field. I have no idea if she is the doe being pursued or a doe that was bumped and is getting out of the way. Then looking in the direction she came from is a big buck trotting down the mowed trail. He enters the rape field and is trotting past me at 10 yards when my 200 grain VPA slams into his side. He actually staggers sideways and I can see the broad head hanging off his far side. He lunges up hill and disappears over the crest of the hill.

I bend over and take a deep breath. I knew at once my entry wound was behind the diaphram and hoped the exit was in front of it. Then I hear a deer trot up and a small one antler 6 point stops and stands right in the spot the buck was when I shot him. He looks back over his back trail and flees. I start to climb down the tree and hear another deer running up . There he is.The KAHUNA!! He is a 12 or 14 point monster! he stops 8 yards from my tree and I am hugging the trunk trying to be invisible. What an animal! what an experience to be so very close to him! finally he winds me, snorts and runs off over the top of the hill!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #564 on: November 13, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #565 on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Don't stop now Jim!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #566 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
I get home and tell Jayne I have a good hit on a good buck . Bill next door is sick with the flu and Jayne readily agrees to help track. We decide to have a quick dinner first. Another hour is only going to help if the hit isn't as good as I hope it is.

We gather what we need and drive the 4 wheeler up to where I left the marker. I place the broadhead in the glove box and we start looking for more blood. There is a drop here and a drop there and we work our way thru the next food plot. Then it got bad. Just a fleck here and a fleck there. Luckily some of the snow was still on the ground and it helped as we had tracks to follow. I Completely lost the blood trail twice only to pick it up in a 90 degree change of direction! Now you have to understand we are going down hill all the time and are approaching the timber and once in the timber it will really get steep!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #567 on: November 13, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
When he hit the timber edge rather than bailing straight down he must have slowed to a walk. then he turned onto a trail that ran the ridge top towards the 90 degree corner stand. The blood spoor had improved tremendously and there were several large splashes here and there. I look ahead and see a possum with his nose in a pool of blood. I shoo it away and continue on down the trail and then there he is!! ! Lodged against the base of a big hickory right on the edge of the cliff!

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #568 on: November 13, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Awesome Jim ! The host gets his chance.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #569 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Congrats Jim...great buck!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #570 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
WOW, he looks pretty beefy....Well Done!   :notworthy:    Does this mean the blog is done.....I hope not!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #571 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
I was having a rough time of it trying to move him and decided to lighten the load there. I normally do not gut my deer in the woods but since i was in a predicament I had no choice. Jayne and I hugged each other and admired what an awesome buck he was.

After gutting him we had a heck of a time getting up a 100 yards to where I could get the ranger close to him. Once we got him on a bench we snapped some photos laughed about what an evening it had been.

I'll try to get some day light pictures tomorrow

I've decided to call that other buck LB short for lucky Bastard!

Now its time to hunt does with Anubis! My Hills county bobcat!

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #572 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Nice, Jim! Congratulations!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #573 on: November 14, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Super job Jim!!!

That's a stud!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Lil' Bow Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #574 on: November 14, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
I've followed this thread from the start and I am so happy for you. Hope your doe hunting goes well too. You deserve it.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #575 on: November 14, 2012, 03:26:00 AM »
Good Shootn'!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #576 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Alright Jim!  I've been keeping right up with every post, so when I saw that I had two unread pages here this morning I knew that something good had happened!  

Congratulations on a fine buck!  Having LB come and stick his tongue out at you will just add to the memories of a very special deer!  As hard as you have hunted and all the effort you have put into making this a thread for the ages makes this one to remember.  Congratulations!!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
Great thread and it shows persistence pays.

I love your tag line, "Make a life, not a living".  It is so true.  I often wish I had had the forsight to purchase some ground when I was a younger man and develop it the way you have.  

Maybe we will meet up at Ryans one day.

D.P.

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Jim nice buck, congratulations, every morning I  come to work, start to computer, to first read your adventures. Thank you so much! Good luck with your doe.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #579 on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Wow, what a season you've had. Congrats!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©