3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10790 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #780 on: December 30, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
there was a good south wind this afternoon and the high was in the low 20's. Perfect for this spot. When I got there the decoy I had left disassembled but leaning against the big oak was covered in snow. I brushed the snow off it and thought what if?

Removing the antlers I set it on the stake out in the middle of the plot and climbed the 20 foot ladder. My wind was blowing directly towards it. But my thinking was it would pull a deer from the right and left and I would shoot well before they got in my scent stream.

Early in the afternoon a doe and two fawns were suddenly standing thirty yards from me eyeing the decoy. They had come up the East Bluff. Deer when approaching from that direction suddenly just pop out into the field. Because the way the hill falls off you just can't see them as they come up.

They spooked. hmm I thought, but I left it out there. At sun set I looked down the field to the West and on that end in front of that stand was a doe feeding.  It threw up its head every once in awhile and stared in my direction at the decoy. Then it did the same thing to the north. Suddenly there were more deer coming into that end of the food plot. I looked to my right to the East and a doe was standing there staring at the decoy. I slowly removed the bow from its hanger.

Then I heard snow crunching directly behind and below me. 5 deer were on the steep trail that comes up directly behind the stand and goes in to the field just to the right of the stand. Perfect!

Fawn #1 goes thru the shooting lane followed by fawns #2 and #3. But both does lock up and are staring at the decoy.ARG!!!! They are both standing in a spot where I can't shoot. The fawns are out in the food plot mere feet away from the decoy and could care less. They are digging for food, kicking snow in all directions. Both does turn to their right and loop around my shooting lane and out in to food plot. Their focus is on the decoy!!, The more dominant doe starts to trot to towards it and goes behind it and you guessed it caught my wind! She snorts ,whirls  and every deer near me and on the other end of the field exit.  So even though the decoy did its job of distracting the deer, had I not set it out, I would have most likely had a 10 yard quartering away shot on an alarmed deer! Darn!!!!

I was shivering now and got down a little early. So it was a littler lighter than normal by the time I am down far enough on the buff to be able to see the lower food plot. I think I am pulling every deer for a mile into the farm. I counted 18 in the plot and  another 8 making their way towards it in the empty corn field in front of the yurt. So that makes for a total 37 deer I saw this afternoon!! My food plots will certainly be exhausted long before I had hoped. I had hoped for enough food to last thru the antler shedding season. I doubt there will be anything left by mid next month.

Tomorrow is the final day. With over thirty deer out back we will certainly try a push in the am.
Make a life, not a living

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #781 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Hang on!Good luck for tomorrow!  :archer2:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #782 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Sound like your decoy is a sister to the one I have. They both have the same effect on the does. Good luck on the final day. I have enjoyed, learned, and have had some of my methods reenforced by your posts. Thank you.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #783 on: December 31, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
last day, best day? here we go one more time.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #784 on: December 31, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Good luck!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #785 on: December 31, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
here is a picture from last night. the three fawns were just to the right and below of the decoy about 1/2 to me

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #786 on: December 31, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
well the one woman push was unsuccessful. Most of the deer all went up the other bluff going past the email stand. But since the wind was wrong i couldn't sit there. Instead I sat in the Ivy stand. I did have one doe come by me at about 8 yards but it was traveling at warp 9 when it went by.

waiting on the deer in the Ivy stand

its a coin toss for this afternoon.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #787 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Bottom of the ninth    ...  no preasure

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #788 on: December 31, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Well as luck would have it, the only shots offered to me tonight were at bucks! But I ended the season on a high note. What a show i had tonight.

With the wind wrong for where I was last night ( man I wanted to sit there again)I decided to hunt smart and hunt lower apple alley.

As I eased up over the first little hump at the bottom of the long narrow valley my worst fear took hold. Three does had been laying just above it and off they ran right up the alley! With no where else to go I continued the short 45 yards further up to the stand. Just as i got to it I looked up Rattlesnake ridge and watch as 6 deer switch backed up the bluff.

I stood for a long time at the base of the tree thinking. Those deer ran right where I had expected deer to be coming down in about 90 minutes. But with so very many deer hitting the turnips below, I climbed three with confidence that the day still held promise.

It wasn't long till i spotted movement up on the top of that bluff. four deer were switch backing down in my direction. The first two out were in a hurry to hit the food buffet line. They trotted on down and were at least 40 yards from me at the nearest. The second two hung up on the edge of the timber on the other side of the narrow meadow. They acted like they had spotted me or something they didn't like. After standing for quite some time they turned and began going back up the bluff. I watched them go up about 50 yards and then they just stood there frozen for the next 30 minutes. Then above them the parade started to head down. Seven deer were coming down in single file with the buck we have been seeing for a month now that has a broken front right leg leading the group. My neighbor had been watching this buck in his food plots for a month. Just last week he showed up minus his head gear. Unfortunately every single deer behind him chose to follow his path and he followed the path of those first two that had hurried down to the food earlier.

Not five minutes later three more does appeared slightly to the right of where the others had come out. The two smaller ones headed down at a walk, while the third and largest began to browse on the lower branches of one of the apple trees. Suddenly she became alert and was staring up the meadow towards where the clover is. I knew instantly more deer must be coming. I  could see two deer moving through the trees.  They were on the mowed trail on my side of the meadow and would be walking right past me. The first was a young Y buck but the second was a great 10 point. Much nicer than the buck I killed. He went right by me at 15 yards!! He never had a clue I was there!

By now my hands were freezing and felt like rocks. Finally that bigger doe started down hill and at first she was coming my way. But she turned and gave no chance for a shot.

It wasn't long till it was time to go. I pretended that buck was still there and drew the widow back.
I let down satisfied that had I held a valid buck tag , that buck would have been in trouble. Just then I heard a crunch and down to my left two small does were heading back up my way! But it was past legal time and I hung up the bow and let the season end as it did with just one tag punched.

So It's over. 2012 was my 37th year bow hunting and I can genuinely say I think it was my best yet.

Happy New Year everyone. May 2013 bring you adventure.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #789 on: December 31, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Thank you for taking us along this season! I have truly enjoyed your daily hunt postings!  God bless and happy new year!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #790 on: December 31, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
You've really brought a lot of enjoyment to a whole bunch of bowhunters on TradGang with this thread.  Thank you for taking the time daily to spend time with us in your deer woods.  You have a great piece of property!     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #791 on: December 31, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
one last look at a mega doe

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #792 on: December 31, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
She is HUGE! Should name her "Big Bertha"...She probally had more fella's chasin her this year and looks like she lost a front leg?

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #793 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I just joined today, but i've been reading this since the start. Great story thanks for sharing.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #794 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I appreciate all the work you did to take us along,thanks Larry.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #795 on: December 31, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Jim,thanks for taking us along,I've really enjoyed this thread. Have a Happy New Year.
   Roger

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #796 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Jim, thanks for the time and effort that you put into this thread. I don't post much on this site, but I checked this thread just about everyday, it's sad to see it come to an end this year.  Hopefully, it will start back up next year. Have a Happy New Year.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #797 on: December 31, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us hunting with you this year Jim.  It has been great following your hunting season all year.  I hope you do it again in 2013.

Happy New Year Take Care.

Burton

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #798 on: December 31, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks Jim!! I hope to read your adventures next year  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #799 on: January 01, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Thank's for the time and effort you put into this great thread, Jim!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©